cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Requesting a seller to retract a bid

I have never had this problem, and it may just be something I have to eat because I messed up—but I wanted to ask if this was a reasonable grounds for me to request a seller to retract my bid.

I bid on a pair of jeans. I did read the item description a few times and look through the pictures. The description states that the jeans have a button fly closure, which is what I wanted. However, after I became the highest bidder, I went back to look at the ABOUT THIS item description and it state the jeans have a fly closure. I emailed the seller and kindly requested she clarify what type of fly it was, and that if it was not a button fly I would like my bid to be retracted before the item was up and she could sell it to the next highest bidder.

Sure, this may seem petty—but I specifically was looking for a button fly and I feel like the description is inaccurate. I have not heard from the seller and am worried I will have to pay for the item. It is something I can get over and will be more careful about in the future. Was this an appropriate way to handle the situation?! 

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Re: Requesting a seller to retract a bid

I as a seller have cancelled sales in the past. I don't see why there should be a problem. Good luck.  

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

If there is a discrepancy in the description than the seller should cancel your bid. If they don't, make sure you do a print screen of the original listing while it's still active and save that for your files. You can always open an item not as described because the listing says it's a button fly on it (even if it says otherwise in another area). The seller is bound by their description, that's why eBay offers the MBG. 

If the seller is smart they will cancel your bid and avoid a return/strike against them. Perhaps they haven't seen your message yet, not all sellers are actively watching for messages. Maybe they will cancel it and you'll be fine. 

BTW- I also prefer button fly, always have, so no you are not being petty. Best of luck to you....

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

Thank you for adding the details ! You are spot on! There should be no problem ending his or hers bid.
Message 4 of 7
latest reply

you can cancel your own bid if there is more then 12 hours left of the auction.

click on the bids number,under the bidders there is a link.

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

@xtinej90,

"I did read the item description a few times and look through the pictures. The description states that the jeans have a button fly closure, which is what I wanted. However, after I became the highest bidder, I went back to look at the ABOUT THIS item description and it state the jeans have a fly closure".

It sounds like you looked first at the Item specifics not the Description at first. Since the word closure is used rather than zipper, I think the seller just forgot to add "button" in the description. Did none of the photos show whether or not there were buttons or button holes on the fly?

"I have not heard from the seller and am worried I will have to pay for the item. It is something I can get over and will be more careful about in the future. Was this an appropriate way to handle the situation".

Asking a seller to cancel is appropriate, but they do not have to do that. It can lead other bidders to think the seller was using a shill to raise the price. Sellers can cancel bids but many do not know how to do it. 

Depending on how much time was left in the auction your message may not reach the seller in time for them to cancel. Many have jobs and family to deal with and don't have the time to check messages often throughout the day.  A bidder can retract their bid, but there are only 3 legitimate reasons for doing so. The link below explains cancelling bids and there is a link button in it about retracting bids.

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/listings/selling-auctions/canceling-bid?id=4140

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 6 of 7
latest reply

While the seller can cancel your bid as I probably would, only the bidder can retract one.  This may seem to be merely a matter of semantics but the difference is important since there are only limited valid reasons for a retraction and all retractions are recorded on the bidders record.  The seller, on the other hand, can cancel any bid prior to the end of the auction without harm to their's or the bidder's account.

However, depending upon how close to the end of the bidding period you requested the cancellation, the seller may feel that to cancel your bid would result in the item selling for too little since there may not be enough time left for the bidding to rebound.  In such a case, they might feel it better to let the auction continue its course and to cancel the transaction after it closes if you request that or if you refuse to pay, simply file a UID against you.

Another thing the seller may be considering is that some bidders may mistake such a cancellation as evidence of shilling.  This is clearly a possibility judging by the number of treads posted on these boards expressing suspicion of shilling.  

It isn't possible for a seller to change the description in an auction listing once there has been a bid placed, although they can add to it.  However, from your description of the events, it appears to me that it's likely that you merely misread the description of the fly and added the "button" in front of the "fly."  I've often found myself doing something similar when reading something, only to, upon re-reading, discovered I had subconsciously read what I wanted rather than what was actually there.  

"It is an intelligent man that is aware of his own ignorance."
Message 7 of 7
latest reply