cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Seller Played Dirty Pool....Posted Free Shipping & Then Sent Item With Postage Due!

I've been on Ebay since 1998, but I have never had this happen before. I paid for an auction for a tiny item. It was for a Hot Wheels Race Track Connector (Think of just one,  3" Plastic Tongue Depressor). This cost $5.00 + .39 cents tax & free shipping. It was expensive for what it was......yet these are a bit hard to come by in the color white.  So, I was happy with the free shipping & I figured that I had paid in full, when I paid using Paypal. 

Also, I had purchased several items, so I was expecting about 4 different auctions to be delivered yesterday.  So,  I get a knock on my door from the mailman who is in a hurry .......& telling me he has my auction items......+ an envelope, with what came with postage due of $4.00 extra.  So the seller of the Hot Wheels Connector,  had slapped a tiny stamp on a plastic envelope......yet he left the postage to be paid by me.....with no notice or warning. 

Now, I  had no idea what this was, or even which auction it was....since I was expecting 4 deliveries that day + one from Etsy. I was royally p.o'd to find that this tiny 1/2 ounce tongue depressor / hot wheel connector had cost me....not $5.39, but now $9.39.  Nothing was stated in the auction about any extra charges.  Yes....I did pay the postage due/ extra money...... because I had no idea what I was paying for & I wanted to find out & get the mailman on his way. The envelope also was blank (no return address or info....no tracking since it was sent first class........the only thing on the envelope was my address. I knew nothing about this, till I paid for it & opened it up. 

Also, had I known who it was from & what it was.....I would've refused it.....but again, they left the envelope blank with a silly stamp on it.....leaving me guessing what it was.... who it was from ....& what the heck just happened. 

So my question is, "Do I have any recourse to recoup my losses?"  I know that it's only $4.00.....but the seller did me wrong & I am really steamed about the under handedness of it all. Basically the principal of it is just wrong & the seller should pay  up for their lies & **bleep** of it all. Can I do something about this?  Can I get my money back for the shipping? Any help would be very appreciative. I thank you for your time.

*** On a different note, I am getting steamed with some sellers pulling some underhanded junk. Most of my sellers, like 95% of them are just GRAND!!!  Yet, as of late (the last month) I have had 5 sellers/ auctions where the sellers have advised me that they don't have my auction items.....thanks for the quick payment, but they can't locate my items....... & then I get an instant refund. That in itself is disappointing, but I was just fine with a quick refund......... That was until I found out that these 5 sellers reported to EBay that my auctions had been cancelled at "My" request.....the request of the buyer. This is a bold face lie! I wondered if this counted against me, with EBay.....since it looks like I bid, paid & then asked to cancel & asked for a refund.

I have all the messages & correspondences on EBay's message system saved, that show that these sellers reneged on my auctions.  One particular seller  even sent me an offer for a ring, at a $20.00  lower price......& I accepted & paid immediately. The seller then refunded my money within 3 hours, stating that even though they offered the ring at a lower price....they realized that that particular ring hasn't been seen for months, so it was likely sold somewhere else? Hmmmmm. 

Again, I would've been fine with the refund, till I found the auction back out was blamed on myself....by all  5 sellers. I just don't want this counted against me.  Does anyone have any idea if I need to worry about this? Is there a reason why the sellers would blame the buyer? Again, I have the proof on my side, with all the correspondence through EBay, proving that they initiated the cancellation of these 5 auctions. Just needed some input, If anyone has their 2 cents to add about this, I would be very appreciative. Thanks again for any assistance you can provide me!

Message 1 of 23
latest reply
22 REPLIES 22

Re: Seller Played Dirty Pool....Posted Free Shipping & Then Sent Item With Postage Due!

@varebelrose wrote:

"If he fails to issue you a partial refund to cover the Postage Due amount, you can file a claim for "Item not received." "

?? The buyer DID recieve it. And I am sure by this point the seller has documented messages from the OP stating that. Filing an INR would be lying. As wonky as CS is, theres a very good chance they would deny this claim.

The MBG clearly states that if a package is refused because postage is due, INR is the case to file. 

Message 16 of 23
latest reply

Re: Seller Played Dirty Pool....Posted Free Shipping & Then Sent Item With Postage Due!

@fab_finds4u wrote:

He wouldn't  have been out any money if he refused delivery.....

He would have been out the $5.39 that he paid for the item.

Message 17 of 23
latest reply

"The MBG clearly states that if a package is refused because postage is due, INR is the case to file. "

And in this case, the package was NOT refused, it was delivered. The OP chose to pay the postage due.

Message 18 of 23
latest reply

@justafemster wrote: ...  refusing a package also means the MBG is void.  So there's that. 

Postage Due is an exception to that policy, IF the buyer can document it.  In this case they probably can't, based on their comments about their carrier being in a hurry.

Screen Shot 2022-03-17 at 1.43.33 PM.png

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/ebay-money-back-guarantee-policy/ebay-money-back-guarantee-policy...

Message 19 of 23
latest reply

@justafemster wrote:

Somebody stuck a stamp on it, without a return address so the buyer would get stuck paying the postage. 

@kathiec wrote:

Before opening the case, the buyer needs to make sure the tracking indicates there was postage due.

1. As there is no tracking for "stuck a stamp on it" and

2. because there is no such thing as a button on USPS scanners for "Postage due" 

not sure how to "make sure the tracking indicates there was postage due" before opening the case?

Message 20 of 23
latest reply

We're getting off-track, and I've contributed to that. My response was to a poster who indicated that, hypothetically, the OP could have refused the package and opened a "not as described" case. My aim was to point out that's incorrect, the proper case to file in that instance, per the MBG, is "not received". From there it's taken on a life of its own. I apologize not for the correction but for creating the confusion.

Message 21 of 23
latest reply

The outcome:

Very Positive!!!  So, I decided to take a chance & sent a message to the seller, nicely explaining what transpired & then I left the ball in their court...... asking them how they would like to handle the charge? They didn't respond.....or communicate back anything.....yet,  I did receive an automated response from EBay this morning, telling me that I will be receiving a partial refund. The refund is for the excess shipping + a bit more @ $4.23.....not sure how they arrived at that amount, but  hey...I'm happy!  The excess shipping was covered, so who am I to complain? 

Just an FYI:  Those who told me that I should've refused the package.....I'd initially mentioned in my 1st post that I would've.....had I known what it was.....or who it was from...... & what the excess postage was for.  I didn't know, I didn't know & I didn't know.  Its a bit hard when there is just a blank white plastic envelope with only my name & address on it.....+ a mailman who is in a very big rush. So much so..... that Mr. Mailman didn't even have the time to give me my change.....but would leave it in an envelope &  drop it in my mailbox the following day. Just saying......

I thank you all for your input & help! Again, this was a new one on me in all the time that I've been on EBay, so I was at a loss for what to do. I am so glad you are here for all your help!!! 😀

Thanks much!

GrannyG

Message 22 of 23
latest reply

@grannygrozas wrote:

I will be receiving a partial refund. The refund is for the [postage due] + a bit more @ $4.23

I was at a loss for what to do. I am so glad you are here for all your help!!! 😀 

Very happy to hear it! If the item eventually turns out defective or not as described and you need to return it for a full refund, please come back for more discussion?

Message 23 of 23
latest reply