cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please add "Block A Seller"

There is a lot of spam listings in the search as well as very unrealistic sellers with insane prices (scalpers, people who think their item is worth many times what it's worth, slow dropshippers, etc.)

Ebay.

Please add a way for buyers to block sellers the way sellers can block buyers.

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Re: Please add "Block A Seller"

@ribbit_toady,

People have been asking for a block seller option for years and ebay will not do that. If they were to allow that, sellers would complain they they are being charged to sell items, and that being blocked reduces the chances of a sale.

Ever since the beginning, there have been sellers who overprice their items.  The smart ones notice the lack of page views and watchers and revise the listing or adjust the price downward when it relists. 

On a search results page even a blocked seller's listings could show up.

Drop shipping is allowed, but the longer delivery time frames are usually a dead give away.

You can use the filters in the left hand column to avoid seeing some sellers items by setting a price range, or eliminating sellers from outside the U.S..  A search title that is spamming is easily noticed as well. 

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 2 of 7
latest reply

You can block up to 10 sellers' items from showing up in a search result using the filters in Advanced Search or in the left column of the search results page (More Refinements: Seller).  You find the filter where you limit the results to those of given seller(s) and change the "Include" to "Exclude" and list up to 10 IDs in the following text box.

You can then save the search (link towards the top left of the results) and then access the saved search in My eBay: Saved Searches (you'll probably want to turn off notices of new listings while you're there) changing the keywords and other filters as needed to find what you are looking for.  You can save multiple searches with up to 10 sellers excluded in each to use for searches in different categories (or other way to distinguish which set of sellers is most likely to have listings in what you are searching for).

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

I use a bio-mechanical system stored next to my computer to make sure that I don't accidently purchase from a seller that I don't wish to do business with.  However, it doesn't keep their listings from showing up in search results.  I expect my brain to let me know if something is too good to be true.  After all, I don't want to give eBay any more excuses for manipulating the search results.

"It is an intelligent man that is aware of his own ignorance."
Message 4 of 7
latest reply

If you don't like the free market price, skip over them and move down the list. Sellers can list at whatever price they want, unless it is an essential item. No one is forcing anyone to buy if they don't like the total price. It is up to the buyer to know prices. If they don't like the price, don't buy. 

I see things all the time that are way over market, not my deal to police them, so just keep looking. 

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

Buyers should have the option to block unreasonable sellers. People consistently selling junk at inflated prices/scam artists - that's their problem.

Ebay has it all wrong. The reason this platform is a success is the massive buyer community. Things should be as essy as possible for us. Sellers who degrade the quality of the platform should have the specter of being excluded from the platform looming behind them. It will force even better user experience. Currently, the only way exclusion happens is if the sellers commit outright fraud.

User experience. Room to improve it further.

This pattern will discourage:

- Inflated pricing

- Scalping

- "Advertising" listings fishing for the highest price ( $100 item priced  at $1000 with "best offer" )

- Lottery/grab-bag listings (which are near always scams)

- Scamming

Seriously. Why isn't this feature on eBay yet? This is literally a social selling platform - we should have the ability to block offensive,  unreasonable and dishonest users.

BTW. This isn't a "free market" - eBay is private property.  eBay sets the rules.

I'm saying eBay should improve the experience for buyers.

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

Search time would increase to unacceptable results due to blocking sellers.

That is one reason it is not done...

Maybe they will find away to do it in time...

Message 7 of 7
latest reply