cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Seller sent to wrong address but same zip code

Today an received a notification about an item being delivered today. This is two days before the estimated shipping time. The moment I saw the notification, it being an expensive item, I checked all around my residence and neighbors mailboxes and could not find the item.

I then contacted USPS, gave them the tracking number where they said it was delivered but to a place several miles away from my address, not the address i provided to the seller, however in the same zip code as mine. Doing some further searching it seems this is a common scam on ebay to get around the tracking system. 

I then contacted the seller twice with my concerns and cordially asked why they sent it to a different address with the same zip code. I have yet to recieve any response from the seller.

After talking with Ebay and sharing what USPS gave me they said to wait to open a INR case. I must wait until tomorrow to open a case. So basically is this my word against theirs now? I feel like time is against me here as I should gather as much info to defend my case that I never actually received any item. 

I am just unsure what action I should take now. I am very close to just leaving negative feedback and opening a dispute with my credit card company, but I do not want to be too hasty in doing these things. 

Any info on this matter greatly appreciated. 

Message 1 of 43
latest reply
42 REPLIES 42

With this scam, my kneejerk reaction is NOT to open an Item Not Received claim... the seller has a 'Delivered' scan.

I'd open a Return request, citing a Not as Described ('Doesn't match photos/description') reason. You may have to return something to the seller, but you'll get a refund.

Wait for advice from other posters as my 'kneejerk reactions' sometimes need to be thought over. Good luck.

Message 2 of 43
latest reply

@mtgraves7984 wrote:

I'd open a Return request, citing a Not as Described ('Doesn't match photos/description') reason. You may have to return something to the seller, but you'll get a refund.

Thanks for the info. I can request a return, but wouldn't the seller have to approve it? I have nothing to return as I never received anything in the first place. I have a depressing feeling ebay is not going to back me here even though a rep gave every assurance... 

Message 3 of 43
latest reply

I can request a return, but wouldn't the seller have to approve it?

@mmrooz18 

No. Have you read the MBG? >> eBay Money Back Guarantee policy

The seller can ask that you return for a refund, the seller can refund without a return or eBay can force a refund without return. Used correctly, the MBG is iron-clad for buyers. 

Message 4 of 43
latest reply

@mmrooz18 wrote:

@mtgraves7984 wrote:

Thanks for the info. I can request a return, but wouldn't the seller have to approve it? I have nothing to return as I never received anything in the first place. I have a depressing feeling ebay is not going to back me here even though a rep gave every assurance... 

The seller would have three days to accept the return.

If they don't, on day 4, return to the case and ask Ebay to step in.

Get a letter from USPS stating that the package was not addressed to you, but another address in your zip code.

Ship back a copy of that letter and make the seller pay for it.

Have a safe Memorial Day weekend.
Message 5 of 43
latest reply

@kensgiftshop 

Thank you for fine-tuning my kneejerk reaction. Yes, @mmrooz18... send back that letter. You'll be made whole.

Message 6 of 43
latest reply

@kensgiftshop  @mtgraves7984 

Thank for your input. I just got off the phone with another ebay rep. She assured everything is being documented and this is a common scam that they are aware of. She was against me opening a refund request as I don't have anything to send, but i trust mtgraves that I should get a refund still w/o sending anything back. Still on the fence if I should open a INR request tomorrow. The rep on the phone was adamant I open that up tomorrow, but I am concern it will automatically go in the seller's favor since its stated at "delivered."

Gonna call USPS and see if I can get a letter for proof, but they weren't all that helpful with info, just that the address don't match, kept pushing me to talk to the seller or deal it with on ebay.

Message 7 of 43
latest reply

The rep on the phone was adamant I open that up tomorrow, but I am concern it will automatically go in the seller's favor since its stated at "delivered."

@mmrooz18 

It will. But you can still open a Return request if it does. It's all good... keep us posted!

Message 8 of 43
latest reply

Would you recommend just opening a return request now or wait? Not sure what I should pick for the reason of a refund since I dont even have the item in hand. Im guessing between - wrong item sent, arrived damaged or missing parts/pieces.

Still waiting on USPS to call me back to get proof they sent it to a different address w/my same zip code. I don't know how sellers can just change an address i didnt provide without my or ebays knowledge.  

