cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scammed? New Seller (0 items prior) removed item after purchase. How to protect myself?

Seller with 0 previous sales removed the item after purchase. 

It was listed for $700 and judging from the item's past sold histories- it's about $200 less than usual, but I thought maybe I got lucky.

However, I tried to look at my item and it seems that the seller pretty much removed the listing almost immediately after marking it shipped. The seller also has 0 previous sales and has a pretty randomly  generated looking name.

I am afraid that I will either:

1. Receive a fake item

2. Receive nothing at all.

There is a no-returns clause and I was wondering how I could protect myself in this situation. Would a video of me opening the box help just in case the item inside is not what is described? What else would I be able to do to protect myself from either a "tracking number scam" (that I read up on the forums) or a false item scam.

The item is supposedly arriving on Saturday

Thank you!

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Scammed? New Seller (0 items prior) removed item after purchase. How to protect myself?

I also cannot message the seller about the item as the item number has been removed. And as another edit: the tracking number was posted- but the package has not been picked up yet. The Saturday estimate was for a different product

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

One day after the estimated shipping date you were given  in your purchase history under Orders you open and item Not Received claim, or if you receive a different item you open an Item not As Described claim (doesn't match description).

Read here: 

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/ebay-money-back-guarantee-policy/ebay-money-back-guarantee-policy...

The MBG over rides the sellers no returns policy in the case of INR and INAD

I have been imported from Australia and this is my posting ID
Message 3 of 5
latest reply

@rykim_8,

"Seller with 0 previous sales removed the item after purchase".

Sellers cannot remove items they sold from ebay.  eBay did that because they recognized the listing or the seller was a scam.   Even if this had not been a scam buying from a (0) feedback seller often comes with problems, becauase they do not read enough of the getting started as a seller information.

"It was listed for $700 and judging from the item's past sold histories- it's about $200 less than usual, but I thought maybe I got lucky.

While you can sometimes find a bargain on ebay, an item listed for $200 less than the trending price should raise a red flag. Never let a very good or too good to be true price get in the way of your common sense.

You have been a member for about 6 1/2 years and still have not read the terms of ebay's Money Back Guarantee (MBG)?  I suggest reading the info in the link downunder posted and saving/bookmarking it for future use. 

"And as another edit: the tracking number was posted- but the package has not been picked up yet".

This is one of the reasons why buying from (0) feedback sellers can be problematic.  One of the things new sellers do not know is that ebay will place a 21 day hold on all new sellers first few payments.  Quite often they will create a label, but not ship the item because the payment status is marked as Pending, and they do not think they have received the funds.   If you remember the last estimated delivery date for the item, once it has passed by 1 day, you can open an item not received dispute.

This is not a fake tracking number scam. If it were the tracking would have updated and finally showed Delivered.  However, you would not receive anything, because it was delivered to a different address. On occasion you might receive an envelope not a box, and toss it thinking it is junk mail.

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 4 of 5
latest reply

Take a deeeep breath and relax.  As the others have told you, this scam seller was tossed off ebay.  It's impossible for him to receive messages or respond. In MY EBAY, look under PURCHASES and look for the latest estimated arrival date.  One day after that, open an item NOT described case.   Follow the prompts and you will be fully refunded.   Ebay makes you wait just in case the seller shipped the item.  I highly doubt that he did since it's an expensive item.

You will open the case exactly from the actual ad.   Follow the prompts. You will need to come back to the case by the date that Ebay states in the case. 

In the future, if you want to give a newbie a break and buy something from them, make it a cheap item.  Also, if an item is way underpriced, there is often a reason.  So proceed with caution.

Message 5 of 5
latest reply