cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reporting bootleg dvds has no effect eBay doesn't care!

I have reported bootleg dvds a couple of time in the past months, and they are still offered for sale by the same seller without modification in the description.  It clearly states that he's selling reproduction DVD-R!  Why wouldn't this be treated seriously by eBay?  This suggests that nobody investigates the claims when you report an item, so it's just pointless to continue doing eBay's job as they don't even use the info...
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Radio-Enfer-Season-1-4-discs-REGARDER-EN-BAS-LA-DESCRIPTION/332782138302?ha...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Radio-Enfer-Season-2-3-5-discs-REGARDER-EN-BAS-LA-DESCRIPTION/332782139381?...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Radio-Enfer-Season-4-5-6-discs-REGARDER-EN-BAS-LA-DESCRIPTION/332782137954?...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Radio-Enfer-Season-6-2-discs-REGARDER-EN-BAS-LA-DESCRIPTION/332782139095?ha...

Message 1 of 17
latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

Re: Reporting bootleg dvds has no effect eBay doesn't care!

If you're the only person reporting the seller, eBay will do nothing about it. There needs to be more buyers reporting the seller. It will take a lot more complaints from buyers and maybe ebay will do something about it.

Message 2 of 17
latest reply

@fh991586,

The number of people needed to investigate every reported listing would be a cost ebay couldn't bear.  That is why it takes several reports from different members before they will investigate.  

In a case like this where the seller is saying the DVDs are copies/bootlegs of the original, your best bet to get them removed, would be to contact the company who produces the originals, or since you are located in Canada, contact the appropriate government agency. If you have a Canadian DVD, there is the Government Warning at the beginning, that should tell you where to file a report. In our Case it is an FBI warning. 

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 3 of 17
latest reply

@fh991586,

I ran out of time to edit my first post.

You would report the copyright or intellectual property infringement  to the RCMP. There should be information on their site on how to do that.

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 4 of 17
latest reply

Still, the fact that someone can put an ad for a bootleg product in plain sight without even trying to hide it is not good for eBay's reputation.  Even telling them amounts to nothing, so why anyone should bother reporting?

I could do the same, and get away with it then...

Message 5 of 17
latest reply

@fh991586 wrote:

Still, the fact that someone can put an ad for a bootleg product in plain sight without even trying to hide it is not good for eBay's reputation.  Even telling them amounts to nothing, so why anyone should bother reporting?

I could do the same, and get away with it then...

The chances of multiple people reporting the same listing is slim. I do not bother to report listings any longer. Let the buyer deal with filing the claim.

For some......It seems wisdom has been chasing you, but you have always been faster.
Message 6 of 17
latest reply

When it's so obvious, I don't care about the potential buyer.

We're talking about copyright infringement here!  Theft of intellectual property, plain and simple.  And eBay is a willingly aiding & abetting participant of this scheme.  That's why I really wonder why federal or state organisations don't do much more to stop it when it's so clearly visible...

Message 7 of 17
latest reply

@fh991586 wrote:

We're talking about copyright infringement here!  Theft of intellectual property, plain and simple.  And eBay is a willingly aiding & abetting participant of this scheme.  That's why I really wonder why federal or state organisations don't do much more to stop it when it's so clearly visible...

I doubt the copyright holders or federal or state organisations have the resources to monitor eBay listings for counterfeit dvds. I'm sure it would be appreciated, however, if you would report the items to the copyright holder or the appropriate federal or state organisations responsible for pursuing such violations, as suggested in @mudshark61369's earlier post.

Message 8 of 17
latest reply

@fh991586 wrote:

Ebay has over 1 BILLION live listings at any one given time. How do you propose Ebay or any government organization seek out and stop these listings?

If you contact the rights holder and they in turn contact Ebay, then the listings WILL be removed as Ebay would have no choice but to do so.

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 9 of 17
latest reply

The easiest path would be to eBay to remove such listings when reported, not for the buyer to try to find another agency that will have to follow the same reporting path again on their own!  But I guess nobody really cares in the end...
Sorry, just needed to vent!

Message 10 of 17
latest reply

There is a chance that listings are reported by a competitor to make them go away. If every thing reported was just   removed automaticaly then there wouldn't be many listings left. And as mentioned ebay can't just hire expert detectives in every field to go through the millions of items. There's not an easiest path here.

Message 11 of 17
latest reply

@fh991586 wrote:

The easiest path would be to eBay to remove such listings when reported, not for the buyer to try to find another agency that will have to follow the same reporting path again on their own!  But I guess nobody really cares in the end...
Sorry, just needed to vent!

So if someone has a grudge against you, makes up a fake reason and reports your listings, Ebay should just go ahead and remove them?

There are some less than honorable people out there who would do just that. That's why Ebay won't act on reports from a single buyer. It takes reports from multiple buyers for Ebay to consider removing a listing. 

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 12 of 17
latest reply

No they won't do anything. You are correct. I've reported HUNDREDS of items over the years and NEVER as an item been removed. I have never figured out how some come here complaining that Ebay removed their items. I understand the VERO takedowns but just regular complaints Ebay could not care one bit.

Message 13 of 17
latest reply

@fh991586 wrote:

Only the copyright owner can claim infringement.  It is up to the copyright owner to defend their copyright. 

Actually, unless you are the copyright owner or their legal representative it is doubtful that you are privy to any licensing agreements or know whether the copyright owner has granted permission for someone to use the copyrighted material.  Thus, your report of such infringement wouldn't carry much weight.

You could possibly notify the copyright owner. 

"It is an intelligent man that is aware of his own ignorance."
Message 14 of 17
latest reply

@fh991586 wrote:

I have reported bootleg dvds a couple of time in the past months, and they are still offered for sale by the same seller without modification in the description.  It clearly states that he's selling reproduction DVD-R!  Why wouldn't this be treated seriously by eBay?  This suggests that nobody investigates the claims when you report an item, so it's just pointless to continue doing eBay's job as they don't even use the info...
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Radio-Enfer-Season-1-4-discs-REGARDER-EN-BAS-LA-DESCRIPTION/332782138302?ha...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Radio-Enfer-Season-2-3-5-discs-REGARDER-EN-BAS-LA-DESCRIPTION/332782139381?...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Radio-Enfer-Season-4-5-6-discs-REGARDER-EN-BAS-LA-DESCRIPTION/332782137954?...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Radio-Enfer-Season-6-2-discs-REGARDER-EN-BAS-LA-DESCRIPTION/332782139095?ha...

Be careful what you wish for.  I think this type of activity is why you can no longer sell a lot media on Amazon without a receipt proving it isn't bootleg.  At some point a bit of Caveat Emptor has to kick in. 

Message 15 of 17
latest reply