cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Seller discover-books seems to have gone out of business ~ Mar 20. NOT still taking orders?

Just a heads-up, it appears that Discover-Books has been selling books for weeks now that will never be delivered.  Looks like they went out of business ~ March 20th.  Verified by employees via Reddit threads and by their shipper for my item bought March 11th: “We have erroneously received a file for your package with tracking number XXXXX  from the company you ordered from. The tracking number shared with us belongs to a fulfillment company, Discover Books that is no longer a shipping customer of OSM. “. It will never be delivered.

i informed eBay through a couple different means, the latest via Report Item.   Seller still has over 100 items listed* <<<< But not purchasable? Also listing seller feedback by “relevance “ vs newest is total crap.  Seller looks golden unless you sort by most recent.

Ugh.

IMG_5335.jpeg

Message 1 of 14
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: Seller discover-books seems to have gone out of business ~ Mar 20. NOT still taking orders?

A day after the estimated delivery date Ebay gave you, open an Item Not Received case.
Go to your purchase history and click I didn't get it in the menu next to the item.
The seller will have 3 days to provide a tracking number showing it was delivered or refund.
If they don't, return to the case on day 4 and ask Ebay to step in.

Have a great day

View Best Answer in original post

Message 4 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

Re: Seller discover-books seems to have gone out of business ~ Mar 20. NOT still taking orders?

I appreciate the heads up as a book buyer 🙂

Are they a Thrift Books location or a bookjacker? I ask because I know over the years, when I've ordered from Discover, the packaging was Thrift Books. That would be shocking if Thrift Books is going out of business ~ thought they did extremely well!

Message 2 of 14
latest reply

No idea of other associations but would assume it’s just that seller entity.

Message 3 of 14
latest reply

A day after the estimated delivery date Ebay gave you, open an Item Not Received case.
Go to your purchase history and click I didn't get it in the menu next to the item.
The seller will have 3 days to provide a tracking number showing it was delivered or refund.
If they don't, return to the case on day 4 and ask Ebay to step in.

Have a great day
Message 4 of 14
latest reply

Almost 5000 negative feedbacks in year....why would people keep buying from them...why....

Message 5 of 14
latest reply

I gave seller & shipper benefit of the doubt.  Seller has almost 2.5M reviews.

But did request eBay resolution and got refund immediately on that 4th day. 

I was fooled by:

-  the seller's "away until Apr 20th" they set when they went out of business ~ Mar 20th (FRAUD ?) 

-  infamous OMS WORLDWIDE tracking # status reading "Picked Up By Shipping Partner, USPS Awaiting Item"

Message 6 of 14
latest reply

Apparently Discover Books closed as of 22 March of this year, if this Reddit thread is correct:

https://www.reddit.com/r/MangaCollectors/comments/1bpe0c0/does_anybody_happen_to_know_discover_books...

Their Facebook page is gone:  https://www.facebook.com/letthestoriesliveon

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 7 of 14
latest reply

Haven't purchased from them for a while, but speaking for myself :), when I was looking for a specific book to finish a series I was collecting, hard-to-find/not available elsewhere....that type of thing. Half the time, a buyer could luck out; half the time, book condition was abysmal!

Message 8 of 14
latest reply

@12345jamesstamps wrote:

Almost 5000 negative feedbacks in year....why would people keep buying from them...why....

Cheap books with free shipping. ThriftBooks and other mega-booklisters also rack up a huge number of negs and neutrals.

It does not deter buyers who are shopping by lowest price. The trade off is a high error rate and flimsy packaging. As often as not, you're likely to get the wrong book, a book not as described, or a book damaged in transit. Hence the thousands of negs -- and that doesn't count the ones that eBay removes.

Message 9 of 14
latest reply

I had two book orders with Discover Books. One order was via eBay, and the other one was directly from the Discover Books website.  The first order was refunded to me by eBay, since Discover Books never provided tracking information. While with the second order, since I used Paypal to make that purchase, I was able to get Paypal to reimburse me for the full cost of that order.

Message 10 of 14
latest reply

As I understand it, Discover Books specialized in obtaining books from salvage. That is why they were often able to sell books at lower prices than most other used booksellers.

Message 11 of 14
latest reply

It is called scale. They sold millions of books.

Message 12 of 14
latest reply

Absolutely have been 4ucked by this company twice in the past couple months. They did the same thing back in april, went on a month-long Hiatus till April 20th and then 2 Days Later went on another Hiatus until the 22nd of May it says now. They're scumbags that know exactly what they're doing. They're trying to see how many people they can get that forget about their order and they get that money. I've reported them to eBay and they're supposedly investigating the store which I highly doubt they're not in League with this kind of activity to be honest in the world we live in. So yeah now I got to wait another 4 days to be able to report my latest item that I ordered in their 2-day return before they went on another month-long hiatus. Thank God the book is only $5. I hate scumbags like this

Message 13 of 14
latest reply

I placed an order with them early March and the pattern is the same: deceptive use of tracking numbers, no shipment, no replies, and most shocking of all, constant stalling (out of the office till such and such). 

Why Ebay? I'm having trouble getting any kind of reponse from Ebay too. Basically they're saying I'm screwed because it's past the widow for refunds. Uhhh after you let this apparently closed company maintain a storefront while conducting fraudlent sales and make notifications like "order delayed be back in the office on March 20; no make that April 20; wait May 20."

I'm really losing any sense of confidence and security with Ebay. There was that stalking scandal, now we have zero response for legitimate issues. 

And why does Discover Books continue to have a storefront on Ebay?

DOES NOT LOOK GOOD

Message 14 of 14
latest reply