cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Survey interferes with bidding process

Last night I missed out on an item because during the last few minutes of bidding an eBay survey kept popping up and stopped me from following others bids or making my own bid.  After the auction finished, the survey stopped popping up.

What’s going on here and how to avoid it?

Others have reported a similar problem:

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Ask-a-Mentor/Hacking/td-p/33943656

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Ask-a-Mentor/Survey-problem/m-p/33959930/thread-id/499813

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

You might want to look into using a bid snipe service. You can enter your bid amount ahead of time and the service will place the bid for you.  Also handy when listing end at a time you can't be at a computer.

Message 2 of 13
latest reply

Same thing just happened to me 

Message 3 of 13
latest reply

What exactly did you see? Which page exactly did you see this on? Can you give me as much details as possible? Detailed descriptions, screenshots, anything. I see a lot of complaints on the threads but not enough information to try and nail the problem.

I can try to help get this fixed. Thanks.

Message 4 of 13
latest reply

Whenever I have auctions I really care about, or a lot of auctions (sometimes I'm watching and bidding on 50-100 auctions on a Sunday night between 7-10p) i have my phone & computer out. I have 2 devices set up, and I enter the bid amount on both devices, and click to enter the bid on both devices. That way, I double my chances of my bid being successfully placed!

Do i sound nuts? Does it sound like overkill?

Then you haven't had your phone die, or your cell signal/data connection go out, or your computer crash, or someone call you or any other intrusive thing happen to you in the middle of bidding on an auction you really care about. Ive literally had so many DIFFERENT things go wrong that I take extra measures.

Heck, I was out once so I had to use my phone as my mobile hotspot to get internet on my computer... a few mins b4 the auction my phone decided to die (i didnt notice battery was low, dumby). So phone is dead and cant bid on it and comluter has no internet cuz phone is dead .... soooo I had to quick plug in my phone, reboot it, and i literally got to my EBay app on my phone with maybe 15-20 seconds to spare .... I bid and won 😉 boy was I lucky and a very happy camper.

Message 5 of 13
latest reply

Thanks for responding

Unfortunately no screenshots.  It occurred during bidding near the end of this auction:

https://www.ebay.com/bfl/viewbids/404591414328?item=404591414328&rt=nc&_trksid=p4429486.m145235.l256...

I was using my phone to bid and the survey would pop up covering nearly the whole screen with a bunch of questions around satisfaction with the bidding process.  I answered them one time and it popped  up again. I then kept hitting the X to close it, but it kept popping up.

You can see in the bid history, 3 of us bid $485 in the last minute and because if the survey issue, I was unable to see this before the auction ended.

Message 6 of 13
latest reply

Just curious: How can you "try to help get this fixed"?

Are you an eBay employee? 

Message 7 of 13
latest reply

When I look at the bid history you've supplied, I don't understand either.

Because, according to eBay, when/if there is a tie, as in this case, the win goes to the first bidder which would have been you.

Also, nibble bidding is quite often not successful.  Plus adding a few cents to your bid like $485.13 should have made you the winner also.  

Message 8 of 13
latest reply

PS:  Ignore my 1st statement -- just realized you were not the 1st bidder at $485.

The rest of my message is still true, however.  

Message 9 of 13
latest reply

This happened only in the last 30 seconds or so? Because I do not see this survey popup when bidding on any item right now and I'm using an iPhone as well. Wondering what triggers this pop-up and if it's only during crunch time.

Message 10 of 13
latest reply

It seemed like the survey popped up 2 or 3 times in the last few minutes but only started popping up super frequently during the last minute. 

Message 11 of 13
latest reply

I'm a seller with multiple accounts on eBay and some of my buyers are complaining about this. Trying to work with customer support to get this fixed, but they need as much details as they can get but I can't seem to reproduce this either so don't know what to tell them.

Message 12 of 13
latest reply

eBay said the issue has now been fixed! 🙂

Message 13 of 13
latest reply