cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thanks for nothing, Ebay.

Why do promos/discounts/coupons only apply to purchases on the app? 🙄

And can't they state that right in the subject of the email or on the promo image itself without having to click on the "See details" link?

I find it a bit unfair, IMO.

(End of rant)

*lady*madonna*
Volunteer Ebay Community Mentor

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Some might say, that eBay does save money when buyers make purchases they may not otherwise undertake, & later realize they are to blame for not having read the details beforehand, learning they are unfortunately not in compliance with the offer ?

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

@*lady*madonna* wrote:

Why do promos/discounts/coupons only apply to purchases on the app?

I don't use the app, but I find the promotions are split pretty evenly. There seem to me to be as many that can be used on the desktop as are restricted to the app. Unless you've actually been tracking the offers you've received? Keep in mind, we don't all receive the same offers.

Online shopping is being done on apps more and more. eBay is only trying to court those shoppers. Makes sense to me. I don't think restricting it to app transactions is any different than any online retailer that requires a minimum order amount or whatnot before a discount can be applied. Same diff.

As far as identifying whether the promotion is restricted to the app, the ads I've noticed are pretty clear about it upfront. (I don't have a current promo on my home page, so I can't address the one you might be seeing.) People ought to read the details of all eBay's promotions anyway, because they may have other restrictions as well, such as minimum or maximum purchases, category exclusions, etc., so I don't see that as a problem at all.

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

@pburn 

The coupon came in my email only. There was no mention of the app requirement in the subject of the email nor on the graphic of the coupon. After being very pleased with the the generous coupon amount, due to several items currently in my Watchlist, I clicked on "See details" to see how long I had to redeem it (view the promo expiration date/time), and only then I saw that it was restricted to members using the app. It was disappointing to say the least. At this point in time, you would think that Ebay would try to give ALL buyers  a bit of enticement to encourage spending.

I DO completely understand that some online shoppers do prefer using apps, but I do not approve of companies giving preference to those shoppers over other shoppers who prefer to use the website. A bit discriminatory, perhaps?

I thank you for your reply, though.

*lady*madonna*

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

@ed8108 wrote:

Some might say, that eBay does save money when buyers make purchases they may not otherwise undertake, & later realize they are to blame for not having read the details beforehand, learning they are unfortunately not in compliance with the offer ?

I agree that Ebay may be somewhat duplicitous in that they may intentionally leave out that important detail about the app in the subject line of the email and on the coupon itself being full aware that some buyers don't always click on "See details" before they commit to the purchase, therefore it would mean Ebay would be off the hook for the discounted amount of sale.

Its like dangling a carrot in front of a horse, but if the horse does not have the right equipment, there is no carrot.

*lady*madonna*

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

I went to My ebay > Summary and founds this under COUPONS:

$10.00 off your purchase of $20.00 or more in-app only. See conditions

Redemption code: YUSAPPQ9N9LDN9QMExpires 06/09/20

disneyshopper
Volunteer Community Member

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

i never look for coupons but I did just check where you said and I have the same exact promotion right down to the code.It mentions the app right away so maybe it just got overlooked by other users

Germantown proud Germantown strong
up the whiskey hickon
moving right along
Message 7 of 11
latest reply

@1tuna 

@disneyshopper 

No mention of the app anywhere unless you click on details.

See pics.

*lady*madonna*

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

See my reply #6.

The "in app" is part of the SUBJECT TITLE when I went to My ebay > Summary

disneyshopper
Volunteer Community Member

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

@disneyshopper wrote:

See my reply #6.

The real question is this: WHY does eBay insist on encouraging the use of its App, to an extent where it even hands out money if you do? If you can think of any other reason than, "Because market research shows that 99.9% of shoppers order using their phone," I am curious to read your thoughts.

PW🐿

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

@disneyshopper wrote:

See my reply #6.

In this thread, I am only referring to the email from Ebay, no reference to the app in the subject title of THE EMAIL nor on the coupon itself shown in THE EMAIL, as proven by my pictures.

*lady*madonna*

Message 11 of 11
latest reply