cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Seller Discrimination

I asked a question to a seller about an item,I have never bought from this seller before.And the question was about if there was any markings on the packaging of what country of origin they were from and the seller never responded and blocked me from buying the item.Is this discrimination?I tried to call Ebay customer service and the automated system would not connect me to anyone.I am real upset over this.

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Seller Discrimination

A seller can block a buyer for any/no reason.

Some sellers don't like buyers asking questions, so they just block them.

Private feedback also scares some sellers.

It's nothing to contact CS about, just find another seller.

Have a great day
Message 2 of 11
latest reply

Seller Discrimination

@psiresearch1 

Sellers are allowed to block anyone for any reason, or for no reason at all. Some sellers get nervous when people ask questions, thinking it might be a sign of a problem buyer. While you and I might think that's unnecessarily paranoid, they have the absolute right to conduct their business as they see fit. All you can do is find a seller who wants your business.

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

Seller Discrimination

Count your blessings and move on to smarter sellers..

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

Seller Discrimination

@psiresearch1,

If a seller lists an item, and has not added Country of Manufacture to the item specifics, I would not buy from them or even bother to ask a question about that. I would also look to see if the Brand matches the one posted in the Title if one is given.  In most cases you can do an online search for the Brand's or Manufacturer's items to find out where they are made.

Your question itself may not be why you were blocked if you have your feedback profile set to (Private) all of the time.  Seller's will often check the feedback profile of buyers who send offers or ask questions, and Private feedback is a red flag to them. It is not discrimination in the broader sense of the term, but a survival reflex. If you have ever sold on ebay you would understand that.

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 5 of 11
latest reply

Seller Discrimination

This is not discrimination.   

“Birth certificates show that you were born. Death certificates show that you died. Photographs show that you have lived.” -Unknown
Message 6 of 11
latest reply

Seller Discrimination

It isn't seller discrimination because you are a buyer. It's not discrimination at all. Sellers can block for whatever reason or no reason at all. 
Find another seller willing to do business with you.

eBay customer service doesn't get involved with seller blocks. 

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

Seller Discrimination

Hi @psiresearch1 

I suppose it could be called a form of discrimination.  So is wanting to know the country of origin of a product (if the reason is to exclude certain countries).  Not all ‘discrimination’ is morally wrong or illegal, however.

Sometimes it’s the perceived tone of a question that is concerning to sellers … AND any question is likely to have a buyer’s feedback examined.  Private feedback is an immediate concern to most sellers.

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

Seller Discrimination

@mudshark61369 wrote:

@psiresearch1,

If a seller lists an item, and has not added Country of Manufacture to the item specifics, I would not buy from them or even bother to ask a question about that. I would also look to see if the Brand matches the one posted in the Title if one is given.  In most cases you can do an online search for the Brand's or Manufacturer's items to find out where they are made.

FWIW, I've listed items for which there are absolutely no country of origin markings. (For those that have it, I do add that info.) I'd hate to think someone wouldn't buy from me solely for that reason!

albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

Seller Discrimination

It's because your feedback is set to private and all your reviews of products are 1-star.  I'm sure they were afraid of what you would be like to deal with. 

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

Seller Discrimination

It is discrimination based on conduct, which is very much allowed.  Just like you can (and should) be discriminating in which seller you buy from, sellers have limited tools to discriminate against buyers whose conduct indicates they might be a problem.

It is not the same as the discrimination on the basis of race, religion, sex and the like which is regulated by various laws.

Message 11 of 11
latest reply