cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Saved searches not accounting selected currency?

I have a weird problem with saved searches. On Ebay.com my currency is RUB, and when i filter by price, results are filtered correctly. However, when i save a search, on "Saved Searches" page it states that currency is USD.

For example, i filtered a search by limiting price to 16,000 RUB (~$215). In "Saved Searches" however, it states that price filter is "< $16,000", which is wrong! And this is not just a case of wrong currency being displayed - the email i received has items way above my intended limit.

Message 1 of 15
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

I said the word "expected", but surely my expectations are not unfounded? I understand, that from the point of user who deals solely with USD, there are no errors - you save price limits in USD, you get items limited by selected USD, no problem. But if Ebay gives me an option to work with non-USD currency in one place, it makes no sense that it fails to convert numbers in another one, wherever it was made by design or by error.

Apparently you have uncovered a flaw in the way prices are being converted for you. You have described the problem quite well, and it certainly appears to be a problem with currency conversion.

Unfortunately, the users on this board are primarily in the US, and so have no way of experiencing the issue first hand, and are unable to offer any real suggestions to you other than to try a workaround such as converting your ruble limit into US dollars first, then running the search again and saving the new search.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=sega+32x&_sacat=139971&_geositeid=0&_udhi=215&_oac=1&_fcid=168&...

View Best Answer in original post

Message 10 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

The .com (USA) site normally shows prices in US dollars, while it may show the equivalent in the user's currency along with it for members registered in a different country.  If the price only shows in US dollars it may be that you're not signed in so it doesn't recognize in which country you are registered or perhaps the seller does not ship to your country or accept payments from accounts not registered in the USA.

"It is an intelligent man that is aware of his own ignorance."
Message 2 of 15
latest reply

I am currently signed in to Ebay.com, and i have "Convert prices to RUB" options set, so prices are shown in RUB correctly. Also, when i filter by price, it says RUB, and it works as i expect:

hybrid_being_0-1639507638388.png

(it's "16,000 RUB", and i get results that are below this price (not taking shipment into account, but i digress))

But, when i save this search i have this:

hybrid_being_1-1639507760979.png

And here's email i got recently:

hybrid_being_2-1639507836902.png

(notice, that there are items way above $215)

The most simple fix should be to convert price limits from displayed currencies to USD when saving the search. I.e. my search should have been saved as "sega 32x, Video Game Consoles, < $215".

I might have worded my message confusingly, so, please bear with me.

Message 3 of 15
latest reply

Does the seller ship to your country?  That would be my next question.  Of course, we can't rule out one of eBay's legendary glitches messing up the conversion display. 

"It is an intelligent man that is aware of his own ignorance."
Message 4 of 15
latest reply

Which one? If you mean items in email, some ship to Russia, some "may not ship". Not sure how that might be related to saved search, though.

The thing with saved search is, take a look at this URL:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=sega+32x&_sacat=139971&_geositeid=0&_udhi=16000.00&_oac=1&_fcid=...

Notice the _udhi=16000.00 part - that's the maximum price. There is nothing in URL to indicate the currency, but search page on Ebay.com is aware that i set maximum price in RUB and filters accordingly, so it's not just a matter of what is displayed. Saved search (and backend, or whatever is responsible for notification emails) however is not aware of that and treats this number as USD.

BTW, if you open link above, what price limit does it show for you?

Message 5 of 15
latest reply

We see all the prices on your linked page in USD, because we're registered in the United States, and we're logged into ebay.com.

Judging from this thread and your previous thread, you don't seem to be having much luck shopping on eBay. Perhaps there's another online retailing venue that would work better for you. 

Message 6 of 15
latest reply

Yeah, i understand that most people (especially US users) see prices in USD, but what are price limits in filters when you open up my link? Is it "From 0 to $16,000.00"?

And why dissuade me from using Ebay, now? My overall experience with Ebay is pretty positive, I'm just reporting things i find to be working differently from what i expected.

Message 7 of 15
latest reply

@hybrid_being wrote:

Yeah, i understand that most people (especially US users) see prices in USD, but what are price limits in filters when you open up my link? Is it "From 0 to $16,000.00"?

