cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Seller's excuse for Zero Feedback

Well, I think I've received a bizarre first answer to a  message I left for a seller with zero sales and zero feedback. I'm not a newbie on Ebay and have been buying since 2001 , 100% Positive feedback (218). I don't buy a lot, only what I want or need at the time.

Message I sent; Normally I don't buy from sellers who have a low or no feedback, but I'm tempted due to the price

Seller; I totally understand the concern. The reason I don’t have any feed back yet is because I haven’t made the required number of sales yet

Message 1 of 21
latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

Re: Seller's excuse for Zero Feedback

Not every buyer leaves FB since it's voluntary so there is a logical reason why a seller has no FB.

Usually, they are a new seller.  You can see when any individual seller enrolled with eBay.

Perhaps the seller misunderstood your question if you asked why they have no FB.

Also, all buyers will have 100% positive FB.  They cannot be given anything else.  

Message 2 of 21
latest reply

@kcdogg wrote:

Well, I think I've received a bizarre first answer to a  message I left for a seller with zero sales and zero feedback. I'm not a newbie on Ebay and have been buying since 2001 , 100% Positive feedback (218). I don't buy a lot, only what I want or need at the time.

Message I sent; Normally I don't buy from sellers who have a low or no feedback, but I'm tempted due to the price

Seller; I totally understand the concern. The reason I don’t have any feed back yet is because I haven’t made the required number of sales yet

The required number of sales to have feedback is ZERO. Seller can make PURCHASES and receive feedback as a buyer. Boom, they can have feedback. It will be "buyer feedback" but it will show as a non-zero feedback score. Most members won't notice the difference.

To have specifically seller feedback, the MINIMUM REQUIRED # of sales to have feedback is ONE (OR MORE). Can't receive any feedback as a seller if you haven't sold anything. Need more than one sale (potentially) since not every buyer leaves feedback.

Message 3 of 21
latest reply

@kcdogg,

"I totally understand the concern. The reason I don’t have any feed back yet is because I haven’t made the required number of sales yet".

The seller's reply could mean they are confusing not having a Yellow star received after 10 transactions with feedback. They may have  just recently opened an account for selling only, but they have another they have used for buying only.  Checking their feedback profile would not help if they have sold some items but haven't received any feedback.  It will tell you when the seller registered.

You can do an Advanced search and the page that opens click on the "By Seller" button, you will be taken you down to

mudshark61369_1-1695118207806.png

You check the Only show items from: and add the seller's username (w/out their (0) score in the box.  Then scroll back up the page and check the sold items box > then Search.  If the seller has sold anything recently It will appear on the results page.

If the seller is completely new listing an item as Buy It Now, w/ a low price and is registered outside the U.S.,  I would not buy from them for 2 reasons; 

1)  There have been a lot of new sellers from outside the U.S. who use the fake tracking number scam on items they list with a lower than trending price.  They ship something w/ tracking that will get a Delivered scan, but not arrive at your home.

2) Even if they are legit, they probably do not know about the 21 day hold ebay places on all new sellers first few payments, and how to deal with it to get the funds released sooner.  They do not ship because the payment status is shown as Pending on their account, and they either do not reply to messages or make up a bunch of excuses.

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 4 of 21
latest reply

I think you are hung up on feedback enough to message someone about it

the seller can tell you are hung up on feedback by the answer which is a smart aleck way of saying they have 0 feedback

@kcdogg 

Germantown proud Germantown strong
up the whiskey hickon
moving right along
Message 5 of 21
latest reply

@kcdogg 

< a seller with zero sales and zero feedback [replied] ... I haven’t made the required number of sales yet >     

Logical.  The required number of sales that would qualify a member to receive "feedback as a seller" is one.  You already said that he had zero.  He could certainly have feedback as a buyer, but I think the context is about selling.   

Messaging "Normally I don't buy from sellers who have a low or no feedback, but I'm tempted due to the price"  was not necessary and, really, kind of weird.  Why would you do that?  Looking for assurance from the seller?  If the seller were not legitimate, do you think he would admit it?  Of course not, anybody who would steal would have no qualms about lying as well.  

