cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Seller listing states " I reserve the rights to cancel any bids or Winners"

Would you bid or buy, or just move on to another seller ?

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

A seller including that language in a listing is obviously not familiar with the eBay User Agreement or the laws governing the conducting of auctions in many states.

While the seller does have the right to cancel any and all bids up until the auction ends and the winning bid is announced in the customary manner, once the winner is declared, they could be in breach of contract if they fail to complete the transaction.

Yes, I would probably move on rather than deal with someone that doesn't know what they're doing.  My opinion.

"It is an intelligent man that is aware of his own ignorance."

View Best Answer in original post

Message 2 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

A seller including that language in a listing is obviously not familiar with the eBay User Agreement or the laws governing the conducting of auctions in many states.

While the seller does have the right to cancel any and all bids up until the auction ends and the winning bid is announced in the customary manner, once the winner is declared, they could be in breach of contract if they fail to complete the transaction.

Yes, I would probably move on rather than deal with someone that doesn't know what they're doing.  My opinion.

"It is an intelligent man that is aware of his own ignorance."
Message 2 of 5
latest reply

@ed8108,

I pretty much agree with dennis' statement that the seller isn't familiar with the user agreement.  If I saw terms like that in an auction I'd check the seller's profile right away, if they were new or very inexperienced, I might still bid if the item was something I really wanted. If they had enough experience to know better, I'd have to desparately want the item otherwise would move on.  In either case, I might message the seller telling them their policies besides possibly violating ebay rules, were probably driving people away from their auctions.

Depending on all of the seller's terms, the auction could be one of the scams, in which case I'd report the listing as well

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 3 of 5
latest reply

Not worrying about breach of contract, user agreement, blah blah, blah.... I would pay more attention to the seller's feedback and see what past buyers have said. It would also, like any other seller, depend on the pictures and description of the item. That is assuming there is no other rude statements in their TOS.

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

I would move on.  Too often, I find that ebay suggests very cheap opening bids, and newbie sellers then cancel my bids or refund me without notice.  Or in one memorably humorous case, message me to inform me that this was actually a charity listing on thier part and they forbid me from sell the item when I am done with it, since they did me the favor of selling it so cheaply. Aint nobdoy got time for that.  Moving on to someone who just wants my money.

Message 5 of 5
latest reply