cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Outragious Prices

I after many years of being on Ebay and having joined almost since day 1 find myself leaving ! It used to be a place to find good deals and bargains. Now it is folks trying to make a living trying to sell yard sale and thrift store finds at a more than new items cost price or buying Walmart close outs and then resell them at three times the price ! I know some will yell I sell "Vintage Stuff" or "Collectables" but I personally refuse to pay the ridiculous prices for this stuff. I can go to specialty sites and get it for a fraction of the price. It is bad when Guitar Center sells items for half what Ebay sellers ask. It is awful when something being sold is automatically priced at three or four times the price it can be bought for elsewhere new. When sellers on these sites refer to Ebay as "Rip Off Bay" and make fun of the sellers selling stuff they know nothing about just that it is used for a certain use so must be worth 300% of its actual selling price.  Especially like the "SOLD AS IS I have no way to check" Yes "Buyer Beware" . The selling costs on here are so high and with shipping added on it runs the prices even more through the roof for people trying to run their Companies ?? Where does it end. For me it stops with me buying anywhere but here. I refuse to be held up. Ebay is doomed and will fall soon. No place can exist doing this or sellers pricing their stuff so high, but they had a good run.

Best of luck to everyone.

Message 1 of 21
latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

Outragious Prices

I make a decent living selling online and flea markets.  This is my only job. I gave up low 6 figure salary 15 years ago and haven't regretted it (much)

Shipping prices ARE outrageous, most of us charge EXACTLY what we are charged, after fees, we lose money on the shipping.

Ebay will be around for a good while.  It's still where buyers go to find the deals.  I expect you're not buying like you used to either.  

Sorry you're burnt out.

Message 2 of 21
latest reply

Outragious Prices

If you are just looking at active listings, you can sometimes get a distorted idea of average prices.

Many items tend to be listed over a broad range of prices. The best deals disappear quickly, though; if you are not looking at the search results during the brief window when they are available you will miss them. Average deals stick around for an average amount of time. The worst deals -- either because sellers want too much, or are using a high price as a placeholder for out of stock items -- tend to stick around forever. Those worst deals may make the average price seem higher than it is, but because they rarely if ever sell, they have no real effect on the actual market.

Message 3 of 21
latest reply

Outragious Prices

@bear52 wrote:

I after many years of being on Ebay and having joined almost since day 1 find myself leaving ! It used to be a place to find good deals and bargains. Now it is folks trying to make a living trying to sell yard sale and thrift store finds at a more than new items cost price or buying Walmart close outs and then resell them at three times the price ! I know some will yell I sell "Vintage Stuff" or "Collectables" but I personally refuse to pay the ridiculous prices for this stuff. I can go to specialty sites and get it for a fraction of the price. It is bad when Guitar Center sells items for half what Ebay sellers ask. It is awful when something being sold is automatically priced at three or four times the price it can be bought for elsewhere new. When sellers on these sites refer to Ebay as "Rip Off Bay" and make fun of the sellers selling stuff they know nothing about just that it is used for a certain use so must be worth 300% of its actual selling price.  Especially like the "SOLD AS IS I have no way to check" Yes "Buyer Beware" . The selling costs on here are so high and with shipping added on it runs the prices even more through the roof for people trying to run their Companies ?? Where does it end. For me it stops with me buying anywhere but here. I refuse to be held up. Ebay is doomed and will fall soon. No place can exist doing this or sellers pricing their stuff so high, but they had a good run.

Best of luck to everyone.

Hmm, I still find bargains with used items in a good condition. Though yeah, I don't know what's up with people upping the prices of discontinued/vintage items. For example, Lego Medieval sets are all like $100+. I'm like, that's only worth $30.. and good deals, they get sold out pretty fast.

You can't also ignore increased shipping fee and collecting taxes. When I buy a $20 item, and have to pay $4 shipping + tax, buyer pays $27, but seller takes probably what? $17 profit? 

Message 4 of 21
latest reply

Outragious Prices

People sell at the price they feel like selling. You are not being forced to buy, and as a buyer, you have the choice to pay what you feel like paying. If you find what you want, at the price that you want, buy it. Why criticize the buyer, if its over priced, its on then to carry it on his inventory, besides is not affecting you. The buyer is the one loosing on the potential sale. Besides, there is always the potential for a sell. 

Reminds of a time when I was redoing the living room, and wanted to get rid of my all wood entertainment center. I listed it on a local platform for free, as I needed to get rid of it quickly in order to jump start my home project. 1 week into it, and nobody contacted me, even with numerous pictures and detailed description. Changed add as a sale and asked $65. 4 hours latter I received an email from a lady who was interested. Her son was moving to college and this will help him for his books, TV, stereo and trophy display. 

She came in with her son and I helped them load it on their van.

There is an old saying in the auto industry, there is a butt for every seat. You never know who will buy, and what they will pay. 