Message 9 of 43
latest reply

@mmrooz18 wrote:

Still on the fence if I should open a INR request tomorrow. The rep on the phone was adamant I open that up tomorrow, but I am concern it will automatically go in the seller's favor since its stated at "delivered." 

When you lose an item not received case because tracking shows delivered, then proceed to open a return

-- because you lost the INR, feedback is blocked or removed, so you can't warn other buyers.

But if you go directly to start a return request, even though you received nothing, with nothing to return

-- your feedback will not be removed, as long as it's within policy, including not mentioning a case.

ma647837_0-1677542994862.jpeg

It's internal eBay policy, not published, that a return is sometimes appropriate.

@mmrooz18 wrote:

Gonna call USPS and see if I can get a letter for proof, but they weren't all that helpful with info, just that the address don't match, kept pushing me to talk to the seller or deal it with on ebay. 

And the actual delivery address is not needed, as that violates privacy laws. Instead, the letter need only state that the tracking number was not for your address, signed by the official with a USPS rubber stamp.

ma647837_1-1677543534863.jpeg

Use the Missing parts or pieces reason for your return request. Then if the seller @mmrooz18 doesn't issue a refund, but a prepaid return label instead, enclose that in a box, and sent it back to get your refund.

Message 10 of 43
latest reply

All great info thank you. I'm going to wait for the seller to respond to my messages, but I doubt they will get back. Tonight if no response then Ill do the return request. I would like my negative feedback to be seen most definitely because I know authorities/fraud dept won't really care to follow up on this. I really wouldn't want this seller to continue this activity. Can I put the sellers ebay name/store here to warn other users to stay away? Thing is they have 100% positive with glowing reviews and over 50 sales. I should have vetted them better and its my fault for trusting ebays system. It just this has never happened to me in over 20 years using ebay. Anyway thanks again for all the info. 

Message 11 of 43
latest reply

@ma-647837 
Then if the seller @mmrooz18 doesn't issue a refund, but a prepaid return label instead, enclose that in a box, and sent it back to get your refund.

Just to clarify I am NOT the seller here, I am the buyer. 

Message 12 of 43
latest reply

I had such an incident. Seller wrote address on package and had terrible handwriting. Got a notification item was delivered. It was a midweek day in the afternoon. Saw the address on my notification where it was delivered. Package was delivered about 6 blocks up Nob Hill on same street from me. I got on my motorcycle and went up to that address. My package was in a pile of about 10 packages outside. I took my package and became a happy camper. We get notifications when something is "out for delivery"...and when "it is delivered".

Just got to pay attention to notifications of a package being delivered. It may not be the fault of the delivery person. It may not be the fault of the seller. Leave the feedback alone until item received or refund received. And careful of feedback you leave...everyone can read that negative feedback. It takes a little time for a seller to respond to your email...and hoping it was polite and businesslike. I am a one-kid operation selling here and can get busy...my gym routines are more important than anything else.

Message 13 of 43
latest reply

@mmrooz18

When you file your return case:

If seller does not send a return label within 3 days and the "Ask eBay To Step In" option is not available, you may have to contact eBay. A scam seller can select, "return label already sent", and you really do not have access to a return label, thus you would have to contact ebay to force the return along it's path, so to speak.

If you need help, come back here with details and dates of what has transpired. Folks here will walk you thru it.  

Under NO circumstances do you close the return before getting your refund, REGARDLESS of what the seller might tell you.

Posting ID
Message 14 of 43
latest reply

I kept an eye on shipping notifications since the day I purchased this item. Today all notifications stated the package was shipped and delivered just not to the address I provided the seller. I have messaged the seller twice today and they haven't responded.

I really want to give them the benefit of the doubt here, but it really doesn't take much to put a buyers concerns at ease. If it was as simple as an address mix up, they are backed up etc... they could have gotten back to me already. Honestly, it does not take hours to send a private message on ebay. A seller avoiding reasonable questions and concerns about an expensive item that has not shown is not going to score any positive feedback from buyers.

USPS already confirmed:

1 - its been shipped and delivered to a different address with the same zip code as mine (already a red flag)

2 - The package weight of what they sent is 2oz yet the item I bought is 5-6 pounds. 

I'll probably give them until tomorrow, but what today revealed Ill probably open a refund case much sooner than later. 

Message 15 of 43
latest reply