cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Selling unusable items under the "used" description

I paid $70.00 for a Snap-On ratchet that was listed as "used."  The price seemed appropriate for this used ratchet.  I looked over the pictures carefully and did not see any problems except for some chrome missing in spots.  That is common for used tools.

What I received was a ratchet that is so worn, it is unsafe to use.   I immediately contacted the seller, wanting to return the item with me paying the return shipping cost. 

The seller refused to allow me to return the item (doesn't do returns) so I opened up a case, but was confused on how to open it up.  The item was used, so I figured I couldn't do the "Item not as described" case.  I simply wanted ebay's help to return the item.

The case was closed in the seller's favor because the seller convinced ebay that I knew the item was "used" and that I could exchange the ratchet for a new Snap-On ratchet under Snap-On's warranty.  That is a lie, as Snap-On doesn't consider worn out tools as a warranty issue.  The seller also claimed that I should have asked them more questions about the item and also requested more pictures, etc.  In other words, I bought a flea market or yard sale level item on ebay and paid for a tool that I assumed was usable because of the price the seller was asking for it.  Apparently, ebay didn't think the listing was fraudulent under their guidelines.

Ebay suggested that I open up a case under Paypal, which is what I will do next.

Finally to the question.  Does ebay not have some sort of policy governing used items as to the level of "used?"  Many e-commerce sites make the seller rate the used item, using a 1-10 scale.  It seems like, under ebay, I can pass off unusable junk as simply "used" and get away with sticking it to unexpecting buyers like this seller did me, simply refusing returns (even if the buyer wants to pay for the return).   All they can do is leave me negative feedback.  In the meantime, I am laughing all the way to the bank. 

Unfortunately, I did not use a credit card for this purchase.  Shame on me, as I knew better.  So, it looks like the loop-hole for abominable sellers is to hope buyers don't do any further steps than to hope ebay resolves the issue?  Ebay told me I should have opened up the case under "Item not as described."  Really?  So, how do I report a used item as not being a used item?  So, I should have opened up a NAD case, then stated the item was too used to be useful?  Now, I don't know about anyone else, but I found that to be a bit confusing.

So, what would be the ultimate solution to guard against deceitful sellers...require them to rate the used item on a 1-10 scale of how used it is to try to make things more honest?  Why hasn't ebay considered using this rating approach for used items?

I kept wondering why the ball was getting bigger. Then it hit me.
Message 1 of 31
latest reply
30 REPLIES 30

Selling unusable items under the "used" description

Update:

Paypal determined the case in my favor and allowed me to return the item back to the seller.  Originally, the item was sent to me with free shipping.  So, I paid the return shipping with tracking verification.  Once verified that the seller received the item, I was reimbursed the $70.00. 

So, case closed.  Lesson learned.  Thank you all for your help!  Now hoping I can return the favor in helping someone else.  🙂

I kept wondering why the ball was getting bigger. Then it hit me.
Message 31 of 31
latest reply