cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tips for Buying Used Books on the Internet

One of the first used books I ever bought online I was very disappointed in. First of all, it showed up on my doorstep in nothing but a poly bag and came a little mangled. The picture in the listing did not match the book I received in the mail (they used a stock photo.) It was the same title but was a reprint, revised and edited by another author and the date did not match the date in the listing title. Needless to say I wasn't to happy with my purchase.

I later got the book I wanted from a smaller book seller that had real pictures of the book in the listing so there wouldn't be any suprises when I got it in the mail and it was packaged with the utmost care.

In this post I'm going to highlight the pros and cons of buying books from larger book sellers vs smaller book sellers. Both have their pros and cons and this is in no way trying to bash either. 

Larger book sellers

Pros

Bigger selection
Larger book sellers have more of a variety of books to choose from.

Cheaper prices
Large book sellers tend to have cheaper prices and can afford to even take losses on some books.

Cons

Lost, misplaced inventory, or out of stock
Having so much inventory, they have a higher likelyhood of having lost, misplaced, or out of stock inventory or even may have accidentally relisted a book they don't have. This can lead to them having to cancel your order.

Poor shipping quality
Many larger used book sellers sell their books so cheap that they need to cut costs and have a speedy shipping process. Many just slide their used books in a non padded poly mailer and often books arrive damaged.

They don't take pictures of their used books
Larger book sellers don't take pictures of their used books for sale. They use the stock photo and title that is automatically generated when they enter the ISBN number. This causes two issues. The first is the date may be wrong asany editions of the same book have the same ISBN number. The second is the picture is often times not the actual photo of the book they are selling. This also doesn't allow you to see the condition of the book you're receiving.

Longer waiting for inquiries
Larger used book sellers tend to take longer to respond to questions and concerns.

Smaller book sellers

Pros

Multiple pictures of the used book for sale
Smaller used book sellers tend to take multiple pictures of the books they are selling. This allows you to get a better idea of the edition and condition of the book you are getting in the mail so there is no suprise.

Better shipping quality
Smaller sellers tend to take more care in shipping their used books so you get the book in the same condition it left their home.

Less chance of lost, missplaced or out of stock
Smaller used book sellers don't have as much inventory so there is less of a chance they lost, missplaced or have an active listing for something that is no longer available.

Faster response to inquiries
Smaller used book sellers tend to respond to customer questions and concerns as they aren't as busy as the larger sellers.

Cons

Less of a selection
Smaller used book sellers may not have the exact book you're looking for. Because in many cases they're operating out of their homes or a small warehouse they may not have as much space to store as many books as larger sellers.

Slightly higher prices
Smaller used book sellers tend to have slightly higher prices due to the fact that they spend more time listing, taking pictures, and making sure the used books are packaged properly.

Conclusion

Larger book sellers have major operations and as such have a higher likelyhood of making mistakes. They have great prices, but sometimes buying from them is like playing the lottery. You could get a first edition signed copy in great condition, or you could end up with a later reprint that got demolished in the mail. 

Smaller book sellers take the time to properly list the books with pictures and make sure they're shipped in a way so that it gets to you in the same condition it left them. Many times smaller used book sellers are just individuals and couples just trying to feed their family and earn an honest living and take great joy in providing great reading material to their customers. They generally have their hand in every aspect of the business from buying the books, to listing, to customer service, the shipping the books out.

While I am smaller used book seller myself and this post may sound biased towards smaller book sellers, I provided a pretty accurate assessment of how it actually works in most cases. However, this isn't a blanket assessment that applies to all large and small book sellers. This is just the way it tends to be in most cases.

If you just want to get the best prices possible and a bigger selection to choose from, buy used books from a larger seller.

If you want to support a smaller used book seller who takes the time to make better listings with multiple real pictures and ships more securely, buy from a smaller seller.

I hope this article has helped you in making a decision on the best way for you to buy used books online.

If you'd like, check out our store and see if we have some books you might want to add to your reading collection. Some are common books and some are rare and hard to find. We also carry various other used products as well.

I also just started a writing project to help adults with mental health issues who suffered from child abuse. I grew up in an abusive household and overcame a lot of struggles and it's my life goal to help those who've suffered similar struggles. Any purchases from my store helps me get closer to reaching my goals of helping people. The last thing I want to do is grow old and regret not doing my best to help as many people as possible.

Thank you for taking the time to read this post!
My goal is live each day a little better than the last.
Message 1 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

Re: Tips for Buying Used Books on the Internet

Alas!  I do miss the old days of used book stores where one could browse and often find those out of the ordinary finds.

"It is an intelligent man that is aware of his own ignorance."
Message 2 of 3
latest reply

Re: Tips for Buying Used Books on the Internet

Indeed.

Thanks for the reply:)

My goal is live each day a little better than the last.
Message 3 of 3
latest reply