We don't see anything in rubles. Is that what you're asking? Are you expecting a US member to see prices or price ranges or anything to do with money in rubles?

This is what that filter shows:

Capture.PNG

@hybrid_being wrote:

And why dissuade me from using Ebay, now? My overall experience with Ebay is pretty positive, I'm just reporting things i find to be working differently from what i expected.

I'm not necessarily dissuading you from using eBay. I am, however, suggesting you might find another online retailing site that might meet your expectations, because the software designers apparently have expectations that are different from yours.

Not every shopping site is designed to meet the expectations of individual customers. 

Your "reports" are appreciated; however, the issues you've reported so far are nothing I would expect this, or any other, website to do.

Good luck.

Message 8 of 15
latest reply

@pburn wrote:

@hybrid_being wrote:

We don't see anything in rubles. Is that what you're asking? Are you expecting a US member to see prices or price ranges or anything to do with money in rubles?

This is what that filter shows:

Capture.PNG

No, i did expect that you'd have price limit in USD. But, ask yourself, why do you see price limit of "$16,000", when i was searching for items below "16,000 RUB" ($215)? That seem like an incorrect behavior, don't you agree?

I said the word "expected", but surely my expectations are not unfounded? I understand, that from the point of user who deals solely with USD, there are no errors - you save price limits in USD, you get items limited by selected USD, no problem. But if Ebay gives me an option to work with non-USD currency in one place, it makes no sense that it fails to convert numbers in another one, wherever it was made by design or by error.

I'd rather keep using Ebay. It's not like two problems that i encountered make it unusable.

Message 9 of 15
latest reply

Apparently you have uncovered a flaw in the way prices are being converted for you. You have described the problem quite well, and it certainly appears to be a problem with currency conversion.

Unfortunately, the users on this board are primarily in the US, and so have no way of experiencing the issue first hand, and are unable to offer any real suggestions to you other than to try a workaround such as converting your ruble limit into US dollars first, then running the search again and saving the new search.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=sega+32x&_sacat=139971&_geositeid=0&_udhi=215&_oac=1&_fcid=168&...

Message 10 of 15
latest reply

@eburtonlab wrote:

...other than to try a workaround such as converting your ruble limit into US dollars first, then running the search again and saving the new search.

Actually, exactly what i did already, but good call anyway.

It suddenly came to me, that this board is not so much a bug tracker, as i initially thought. Wish there was a better way to indicate to Ebay that there is a bug.

Message 11 of 15
latest reply

It suddenly came to me, that this board is not so much a bug tracker, as i initially thought.

eBay might use this board for that purpose behind the scenes, but if that is happening eBay is not responding here, so there is no way to be sure.

Primarily this board is for users to ask and answer each others' questions, or share tips and workarounds.

It might be worth contacting eBay directly to report a bug -- perhaps through social media -- and to provide a link to this thread.

Message 12 of 15
latest reply

If you click on that link you provided, it may show your search as being $16000USD, but scrolling down and looking at the items they are all listed at normal/reasonalble USD prices, so the high limit is not affecting anything really.

I understand you are annoyed, but I can't figure out why ?

I have been imported from Australia and this is my posting ID
Message 13 of 15
latest reply

@hybrid_being wrote:

I have a weird problem with saved searches. On Ebay.com my currency is RUB, and when i filter by price, results are filtered correctly. However, when i save a search, on "Saved Searches" page it states that currency is USD.

For example, i filtered a search by limiting price to 16,000 RUB (~$215). In "Saved Searches" however, it states that price filter is "< $16,000", which is wrong! And this is not just a case of wrong currency being displayed - the email i received has items way above my intended limit.

Thanks for bringing this to our attention @hybrid_being! We've passed your feedback and example on, and they're taking a closer look into this now. 

Velvet,
eBay
Message 14 of 15
latest reply

Thanks a lot for acknowledging the issue! Helps to know i'm not banging head against the wall 🙂

I'll accept eburtonlab's reply as a solution, since for now it's a usable workaround.

@downunder-61, i don't know what prices you consider "normal/reasonable". If you read the thread, you should've seen that, from my point of view, "reasonable" is below $220, and there are a lot of items above that price. And don't forget that main point of this thread were Saved Searches.

Message 15 of 15
latest reply