Message 6 of 21
latest reply

@gosimus wrote:

@kcdogg 

< a seller with zero sales and zero feedback [replied] ... I haven’t made the required number of sales yet >     

Logical.  The required number of sales that would qualify a member to receive "feedback as a seller" is one.  You already said that he had zero.  He could certainly have feedback as a buyer, but I think the context is about selling.   

Messaging "Normally I don't buy from sellers who have a low or no feedback, but I'm tempted due to the price"  was not necessary and, really, kind of weird.  Why would you do that?  Looking for assurance from the seller?  If the seller were not legitimate, do you think he would admit it?  Of course not, anybody who would steal would have no qualms about lying as well.  

You know, that is EXACTLY like when buyers message me and say "is it authentic" or "is it real" or "do you guarantee it".

I mean, I understand there are times when listings say "I can't guarantee" or "we don't know for sure", or "we believe"... heck, I've wrriten those listings.

Ive had some recently ask me some odd questions like "do you GUARANTEE _____" ... I responded "yes" and buyer never purchased. My response seriously wanted to be "If I was being honest, the answer is yes. If I was lying, the answer is yes" ....

So much of guarantees and such people put out there are hot air. EBay's MBG supercedes it and really what is guaranteed and how? I don't get into that. I have a reputation. That should speak for itself, it sure speaks louder than anything I say about myself. 

999 out of 1000 buyers do just fine buying from me. The 1 out of 1000 that need to hear some "reassuring" hot air, I could do without.

Message 7 of 21
latest reply

You can also do a search of what the seller has sold in the past 90 days by using the Advance search, right after the search box when you open the eBay page. 

Because feedback is not required, the seller/buyer could have a number of sales/buys that no feedback was left by either party. 

Message 8 of 21
latest reply

@kcdogg wrote:

Personally, I think your question is more bizarre than the seller's reply. You're a long-time ebay buyer presumably well aware of your MBG and buyer protection so why would you care if the seller is a newbie without feedback yet? 

And because it's likely that the seller is a newbie, it's also understandable that they don't understand how ebay works and that there's no requirement to have a number of sales to show a feedback score. (How many experienced sellers post here who don't understand that FVFs include sales tax and shipping?)

If you like the item and the price, buy it and if it's as described, you can happily be the first buyer to give feedback! 

albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 9 of 21
latest reply

Hi @kcdogg 

-I checked my records, when I created my account on eBay back in 2007 I started with (0) Feedback ... 

-Here is a link to the eBay MBG ... if you don't think you are protected then don't purchase from that new Seller: eBay Money Back Guarantee policy

Regards,
Mr. Lincoln - Community Mentor
Message 10 of 21
latest reply

The only other thing I haven't seen mentioned yet in this thread is the DSR star system which requires 10 rated sales in the previous 12 months before that portion of a seller's feedback becomes visible.

But if his total feedback is zero, then his answer is also true.  He doesn't have enough sales to have feedback yet.

Message 11 of 21
latest reply

..........post 4             

Message 12 of 21
latest reply

Thanks I missed it/just skimmed mudsharks reply.  I should have known he's pretty on the ball and thorough in his replies. 👍

Message 13 of 21
latest reply

If the purchase was only a few dollars...not a big thing...but if its a few hundred dollars that's a big thing.

We all started selling with feedback at 0...but I started doing it selling items for a few dollars to get feedback and not just selling one item but many items.

There is this so called "money back guarantee" that everyone mentions.

What if seller sends an empty box?

What if seller...new seller...won't send item because seller hasn't gotten the money from eBay yet? New sellers have to wait 30+ for funds from a buyer.

There are a lot of "ifs" out there and frankly I don't feel like doing the "footwork" these days to get my money back guarantee back. 

A buyer has to wait until expected day of delivery. So a buyer's money will be returned to buyer eventually.

Just my own opinion...my own alone...if it was a purchase under $5. I would buy it from someone with 0 feedback...but if purchase was for more than $25. I would look for another seller...just my own opinion.

Message 14 of 21
latest reply

@buyselljack2016 wrote:

..........post 4             

I've read Mud's post three times now and found absolutely nothing that mentions DSRs. All it mentions are the feedback stars everyone receives depending on their number of feedbacks received.

Message 15 of 21
latest reply