cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Suggestions from someone who buys more often than sells here- (Elephant in the room)

I would have thought this had come up before, but I'm not finding it..or it's available, but I've missed it...or I may be dropping a large stone in this particular pond... sorry, I sometimes blurt out the truth.

1: In any case, as a regular buyer, I wish Ebay would give the user the option of blocking certain sellers from their search results. Imho there are some sellers that have a fairly toxic feedback profile- they may or may not be ok but I'd rather not deal with them. It's really annoying to keep doing basic filtering manually.

2: A bit more to the point- it looks to me like the entire feedback system with " top rated sellers" is more or less fraudulent. When a seller with huge total transaction numbers and +99% positive score turns out to have something like 40- 102 complaints in ONE MONTH without posting any kind of comment, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to get the probability of shill sales to paper over the stats. ( This is one area where at least there is some data tranparency over Amazon, who has the very same deadbeat con artists but only  a chronological FB history to wade through.) I wish ebay would do some house cleaning. But they get the fees, dont care apparently notwithstanding all the virtue verbiage to the contrary.

I kinda had it with ebay as a seller back when, they decided a seller could not post truthful negative feedback on a deadbeat buyer. Did that nonsense policy get reversed?

In closing: " The hardest thing to explain is the glaringly evident, which everybody had decided not to see." Ayn Rand -Atlas Shrugged

Will be interested to read any comments. Thank you for your time.

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Re: Suggestions from someone who buys more often than sells here- (Elephant in the room)

I agree buyers should have the option to block certain sellers. Then again we are supposed to be able to block items shipped from other countries by filtering thrm out, but there is an epidemic of sellers claiming to be in US when they are halfway around the world. I have a feeling a lot of them are all in on big "ebay scam farm" building so even if we blocked sellers xyz, theyre in the cubicle next to sellers def who we didnt know to block. There has to be a way to police that.

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

Re: Suggestions from someone who buys more often than sells here- (Elephant in the room)

You can exclude sellers from your search
https://www.ebay.com/sch/ebayadvsearch
Scroll down to sellers and do it there.

It's not perfect and it's not what we really need but it's better than nothing
Message 3 of 6
latest reply

@eclik*tek,

While I agree in principle there should be an easier way to block sellers, using that instead of checking feedback profiles could lead to the same problems you have mentioned.  I pay no attention to seller status, and check each seller's profile before bidding or buying.  It is not unusual to find a seller whose rating is 100% but they have never sold before or in over a year, they may have a decent feedback number, but they are still newbies and can have issues.

If you know what to look for, by checking a profile, it could help you avoid scams on hijacked  or hacked accounts. 

As for highvolume sellers, if I see a feedback percetage below 99.6% I check their profile to find out what their issues are.  I will not buy from anyhigh volume seller who has less than a 99% rating at all.

Low volume sellers are a different matter since 1 negative can drop their feedback percentage in the dirt.  You would need to check their profile to see why they have the rating they do. They might have gotten one on their first sale for many reasons, it could be a numpty buyer, or someone who doesn't like that they used styro-peanuts as packing material. 

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 4 of 6
latest reply

First item has been talked to death here, both Pro and Con.

Second item also.  I don't focus on percentages though.  I glance through the comments and see what they're about, then make a gut instinct decision as to whether or not those problems are likely to affect me.  Some are more or less product specific about items I'm not buying.

Forget keeping up with the Joneses. Be the Finklegrubers!
OK kids, time to get the Dodge loaded up again. I hear 'Poppy's By the Tree' calling. This trip might be a long one too.
Message 5 of 6
latest reply

Most likely you were blocked if you had a bad transaction with a seller.  You just don't know it, but would if you tried to buy from them again.

No, Ebay has not changed their 2008 ruling.

Message 6 of 6
latest reply