cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Seller 'cannot pay' return shipping

I ordered a specific size of bicycle tube.  What the seller sent was the wrong size and I requested a refund with paid return shipping but he said that 'ebay does not give him the option of refunding the return shipping charges.' which is **bleep**.  How to proceed?

Message 1 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

Re: Seller 'cannot pay' return shipping

@bongomooch   At the bottom of this page is a link to the Resolution center, click that.  You process an Item  not as described claim and the Seller will have to issue you a pre-paid label for the return shipping.  Once the item has been returned the Seller will have to issue you a full refund, if they don't you go back to the claim and ask eBay to step in ...

Regards,
Mr. Lincoln - Community Mentor
Message 2 of 15
latest reply

When I click on the item it says a return has already been started (which I did this morning), no other options for not as described?  I guess it's treating it like a "Buyer accepts returns"  What now?

Message 3 of 15
latest reply

I also noted that the current refund amount does not include what I paid for shipping.  So I'm getting dinged for double shipping charges on an item that was not as described.

Message 4 of 15
latest reply

@bongomooch wrote:

When I click on the item it says a return has already been started (which I did this morning), no other options for not as described?  I guess it's treating it like a "Buyer accepts returns"  What now?

You already started a return? You already started the return process through either the item listing on your Purchase History page or through eBay's Resolution Center?

What reason did you give for the return?

If you've already opened one return request, you can't open a second one. And it doesn't matter what the seller "says." If you opened a return request and used a reason that was similar to "not as described," the seller will pay return shipping.

If, however, you used "doesn't fit," eBay considers that a "remorse return," and, depending on the seller's return policy, you may be required to pay return shipping.

Message 5 of 15
latest reply

I did say 'not as described.'  But I'm still be instructed to pay for the return shipping.

Message 6 of 15
latest reply

@bongomooch wrote:

I did say 'not as described.'  But I'm still be instructed to pay for the return shipping.

Instructed by whom?  The seller? Forget it.

In a not as described case, the SELLER pays the return shipping. If they cannot send a label, you will need to get the postage costs for TRACKED shipping back to them. Let them know that cost, and they will have to send you the money via Paypal. If they do NOT, you can ask Ebay to step in when the link becomes available, and Ebay will force the refund.

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 7 of 15
latest reply

Being asked by Ebay.

Message 8 of 15
latest reply

@bongomooch wrote:

Depending on where you filed for the return (Resolution Center or item listing on Purchase History page), after "not as described," there's a dropdown of eleven more specific reasons. Which did you choose?

1. Doesn't fit
  2. Changed my mind
  3. Found a better price
  4. Changed my mind
  5. Just didn't like it
  6. Doesn't work or defective
  7. Doesn't match description or photos
  8. Wrong item sent
  9. Missing parts or pieces
  10. Arrived damaged
  11. Doesn't seem authentic
Message 9 of 15
latest reply

Here's what it says on my Details of Return:

Details
bongomooch_0-1600116771476.jpeg

New Pair (2) BONTRAGER Tubes 26 x 1.25-1.75 36mm Presta
$28.00

Buyer
bongomooch
Order number
Reason
Doesn't fit
Details
Item not as described.
Return Quantity
2/2

Sep 14
Return started

SO WHY DO I HAVE TO PAY THE SHIPPING CHARGES?  When I go to print the return label this is what I get:

Review payment details

This cost is an estimate. You'll be billed for the actual cost of your label after the item ships.  

Estimated cost$3.40
CarrierUSPS
Payment method

IT WILL BE MORE THAN $3.40
Message 10 of 15
latest reply

I think the seller is screwing you over.

The standard return workflow:

- You open return case with "Item not as described" reason.

- Seller can communicate to ask about the problem
      + If you're correct, they have to accept return.

- Seller has an option to provide the pre-paid return shipping label in eBay return detail.

- You use that the return shipping label to ship it back.

- Seller receives your return parcel, checks it and has to do full refund (You will not be charged anything).

So, I wondered why that seller didn't provide you a pre-paid shipping label.
The label price which is provided by eBay option will be cheaper than you buy it by yourself.
(eBay shipping has a discount rate).

Message 11 of 15
latest reply

return.JPG

And there we have it. "Doesn't fit" is considered a "remorse return" by eBay. Buyers are responsible for return shipping on items returned for any of the following reasons:

1. Doesn't fit
  2. Changed my mind
  3. Found a better price
  4. Changed my mind
  5. Just didn't like it

Sellers are responsible for return shipping on items returned for any of the following reasons:

1. Doesn't work or defective
  2. Doesn't match description or photos
  3. Wrong item sent
  4. Missing parts or pieces
  5. Arrived damaged
  6. Doesn't seem authentic

So, you choose the wrong reason for your return. You should have chosen "Wrong item sent." You said yourself in the opening post, "What the seller sent was the wrong size . . . "

Sorry, return shipping is going to be on you, unless you can possibly get hold of a customer service rep who'll change it for you, maybe explaining to them that you didn't understand the choices. I have no idea how successful that would be.

Message 12 of 15
latest reply

Thank you, pburn.  How in the world do you get ahold of a live human being?

Message 13 of 15
latest reply

I'm not sure whether you'll be able to.

The "Help & Contact" link may offer a "have us call you" option. If there is, a live person would call you back. Otherwise, there should be an email option, or you can contact customer service via private message on Facebook or direct message on Twitter:

www.facebook.com/ebay

www.twitter.com/askebay

Message 14 of 15
latest reply

"So, you choose the wrong reason for your return."

Sentence should, of course, read:

"So, you choose chose the wrong reason for your return."

Message 15 of 15
latest reply