cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ordered an item on 4/9/23 that USPS shows label was printed but item never scanned at Post Office

I ordered an item on 4/9/2023 with expected delivery on 4/17/2023 but it shows that label was printed but item was never received by the post office. I contacted the seller who ignored my message to him. My question is if the item doesn't arrive by 4/17/2023 what are my options. When can I get a refund from eBay for non-delivery. There is always a chance the item is in transit but the tracking shows it is not. That plus the seller ignoring my message  has me concerned. He has 98.2 feedback with around 1800 transactions. I looked at his negatives and none were ever for late shipment. Only issues with the items. Hopefully the item will be there on Monday but I'm not holding out hope.

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

Ordered an item on 4/9/23 that USPS shows label was printed but item never scanned at Post Office

eBay has a wonderful Money Back guarantee that protect buyers, for now I suggest you read up on it while you wait until the 17th. By then, you will know what to do. 

To summarize it, day after expected delivery date, if nothing has been received, you can submit an item not received claim through eBay. 

Message 2 of 13
latest reply

I wouldn't worry too much just yet. Sometimes a package doesn't get scanned until delivery when it comes to the PO. If it doesn't arrive on the 17th then a day after the expected delivery date you can file an INR. 

I would normally say to first contact your seller if it hasn't arrived but since they have shown an unwillingness to communicate then I would say that ship has sailed and you owe them no courtesy of communicating with them. 

Message 3 of 13
latest reply

This is typical tracking if the item is crossing the country.  I am seeing something similar right now on an item I shipped from Ohio to Oregon.  It's en route, just not scanned.    

evry1nositswindy  •  seller since 2013
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 4 of 13
latest reply

I would just add to the previous good advice given that a 98.2 feedback score with 1800 transactions is an atrocious score. You might want to take more care vetting your sellers.

Message 5 of 13
latest reply

@jokeman84 

Sometimes packages do not get scanned upon shipping or scanned along the way.

WHEN the latest estimated date of delivery has already passed by at least 1 day, you have up to 30 days past estimated date of delivery to file a Refund Request:

Go to your My Ebay page >> Purchase history

•     Select “More actions” beside your item and then “I didn't receive it.”
  •     Click the box beside I want a refund.
  •     Select Send request.

If the seller does not respond after 3 days, you can ask Ebay to step in to help you.

•     Find the item in your Purchase History
  •     Select See request details
  •     Select “Ask eBay to step in.”
*lady*madonna*
Volunteer Ebay Community Mentor

Message 6 of 13
latest reply

ALL buyers have the Money Back Guarantee to protect them if/when a transaction goes wrong.  If you've not read it yet, now would be a good time.  

Message 7 of 13
latest reply

Good news. The scan finally showed up this morning. Did the seller actually drop off item on Tuesday. I don't know. Now the delivery date is a day later on 4/18. As far as myself because I sell only items around my house and not a bulk seller I get each packaged scanned at the post office window. Doing it this way my items always say accepted at post office the same day I ship. Also this is the first time in my many purchases on eBay that the scan didn't appear within 24 hours. I read further that this seems to be a problem in California and few other states. Nevertheless it is all resolved and I await delivery. Thank you.

Message 8 of 13
latest reply

Actually it was 1500 transactions. As you can only see the last 12 months of negatives and all of them related to a particular item and not involving shipping I took the chance. I am usually looking for no worse than 99 feedback and a for the item I was buying it was nothing but positives and fast delivery so I decided to buy based on a lower price than others. 

Message 9 of 13
latest reply

Uh, to the best of my knowledge, the last estimated delivery date seen when you made your purchase IS the last estimated delivery date and cannot be changed, even by one day.  

Message 10 of 13
latest reply

One of the things I have learned ....if you are looking at tracking by clicking in eBay , you may not be seeing the most current tracking.  If you are questioning a transaction's activity, go to the USPS site and enter the tracking number.

Also, the arrival date is an estimated date, not a guaranteed date.  It seems this year there is a large number of weather events that can affect the transit and delivery of items so missing the estimated date is quite possible.

Also, different areas have different rules - no they aren't supposed to but they do.  In my region - if you have a carrier pick up from your mailbox - either with or without appointment, carriers do not have to scan more than 5 packages (the rest get their first scan at the sorting center).  Actually if you have a rural carrier, they don't have to scan at all.  Or if you put your package in one of the bins at the PO, it does not get scanned until received at the sorting center.  Years ago, the PO would scan when leaving the PO.  That stopped when the population growth exceeded the ability of the POs to keep up with the increased volume of mail. 

The best thing to remember.....it's an estimated date, not a guaranteed date.

Message 11 of 13
latest reply

Items may be delayed in shipping. You...as a seller should also understand this. How would you feel if something you shipped out was in the same situation as this. I don't think something being delayed a few days is a big deal especially when it has tracking. eBay gives an estimated delivery date but usually allows a few extra days after that before a buyer can open a case as non-delivery.

Message 12 of 13
latest reply

"As far as myself because I sell only items around my house and not a bulk seller I get each packaged scanned at the post office window. . . .  I read further that this seems to be a problem in California and a few other states."

My selling ID is a low-volume occasional seller such as you are.  And I am in California.  
I learned this lesson about USPS tracking with my last few sales of 2022.  Now I am less likely to drop my eBay sales into a drive-up mail box.  I feel much more confident about tracking when I stand in line at the post office and have one of the clerks there scan the label and print a receipt for me.  
Even then, it seems an imperfect process. 

My most recent sale was this past Monday, April 10.  I took the labeled packaged to my post office the next day, April 11, and had it scanned at 11:37 a.m., "USPS in possession of item." 

The next entry for that tracking number showed 11:45 a.m., "Pre-Shipment info sent, USPS awaits item." Only eight minutes after it was scanned at the counter.  

Message 13 of 13
latest reply