cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Silver Dollar Fakes.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Started this silver dollar collecting three years ago, sat down today to make a list of all my Morgan's in the replaced, with higher grade coins and found a counterfeit 1884-P.  Purchased in September 2020, the listing was a bit goofy... 1884-P Morgan dollar very fine-MS.  Cost was only $44.99, when I got it in the mail it seemed a bit heavy, only slightly worn with a odd grey brassy color, the readed edge was so sharp it could be used as a tool file. Was forced to pound it into the Whitman folder because it's a tad larger,  replacing it years later with a graded mint state coin.  Also purchased a  1878-s Trade dollar that was fake, had a dull grey fuzzy look to it, did not ring the correct note, and had dozens of little tiny pits. With a bargin 20X microscope could see the inside of the pits was in fact very nice copper.  ***For the past month, and today we have a seller who is buffing fine, to AU Morgan dollars with diamond dust, creating nice cartwheels.*** How many 1880's New Orleans dollars in fine condition have cartwheels..... ZERO.  Be careful folks, read up on fakes, counterfeits, replica's.

Message 1 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

Silver Dollar Fakes.

It is always a good idea to inspect purchases on the day of delivery, not 3 years later.

I don’t buy coins and the like, but thanks for the heads up anyway.

Message 2 of 3
latest reply

Silver Dollar Fakes.

@Anonymous,

It does not matter if you collect coins, comic books, stamps, trading cards, movie posters ...  you should always learn how to spot fakes, and check your purchases out as soon as you receive them.  Especially, if you buy them online.  Had you done that, you could have used the Money Back Guarantee to get a refund.

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 3 of 3
latest reply