cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The seller cancelled and refunded order: I use Chase bank, and I purchased with a Debit card

Does anyone know how this will go? I don't see it on my bank balance that the money is back. I already feel the seller has cut off contact and won't respond again to sort this.

Message 1 of 20
latest reply
19 REPLIES 19

Re: The seller cancelled and refunded order: I use Chase bank, and I purchased with a Debit card

It should go back to your bank account but it sometimes takes several days.  You used your debit card, but did it go through Paypal?  If so, it will go to them first and then have to be transfered back to your bank.

By the way, your seller has no idea how the money got to him or what method you used to pay.  He would not be able to answer your question.  All he sees is the money showing up in his Paypal account, he never sees where it came from. 

This is all assuming the seller is not signed up for eBay's new payment system.  That is so new that we don't really know how a refund would travel through that system but I would suspect it would be similar. 

----------------------------
Successful and experienced seller since 1997, over 70,000 feedback, boardie since the boards were begun.
Message 2 of 20
latest reply

Re: The seller cancelled and refunded order: I use Chase bank, and I purchased with a Debit card

I did not use Paypal, that is why I mentioned in the title that I used my Debit card...

Why would and how could I look at Paypal?

Does anyone else know what will happen if I did NOT use Paypal? Thank you.

Message 3 of 20
latest reply

The cancellation invoice says it was refunded "back to my original payment method" that means my debit card since that is what I used. The seller also said they received my money immediately, so it's not like there is a discrepancy on my end.

Message 4 of 20
latest reply

The payment processor will then forward the money back. 

Unfortunately this does not happen immediately.

Message 5 of 20
latest reply

I'm sorry. It's 2am, I work 15 hours a day, and I normally don't do this because normally deliveries go flawlessly. Basically I'm too tired and so I'll need layman terms. What do you mean "payment processor"? I just want to know where the money is or when it will be here, how it will be sent/from whom, how I can contact them and check on status, and how it will read on my statement.

It will be lovely if any responses are from people who use Chase/who have dealt with this before. I need peace of mind. 

Message 6 of 20
latest reply

I am sorry you work very long hours and this is giving you stress. But be patient if the seller sent a refund they did, and it will eventually show up...have a great day
Message 7 of 20
latest reply

I can't be sure of that because these people are scammers, hence the cancellation. They did not have my product and will not ship it. I can't just assume they will send it so I want confirmation. I'm asking who do I confirm with besides those liars? eBay, my bank, or Paypal (though I didn't use it)? 

Message 8 of 20
latest reply

Okay -- let's start at the beginning.

You purchased and paid.

The seller cancelled your purchase.

• Unless the reason was "Buyer Request" he got a Defect for cancelling. And yes, some sellers do lie about this.

You were told that you were refunded.

• By whom? Was this a formal Message from eBay or an email from the seller?

The seller is a scammer.

• What makes you think this? Is the selling account still active?  Is the item still available? Note that some sellers are very risk averse/ paranoid and will not sell to 0 feedback or new/Guest buyers. (These people are also pretty stupid, so getting a sensible answer from them is difficult.)

You paid with a debit card.

• The payment processor is usually Paypal.
  • Debit card payments are basically e-checks. They take time to be cleared by the banking system. This is fast in a shop with a card machine, much slower online.
  • Your seller may have panicked when your debit card payment showed as Pending clearance.

You have not seen the refund reappear in the bank account attached to the debit card.

• It takes just as long for a debit card payment to be returned as it did to clear.
  • The money would go to your account. Which should be the same as your card . (Sorry, got confused with credit cards there.)

Do you have the eBay transaction number? Do you have something that takes you to the original listing?

The eBay Resolution Centre is at the bottom of this page.

Open an Item Not Received Dispute.

Say in the Dispute that you are a Guest Buyer.

This is a member to member Board so very few of us have dealt with your situation as buyers.

So guesswork.

If the refund has been sent, you will be told within the Dispute. You may not even be able to open the Dispute.

Don't panic.

This just means that the refund is taking longer than you would like, not that it won't happen.

If the seller has not refunded, he will be required to prove Delivery (not shipping, delivery) or to refund you.

If he doesn't refund promptly and voluntarily, eBay will and go after him for their money.

I'd suggest talking to a human being at your bank, the head teller or manager and asking to be notified by phone or email when the money returns to your account. This may not actually be possible, but ask anyway. It will give you an idea of how interested in your business your bank branch really is.

In my opinion the safest way to pay for anything online is with a Paypal account backed by a CREDIT card, because your financial information is anonymized and the seller has no access to it.

• Your payment is also truly instant out of your card and into the seller's pocket.
  • If you are refunded the payment goes to your card not to the processor (your Paypal account).
  • Paypal (and other payment processors) have strong Buyer Protection policies.

The second safest way to buy online is with a CREDIT card, because you are protected by the card's chargeback policy.

Message 9 of 20
latest reply

@reallynicestamps wrote:

Okay -- let's start at the beginning.

You purchased and paid.

The seller cancelled your purchase.

