cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Seeking Buying Advice - Gold

Not sure why, but I'm considering a small gold chain, around 10 inches or so.  Just one of those things I guess, but not something I've done before.  Purity is not a major consideration as long as it's durable, doesn't discolor or react with skin, water, etc.  10K would probably be fine, unless there is a reason to go higher.

But I'm seeing prices all over every where, literally from about $30 to over $1,000 and I don't understand the differences.  The low end seems to be second hand items froms estates and whatever.  That would be fine for me, but how can I be assured of the content based on the listing alone?

I also see a number of 'new' items (not from there) in the $50 range.  Width and cut/style seem to be the issue there.  Rope style is probably more like what I want since they seem stronger somehow, less likely to break with normal wear.  I want bright, but not necessarily high shine or sparkle and no sharp egdes.

Forget keeping up with the Joneses. Be the Finklegrubers!
OK kids, time to get the Dodge loaded up again. I hear 'Poppy's By the Tree' calling. This trip might be a long one too.
Message 1 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

You should probably take a look at these in person first so that you have a really good feel for what you're wanting
Message 2 of 15
latest reply

@chrysylys,

As far as style of the chain, it's best to check them out in person to see which you think will work better for you, ringlink, rope etc. I think rope is stronger than most link styles.

Prices are determined on the weight of the item and karat count. A thicker link or rope is going to be more expensive, because of weight, and the higher the Kt, the more it will cost.

10kt chain will be less expensive but more durable since it has more copper and/or silver in it. The higher the karat count the softer the metal. 

Trying to guess if the purity advertised is hard if the seller does not have a clear photo of the stamp or tag showing the "K or Kt count".  All you can do is upon receiving it take it to a jewelers and have them test it. Do not tell them you bought it online, just tell them it was aunt Sally's. 

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 3 of 15
latest reply

I know the general style and size/width since I have a few in other materials (plated, gold flashed/washed, etc.), but I just don't understand the wide price ranges, even for 10K.  And even if the seller shows a stamp/tag, how do you know they can be trusted?  I don't want to wait and see if it turns skin green.

OK kids, time to get the Dodge loaded up again. I hear 'Poppy's By the Tree' calling. This trip might be a long one too.
Message 4 of 15
latest reply

@chrysylyswrote:

I know the general style and size/width since I have a few in other materials (plated, gold flashed/washed, etc.), but I just don't understand the wide price ranges, even for 10K.  And even if the seller shows a stamp/tag, how do you know they can be trusted?  I don't want to wait and see if it turns skin green.

@chrysylys,

The only way to be sure of gold content is to get a piece tested. If it isn't as advertised use the MBG.

Prices for almost anything can be all over the place on this site. Some sellers list things at high prices just hoping someone will buy at the price. Some have no clue of pricing.  Sometimes the cost of jewelry is based on a designer, style, and other criteria.   If I were to shop for jewelry online, which I do not do.  I would check the seller's profile to see if they are experienced, and for nonpositives.  That is all any of us can do when buying in that category, except for avoiding Asian jewelry sellers.

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 5 of 15
latest reply

I've been buying and selling estate jewelry for 10 years or so, so I like to think I have pretty good perspective on the subject.  Everything with chains is going to come down to the weight involved.  You can have a 10k rope chain 16" and 3mm thick that weighs 3 grams, and one with the same measurements that weighs 6 grams. The 6 gram chain will be at least double the price due to the cost and value of gold.  You are also going to run into people who base thier prices as a percentage of retail, and those who are pricing based on the "scrap" value.  As for trusting what the seller says is true, do as you would with any other transaction.  Make sure they have great feedback, and a decent amount of it.  I would hesitate to buy jewelry from a seller who does not deal with a lot of jewelry and does not have exceptional feedback for jewelry transactions.  After you recieve your chain, just take it to a jewelry store or pawn shop, and they will test it for you to make sure 100%.

Message 6 of 15
latest reply

Unless you are buying for a child, which you may be, 10" is too small. Measure your neck and you'll get an idea of the size you need. Usually 16" is considered a small/short chain and 18-20" considered average.

I've never purchased gold on eBay so I'll let others speak to those questions.

Message 7 of 15
latest reply

10k does not have that much gold,it is 10/24 which is 41% gold,yes,it is stronger but just does not have as much lustre and some folks are allergic to copper.

YOU MAY want to look into 14K gold.like other said 16 inches is good,will you be wearing a pendant with it,if so,it should be strong enough to hold the pendant and the thickness should match the pendant as well.

Italian 14k gold is quite nice,could cost you a little more,it is all based on weight .

you cango to some website ,type in the carat and the weight and find what is the scrap value of your gold using spot price or premium over spot togive you an idea what you are getting.

estate gold would be cheaper as it is used and some sellers can clean it for you

Put lime in the coconut and call me in the morning !
Message 8 of 15
latest reply

https://www.silverrecyclers.com/Calculators/gold_calculator.aspx

spot price is like 1311 per troy ounce now

Message 9 of 15
latest reply

Chains have 'other' uses.

I estimated 10" would be good, but measuring what I have tells me I need to go to 12" which is even harder to find.  And when you go to 5MM, well ....  

I could ask a few sellers to create a listing for it, but wih the current threatening atmosphere surrounding messages, I won't.

Based on what I've found in listings (or have not found) and some offsite research, I'm leaning towards gold filled.  It isn't really what I was going for, but it's a point somewhere between wishes and reality.    As I understand, it's better than plated by a few degrees and it looks like I can go to 18K that way.

Message 10 of 15
latest reply

WHY is this allowed to happen?????

Of course I don't expect that kind of item for $4, but why is it even allowed to be listed that way?  And why did three people buy it?

Any length selection in the dropdown takes the price well over $200.00

Message 11 of 15
latest reply

18 inches would be good, expect to pay 200 to over 1000 for a decent chain.  The more the gold content the higher the price.  Check out spot price for whatever you are looking to get, figure out the grams and you have the junk price.  You can then probably double it and get the max for a chain.  

Wherever you go, there you are. Please remember, when you are asked if you are a god, you say yes.
Message 12 of 15
latest reply

@chrysylyswrote:

Of course I don't expect that kind of item for $4, but why is it even allowed to be listed that way?  And why did three people buy it?

That is disgraceful.  Unbelievable that sellers do that.  I would never, never, never buy from a seller who misrepresents their listings like that.  

Message 13 of 15
latest reply

@chrysylyswrote:

seller can ask any $ he likes,it is not Ebay business,just buyer beware.

it couldbe 10k goldfill,goldplated or just gold colored.

Message 14 of 15
latest reply

You have to be careful, lots of people are selling the fake chinese jewelry stamped as real gold and silver. My local pawn shop has even gotten burned on that stuff.

Message 15 of 15
latest reply