Message 5 of 21
latest reply

Outragious Prices

Maybe your expectations are unreal...

Message 6 of 21
latest reply

Outragious Prices

Part of the problem is that shipping prices have gone through the roof the past few years. 

But as someone who starts everything under $10 at auction regardless of value, I am one of a dying breed from ebay's early days. 

What I have witnessed is a lot of buyers seem to ignore lower prices. However, when I raise the price and change it to buy it now...people will often pay 2 or 3 times more. As illogical as it may seem, this is the trend.

For example, I had an equalizer for $10 that ended with no bids, I relisted it BIN for $19 and it sold 4 days later...

There are low prices on ebay...but if buyers aren't taking advantage of these low prices, then what's a seller to do. 

Message 7 of 21
latest reply

Outragious Prices

Something is worth only what someone is freely willing to pay for it and what the owner is freely willing to sell it for.  No more and no less.  If you don't think an item is worth what the seller is asking for it, your perfectly free to not buy it.

Personally, I remember gas prices at 23¢ per gallon for ethyl, with the occasional gas war price dropping to 19¢.  I sure miss those days.  Alas!  I could probably carry on about today's gasoline prices being outrageous but I don't think it will do much good though.

"It is an intelligent man that is aware of his own ignorance."
Message 8 of 21
latest reply

Outragious Prices

You are right, many sellers do price their inventory high. That is the beauty of having options. Not unlike the leather jacket you purchased, it seems like a fair cost. We all need to do our due diligence and find things that work for us and are financially realistic. 

Just remember,  as stated by previous posters the shipping rates are part of the reason some items are less affordable. 

This industry is going to be interesting to follow. I believe it is here to stay, but in what form it ends up as, it is hard to tell.

From 2007 to 2021 not the same platform.  

I hope you breath and realize how you interact with the knowledge you hold will make your experience much more gratifying. 

I hope.

With Kindness, 

Grandma 

Message 9 of 21
latest reply

Outragious Prices

Some folks on the community boards will tell you higher prices are "just business".

Personally, I have been selling on eBay for 20 years and my conscience still will not allow me to overcharge people in pursuit of the almighty dollar.  Could I ask more for my items - sure - but would they sell?  

I tend to view selling from a different perspective than many others.   Consider a financially disadvantage family or senior citizen.  They may have to save money for months in order to purchase one new set of clothes a couple of times a year at Walmart.  Everybody enjoys brand new items.  But can they afford to shop on eBay?  They purchase a pair of pants and a shirt at Walmart then take a look on eBay and see the exact same clothing priced at triple what they paid, plus they would have to pay for shipping.  Do they then think of eBay sellers as price gougers, rip off artists, greedy people?  Or do they think, hey, I can do the same thing, list a few items on eBay, price them the same amount as other sellers do and make some money.  You know, perpetuate the price points.

Personally, I price my items at what I think is a fair and reasonable price with free shipping.  Pretty much what I would be willing to pay for something that I wanted.  My price takes into account all of my expenses and includes a profit of course.  Not a large profit by any means, but enough to help fund future inventory purchases and pay myself something for all of the work.  I'm definitely not making a full time income (barely part time fast food worker income) but I do enjoy selling on eBay and have many, many repeat customers who like my prices.

I'm sure many on here disagree with what I wrote above.  Some sellers are like me and some are not.  For me it's a matter of conscience and perspective.  

We are seeing more and more posts similar to yours.  Buyers, new or longtime eBay users, who become frustrated and upset over higher prices.  With so many online buying opportunities available it is easy to compare prices and conclude eBay is overpriced.  Which is not always the case.  One of a kind, vintage, antiques, collectibles seem to be competitively priced to me.  Other items, maybe, maybe not, depends on what they are and how badly I want them.   

Sellers who are also buyers are aware of the constant increase in fees and shipping costs and must adjust their prices upward to remain profitable.  Those who only buy may not know of the actual cost of these underlying selling expenses.  

eBay has been here for over 25 years and will be here in some form far into the future.  Ecommerce has become an ingrained American way of life.  Buy it online and have it shipped to you.  Buy it online and pick it up or have Uber deliver it.  Convenience is often worth paying for, saving personal time for other pursuits.

I understand how you feel.  I hope there is other merchandise on eBay that better suits your willingness to acquire it at a price point you are comfortable with.   

Best wishes.

Message 10 of 21
latest reply

Outragious Prices

I agree, high prices are everywhere now, not just ebay. Has anyone been in the grocery store lately?

"Could I ask more for my items - sure - but would they sell".

Exactly, those who have huge warehouses can price high and let it sit for years. As for me, just like many others I'm sure, space is very limited so product needs to move. I have 3 sheds and 1 room in the house to store inventory...that's all the wife will let me have. 