• Unless the reason was "Buyer Request" he got a Defect for cancelling. And yes, some sellers do lie about this.

You were told that you were refunded.

• By whom? Was this a formal Message from eBay or an email from the seller?

The seller is a scammer.

• What makes you think this? Is the selling account still active?  Is the item still available? Note that some sellers are very risk averse/ paranoid and will not sell to 0 feedback or new/Guest buyers. (These people are also pretty stupid, so getting a sensible answer from them is difficult.)

You paid with a debit card.

• The payment processor is usually Paypal.
  • Debit card payments are basically e-checks. They take time to be cleared by the banking system. This is fast in a shop with a card machine, much slower online.
  • Your seller may have panicked when your debit card payment showed as Pending clearance.

You have not seen the refund reappear in the bank account attached to the debit card.

• It takes just as long for a debit card payment to be returned as it did to clear.
  • The money would go to your account. Which should be the same as your card . (Sorry, got confused with credit cards there.)

Do you have the eBay transaction number? Do you have something that takes you to the original listing?

The eBay Resolution Centre is at the bottom of this page.

Open an Item Not Received Dispute.

Say in the Dispute that you are a Guest Buyer.

This is a member to member Board so very few of us have dealt with your situation as buyers.

So guesswork.

If the refund has been sent, you will be told within the Dispute. You may not even be able to open the Dispute.

Don't panic.

This just means that the refund is taking longer than you would like, not that it won't happen.

If the seller has not refunded, he will be required to prove Delivery (not shipping, delivery) or to refund you.

If he doesn't refund promptly and voluntarily, eBay will and go after him for their money.

I'd suggest talking to a human being at your bank, the head teller or manager and asking to be notified by phone or email when the money returns to your account. This may not actually be possible, but ask anyway. It will give you an idea of how interested in your business your bank branch really is.

In my opinion the safest way to pay for anything online is with a Paypal account backed by a CREDIT card, because your financial information is anonymized and the seller has no access to it.

• Your payment is also truly instant out of your card and into the seller's pocket.
  • If you are refunded the payment goes to your card not to the processor (your Paypal account).
  • Paypal (and other payment processors) have strong Buyer Protection policies.

The second safest way to buy online is with a CREDIT card, because you are protected by the card's chargeback policy.

This is all good information but debit cards are instant just like credit cards 

“Birth certificates show that you were born. Death certificates show that you died. Photographs show that you have lived.” -Unknown
Message 10 of 20
latest reply

@st.astap.mgx8yv wrote:

I can't be sure of that because these people are scammers, hence the cancellation. They did not have my product and will not ship it. I can't just assume they will send it so I want confirmation. I'm asking who do I confirm with besides those liars? eBay, my bank, or Paypal (though I didn't use it)? 

You can be sure of that because a cancellation automatically includes a refund.  eBay doesn't offer a way to cancel and not refund I'm the process.  So if you got an official cancellation you got a refund.  

“Birth certificates show that you were born. Death certificates show that you died. Photographs show that you have lived.” -Unknown
Message 11 of 20
latest reply

sob Stressing.

This thread was made before I got an email from eBay, after I argued with the seller making them prove cancellation and refunding with a "transaction ID" that I'm still waiting on PayPal to confirm exists. Even though I have recently checked my email, and eBay and PayPal confirm cancellation and a refund to my VISA card, because I'm still worried since they say it will take days, and then the information from PayPal is incorrect! It says on Dec 9th I was refunded. I didn't even order on the 9th! I ordered on the 10th. And the arguing and refunding all happened on the 13th and was made official early the 14th. triumph This is why I don't want to deal with PayPal nor eBay. After this I never will again, back to Amazon for me. 

Thank you so much for your help, but please keep a lookout for my update just in case I need more answers if this fails. 

Message 12 of 20
latest reply

No.

The debit card draws from a bank balance.

The bank must verify that there is enough in the user's balance to cover the purchase.

This is why I call it a 'cheque'.

Debit cards can take a few days to verify that they have cleared.

and a refund to my VISA card,

Is this a credit card?

Or is this a debit card?

I understand that in the USA both may be the same card, with the user choosing which she will pay with, but this is not true here in Canada, where the two are separate.

Message 13 of 20
latest reply

takes a average of 3 days for refund to show up in your bank Chase...pretty much standard for all banks.

Message 14 of 20
latest reply

@reallynicestamps wrote:

No.

The debit card draws from a bank balance.

The bank must verify that there is enough in the user's balance to cover the purchase.

This is why I call it a 'cheque'.

Debit cards can take a few days to verify that they have cleared.

and a refund to my VISA card,

Is this a credit card?

Or is this a debit card?

I understand that in the USA both may be the same card, with the user choosing which she will pay with, but this is not true here in Canada, where the two are separate.

Yes it comes from the bank but it still clears instantly with PayPal and works as a back up source for a Bank account payment. I had a debit card only with no credit card for years in PayPal it was always instant.  Even if you don’t have enough money it goes through your bank just goes overdrawn.  

Message 15 of 20
latest reply