cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Taxes

If I were to drive to another State to buy an item I would pay that States sales tax not tax to my home State. It should be no different if I were to buy something on eBay from another State and had it shipped. I should pay that States sales tax not my home State sales tax. What this would do is make States compete for business by lowering their sales tax. This is a good thing for those States and for the consumer. New York State has one of the highest sales taxes in the country and they don't want to compete with other States for internet sales so they force their New York citizens to pay New York sales tax for out of State purchases. On the other had someone living outside of New York State and buys an item from New York State they don't pay New York sales tax they pay their own State sales tax which is most likely much lower than New York State sales tax. This is a tax law no doubt drawn up by Cuomo and pushed by him because that is typical of what he does and that is to bring down tyranny on New York residents who can only break free by either moving out of the State which also has one of the highest income taxes in the country or try voting them out which is near impossible because they have turned this State into a communist State run by Democrat dictatorship. Guns laws are also unconstitutional. We have no freedom in this State which is run by tyrants. 

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Re: Taxes

Sales tax have nothing to do with where you live or the location of the seller.  They are always about place of final delivery.  You driving to another state and buying something makes the final delivery point that other state.  

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

@goldenearsyears,

When you shop on ebay, if your registered address is a N.Y. one, you pay their sales tax.  It doesn't matter if you travel to N.J. or Pa. and buy from there.  If you live close enough to a state bordering N.Y.  to make it worthwhile, go there and get a private mail box in that state and change your ebay registration information. Otherwise, your stuck paying N.Y.'s confiscatory taxes.

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 3 of 10
latest reply

You are not telling me something that I don't already know. Read my post. I'm telling you why I think it's wrong and a bad law. 

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

STATES SHOULD HAVE TO COMPETE WITH OTHER STATES FOR BUSINESS! IF I HAD THE CHOICE TO SHOP AT THE STATE WITH THE LOWEST SALES TAX NEW YORK STATE WOULD HAVE TO LOWER THEIR SALES TAX OR GUESS WHAT NOBODY WILL SHOP ONLINE IN NEW YORK STATE, NEW YORK RESIDENTS WILL SHOP IN STATES WITH THE LOWEST SALES TAX JUST LIKE THEY WOULD DO IF THEY DROVE TO THAT STATE AND BOUGHT SOMETHING. SHIPPING SHOULDN'T CHANGE THAT. I BUY FROM THAT STATE I PAY THAT STATES SALES TAX! IF NEW YORK WANTS MY ONLINE BUSINESS THEN COMPETE AND LOWER YOUR SALES TAX. COMUNISTS DON'T COMPETE THOUGH, THEY DICTATE. 

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

If your statement about states lowering state sales tax to compete with other states, wouldn't more states have lower state sales tax? 

Let's face it -- probably the majority of us do most of our shopping in the state where we live.  Why bother to take the time, to say nothing of spending the gas money, to drive to an adjacent state to save a minimum amount of money on a birthday gift? A new coffee pot? That would be especially true for those of us who live close to the center of a big state, like Texas, for instance.  

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

This governor is up to his ears in scandal. He oppresses second amendment and first amendment rights. He murders babies up until the day they are born, he sends old people to their deaths in nursing homes, he sexually harasses women, there's the Buffalo billion scandal. He bullies people to get his way. He needs to resign! 

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

@goldenearsyears,

"IF I HAD THE CHOICE TO SHOP AT THE STATE WITH THE LOWEST SALES TAX NEW YORK STATE WOULD HAVE TO LOWER THEIR SALES TAX OR GUESS WHAT NOBODY WILL SHOP ONLINE IN NEW YORK STATE".

I guess that's why about half of the cars in the lots of the malls around Paramus N.J. have N.Y. plates on them.  I pay my state's 6% sales tax even if I buy from a no sales tax state seller. eBay didn't make the laws, they are just forced to enforce them. 

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 8 of 10
latest reply

Then your time would be better spent getting NY'ers to  petition the government of the state, as there is nothing eBay can change as they have to follow the legal requirements of each state as determined by said government

I have been imported from Australia and this is my posting ID
Message 9 of 10
latest reply

@goldenearsyears 

At the end of the day, application of sales tax on internet orders encourages local b&m purchases.  That’s where the money is - not only sales tax, but payroll and income.  

Message 10 of 10
latest reply