cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Seller required to honor a promotional offer in item description?

I purchased an item that had a buy one get one free offer attached to the item description.  I went ahead and ordered 2 items expecting the second one to be refunded (I have both items in hand currently). However the seller is saying they made a mistake and are refusing to honor the buy one get one terms laid out in the auction (attached photo was taken from item descrption).  They are offering a very small partial refund or are willing to accept a return.

I have contacted ebay customer support as I couldn't figure out a way to open a dispute that the seller wasn't honoring the terms of the auction.  It appears that ebay opened a return for me, which was not the issue at hand, and said to wait 3 business days (after which I am unclear what happens, the lady on the phone was not super helpful).  Isn't this just going to consume my opportunity to make a return?

Basically, my question is:  Is this seller required to honor this buy one get one agreement?  Can ebay force them to honor this or will they just tell me to return it?  I always thought the terms in an auction were a legally binding agreement...It would be good to figure this out before the return window closes.

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

ebay cannot force a buyer to pay, nor can ebay force a seller to ship. The best that is going to happen is a full refund.

If CSR opened a Returns Request for you, the seller needs to supply a prepaid return shipping label.  If no response in 3 days, click the link to Ask ebay to step in.  But since the seller did state she would accept a return, I don't understand why she wouldn't provide the label.  Once tracking shows DELIVERED back to the seller, the seller has 2 days to refund you.

disneyshopper
Volunteer Community Member

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

@dubious.dan,

Since the offer was to buy one get one free, and you ordered 2 you should have received 4 packs of 10 for the price of 2.  The dispute you should have filed was Not As Described if you only received 2 packs.  Then ebay would have forced the seller to refund for the second purchase.

In the future when a seller offers buy one get one free, you only need to buy the one, not two and expect a refund. Since ebay opened a return request, call customer service back, explain you should have received 4 packs, as part of the BOGO offer, but received 2, and want a refund for the 2nd purchase.

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 3 of 6
latest reply

@mudshark61369 wrote:

@dubious.dan,

Since the offer was to buy one get one free, and you ordered 2 you should have received 4 packs of 10 for the price of 2.  The dispute you should have filed was Not As Described if you only received 2 packs.  Then ebay would have forced the seller to refund for the second purchase.

In the future when a seller offers buy one get one free, you only need to buy the one, not two and expect a refund. Since ebay opened a return request, call customer service back, explain you should have received 4 packs, as part of the BOGO offer, but received 2, and want a refund for the 2nd purchase.

There is no reason to call eBay to get a refund for the 2nd purchase if they’ve already opened a return request for him. Nothing can be changed. They filed a return request for him which IS the correct case to have opened. 

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**
Message 4 of 6
latest reply

No eBay cannot force the seller to honor the promotion. Either the seller doesn’t have the listing set up correctly or it’s an eBay glitch with promotions. Normally on a buy 1 get 1 promotion, you would add 2 to your cart and the discounted would be taken off during checkout. I am inclined to believe that there is yet another issue involving eBay stores because I tested this with a seller I’ve bought from before who does the buy 1 get 1 promo and the amount of the 2nd item is not being removed during checkout. eBay cannot force the seller to send you the additional quantity or give a partial refund. If the seller responds by accepting the return then that’s all eBay can force—a return for a full refund. 

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**
Message 5 of 6
latest reply

@dubious.dan wrote:

Basically, my question is:  Is this seller required to honor this buy one get one agreement? 

I always thought the terms in an auction were a legally binding agreement...

It appears that ebay does not require a seller to honor a promotion that the seller offers within their listing.

Example: Buy any 4 items and receive one free. 

You buy 5 items and go to checkout, but are asked to pay full price on all five, nothing free here !

You contact seller & request a revised invoice . You receive a reply that the listing was drafted by a new employee, the offering of a free item was in error.

You request the seller to either cancel the purchase, or to honor the promotion.

You receive a  reply, seller agrees to honor the promotion.

Despite sending several polite requests over an extended period of time, seller does absolutely nothing.

You now receive 5 unpaid item strikes, you contact ebay support,

messages are reviewed and strikes are then removed.

You allow more than two months to go by, & check this seller's listings which still continue to offer the same promotion which your seller did not honor.

A less than happy buying experience.

Message 6 of 6
latest reply