Message 11 of 21
latest reply

Outragious Prices

Flea-market and auctions vary as the crow flies.  You always have to check and compare prices to insure you get the best value.  Yes there are many overpriced items here but there are also some very good buys too.

Message 12 of 21
latest reply

Outragious Prices

Watch YouTube videos of those that do buy at thrift stores, Walmart clearance and then resell for higher prices on EBay.  One shows what they buy at thrift store and then how much they sell it for right here on EBay.  A lot are making good money.  

Message 13 of 21
latest reply

Outragious Prices

Understand your vent and, in all honesty, seeing some of the more than outrageous prices you speak of but also some items described as “vintage” which frankly I’d be ashamed to drop off to the homeless and belong in the garbage, but same time, can’t help but be reminded of P.T. Barnum who is oft quoted as saying “a sucker is born every minute”, same time, and while there is a market for used goods (just ask the Goodwill and Thrift shops, there are those out there who can’t even afford Target or Walmart, we all know it but perhaps don’t want to talk about it in this country, single parents especially who get up and go to work every morning, minimum wage with no healthcare or benefits, some (or many) suffocating in student debt, same time trying to house, feed and clothe their children, gently used items are their reprieve if you will, and eBay among other sources are their friend). Myself, as a lover of vintage and newly retired professional with so much stuff, great stuff, but way too much stuff (being honest, didn’t seem like too much at the time 😉 ), want to downsize and see my stuff go to a great home, one that will appreciate it, as opposed to sitting at the back of my closet or what have you, when it deserves to be loved.

Make money? Is there something I’m missing or is there something suddenly wrong with that—as in, if we’re talking about collectibles, as in, true collectibles, like say a genuine Rolex Patrizzi Dial Daytona or a Paul Newman, why, yes, OF COURSE: Sotheby's Live Auctions & Events | eBay; same with Real Estate, Fine Cars, Fine Wines, Cigars, and, what’s the latest hit movie or sports team (NBA, NFL, NHL, etc. – years ago, just as an aside, they were GIVING box seats away to law firms and banks, etc. at Raptors games, and even then few wished to attend; today? Can you say “SOLD OUT – standing room only” – scalpers, rejoice: kinda like a new transportation link and/or new research facility/university/Big 500 company comes to your town, and suddenly your real estate goes up (capitalism, eh? NOT buyer beware per se, rather, be smart and do your research, early bird wins, worms get eaten or left behind. Same old, same old. Just b/c eBay was among the first doesn’t mean much without competition; thank dog for competition – have you checked out the Real Real lately? Had an invitation from my Bank of all things to do so, and for real? Made some of those here selling what I would consider ready for the trash heap sound good, at least insofar as they were honest with detailed photos, etc., and let’s leave it at that! Perhaps I should take my good stuff, my gently used and true vintage, truly collectible stuff there or elsewhere? I mean, come on: we all, as a buyer myself, and member here as long as yourself, have the “right” to just “ignore” and say “no” as in, don’t have to buy, right? SAME TIME, and truly agree with you on this, the search engine here is a total MESS. Made a thread about it some time ago, didn’t really get much of a response – turns out, other search engines (not eBay’s, hardly) work way better at finding what I’m looking for on any given day, whether it be on eBay or some other place but of course including eBay, than eBay’s search engine itself.

As to postage, true. Same time, how, we, Americans, subsidize the big corps (read: Amazon, Walmart, etc., etc.) with some (read: Amazon) paying little to no taxes (for real? Check it out, the hard-working family I quoted above probably pays more than does Amazon after all the corporate tax subsidies and kick -backs, etc., certainly pays more than our *cough, cough* former pres., but I digress), and yet the postage went up for individuals and small biz, which WOULD be eBay sellers, and never mind the covid, which has if buying new items and/or items requiring new materials has had a profound effect on same, insofar as some countries due to covid never mind vaccination now are still not even shipping to the US, as if punishing us still for mistakes made, but my dog’s man, he’s gone now, and let’s hot even go there, but I digress. BUT fact is, still a problem and shipping is crazy, prices raised even domestically (let’s not even talk about subsiding Big Co., but I digress once again). Yes, same time, shipping costs in America, DOMESTICALLY, are below that of other countries, incl. CANADA whose post, unlike ours, actually turns a profit and whose “boss” was some time ago hired by that of the UK POST, which was frankly abysmal before that happened, and today, is not only easy to track and on time like ours, but apparently also turning a profit as well like Canada’s (can we not figure this out?!). As to seller’s offers, like myself, feel free to Ignore, Accept, or Laugh. Your Choice, Your Money. Yes?

Besto, and happy hunting.

Message 14 of 21
latest reply

Outragious Prices

"Ebay is doomed and will fall soon."

I think I first heard that in 1999, and several times every year since.

List more, sell more. Goodwill that other, uh, stuff.

Feeling sleepy? There's an app for that.
Message 15 of 21
latest reply