cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recently viewed items not mine - anyone?

Hello -

I have noticed within the past 2 weeks that my recently viewed section in my eBay account is displaying items I never viewed, nor would ever view.

I have changed my password and also cleared my recently viewed items - and again - I am seeing items that I have not viewed and no one else has access to my account. When you change your passwords, all devices are logged out. I have 2 step turned on as well. I opened a case with eBay and they were not helpful, basically stating the same steps I just mentioned above. Has anyone else experienced this before? 

Is it possible that sites that host eBay ads with promoted items are writing cookies to my web browser account and when those items are displayed while I am logged in are being flagged as items I personally viewed, when I did not?

Thanks

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Re: Recently viewed items not mine - anyone?

If it keeps happening then you probably have keylogging malware on your device. You have to get rid of that and then change your passwords.

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

Thanks for your reply - but how is that possible - I am not getting any 2 factor or device notifications that anyone has logged in - eBay says that my account looks good. 

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

installed MalwareBytes Browser Guard cleared all cookies / site data - eBay is allowing something that is being blocked & reading / writing rogue data to the browser's cache. This popped up on the recently viewed page when in chrome -  I also logged into FireFox and it showed a recently view item (I was not even logged in) - I cleared the cache - the item disappeared.

retrogameboyzcom_1-1680282096942.png

retrogameboyzcom_0-1680282088974.png

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

Update - on Saturday 4/1/2023 - I only used my phone to access eBay - and the recently viewed list was only showing items I viewed - on  Sunday 4/2/2023 - as previously stated I cleared all browser history, sessions cookies etc. on my machines and installed Malwarebytes Browser Guard on both of my machines that I use for eBay - and so far so good. I will continue to update this thread periodically. 

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

Update - 4/4 - still seems to be good. Recently viewed items are only from my views. Someone told me that they saw this happened after contacting eBay social customer service - via Twitter (which is what I did) ??? - in other words - after the rep authenticated with the customer (they send you a link to click)- the eBay rep was browsing items under the customer's account. Who knows maybe i was glitch that eBay is not owning up to. If you search for recently viewed items not mine - etc - you can see posts dating back to 2017 and 2021 where this has happened.

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

I’m not very good with tech my eBay Is doing the same 

is there anything I can do for it. The way you made it seem is there’s nothing that can be done is that correct?

Message 7 of 7
latest reply