cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Now people are selling toilet paper by the sheet!

I decided to see if any sellers are selling toilet paper for a reasonable price so I could get a pack of it as I only have enough for a week and to my dismay sellers are selling it by the sheet. Several are selling 4 sheets for 99 cents and 45scent shipping. They seem to be new sellers so I would be curious for them to see that they are not gonna make anything after eBay and PayPal fees plus shipping. But still it’s disgusting to see them selling it that way especially as they are selling it as new when they are pulling it out of packages and then touching it to get 4 sheets.  They have wrong condition and some have big packages of toilet paper as their picture but they are selling only a few sheets at a time. I can just imagine the not as described cases coming their way.

when I think I had seen it all on here now I see sellers doing this. 

Message 1 of 76
latest reply
75 REPLIES 75

Oh my word...

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 2 of 76
latest reply

Ya, it's crazy. 

Your point of it NOT being new anymore - that should be reported to ebay. There's hopefully some type of health protocol on ebay that would prevent this from being allowed. 

Eeeewwwwww, I wouldn't want TP that some stranger wiped their grubby little hands all over!! 

Report the listings. There's a 'report listing' link on every listing.

Some sellers have made a point of assisting ebay in listings removal by reporting ones we see. Some you'll click on and they're already 'unavailable'. Lots of buyers getting immediate messages say items are not available.  ebay is doing what they can - it's called Whack-A-Mole.  Hit one, two pop up. 

Message 3 of 76
latest reply

Hey, just wait for the 'returns' to  start!  "This TP 'Not As Described', it is too scratchy - I want to return it and get my money back."

Not saying 'NO' doesn't mean 'YES'.

The foolishness of one's actions or words is determined by the number of witnesses.

Perhaps if Brains were described as an APP, many people would use them more often.

Respect, like money, is only of 'worth' when it is earned - with all due respect, it can not be ordained, legislated or coerced. Anonymous
Message 4 of 76
latest reply

Perhaps I need to head out to the corn crib and see how many cobs I have on hand. 😉

"It is an intelligent man that is aware of his own ignorance."
Message 5 of 76
latest reply

@picknparley wrote:

Eeeewwwwww, I wouldn't want TP that some stranger wiped their grubby little hands all over!! 

Eeeewwwwww, I wouldn't want TP that some buyer purchased, wiped their grubby little xxx all over, and then open an item not as described case. Then return the defective but now used TP but only after eBay issues a return shipping label on the sellers behalf.

In this particular case I would not report these types of listings. Just let them proceed as normal. Karma is going to be way harsher for those sellers than any penalty eBay could impose.

My sides are starting to hurt because I can't stop laughing just thinking about all of the possible permutations this situation could produce for these TP resellers. 😄😂😆

Message 6 of 76
latest reply

@go-bad-chicken 

Yeah, I can just hear the conversation with CS now (karma in action):

Seller: 'It's TP, they can't return it.' 

CS: 'They opened a NAD return case, and MBG says they get their money back.  Just send a return label and refund when it gets returned.  Or, just let them keep it and refund, but then you can't just refund 50% and resell it.'

Seller: 'Yeah, I suppose I could resell it as 'Designer Tissue', what with skid marks and all.'

Not saying 'NO' doesn't mean 'YES'.

The foolishness of one's actions or words is determined by the number of witnesses.

Perhaps if Brains were described as an APP, many people would use them more often.

Respect, like money, is only of 'worth' when it is earned - with all due respect, it can not be ordained, legislated or coerced. Anonymous
Message 7 of 76
latest reply

As a kid growing up, my mom used to tell me that "normal" people use just 1 sheet of TP to wipe. I think she was trying to get me to conserve.  😃

Papa Was A Rolling Stone - The Temptations
Message 8 of 76
latest reply

The fact that people are stockpiling toilet paper is unnecessary, and sellers taking advantage of naive people is shameful.

• First, toilet paper is an American product (it is not imported), and there is sufficient supply.
  • Second, the reason why toilet paper has gotten the myth of a "short supply" item in a crisis likely began with a Johnny Carson joke in 1973 which caused the "TP scare of '73" during the oil embargo - there wasn't a shortage, but a rumor from a congressman turned into an obscure news item, which resulted in the joke, which in turn caused empty shelves of toilet paper, which reinforced the rumor.
  • Third, in a crisis psychologists know that people want to have control to create order ... and toilet paper has become the medication to help them.  It is one small way that they feel that they are reducing risk (it is called "zero risk bias" ... it makes them feel better). 

So, hordes of Americans naively stock-pile toilet paper because this has rooted itself into the psyche of Americans.

Message 9 of 76
latest reply

image.png

What has toilet paper has to do with combating the virus!?!

Uninformed over-thinking, panic mode for some folks.  

Good healthy hygiene practices be part of our daily lives - need not take a pandemic or epidemic of infectious diseases to educate us that good healthy hygiene is important.

-

Lucas

*still rollin' with the punches*

Message 10 of 76
latest reply

@orangehound wrote:

The fact that people are stockpiling toilet paper is unnecessary, and sellers taking advantage of naive people is shameful.

• First, toilet paper is an American product (it is not imported), and there is sufficient supply.

Not true.  I, like so many others, wondered about the TP hoarding.  I said, surely all of our TP can't be coming from China.  So I grabbed a package of my Charmin Ultra Soft and read it.  To my surprise it says:

"Made in the USA from domestic and imported materials."

I am not really interested enough, to do the research, to determine which materials are imported, or why those materials are not readily available domestically.

I am just thankful that I have a 36 pack of Mega rolls.  Wanna buy a few sheets?

Message 11 of 76
latest reply

I'd love to see the questions to seller!

"Do you ship really, REALLY fast?  Maybe drone deliveries?"

Message 12 of 76
latest reply

Someone selling 1 roll for $1,410.00. How do you report these listings?

Message 13 of 76
latest reply

@callahanmagic wrote:

image.png

What has toilet paper has to do with combating the virus!?!

Uninformed over-thinking, panic mode for some folks.  

Good healthy hygiene practices be part of our daily lives - need not take a pandemic or epidemic of infectious diseases to educate us that good healthy hygiene is important.

-

Lucas

*still rollin' with the punches*

It doesn't.  It is just part of the stocking of our homes in case we need to stay here for an extended period of time.  

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 14 of 76
latest reply

On another thread I teased a bit.  We live on 5 acres, full of trees.  I said if I ran out of TP I would just dry out some leaves that seem to be an endless supply for me and use them.  I was considering gathering some of them and put them in a plastic bag to sell on Ebay.  A little giggle would be good for many of us right now.

😁heart

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 15 of 76
latest reply