cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not Buying Here Anymore!

Well, after this last experience with a bad seller on eBay, I won't be buying any items on here.

Recently bought a doll that was labeled Antique and when I received it, I realized it was

just a well done reproduction of a very expensive doll - so well done, that viewing the

photos on eBay did not help me judge whether it was antique or not. 

So, I immediately contacted the seller and told her it was a repro (and the reasons why) and then returned the doll to her, and got refunded the $ for the doll plus shipping cost.

She told me the doll was appraised by a very famous doll dealer, but he has since died,

and she had wished she'd got a written appraisal instead of word of mouth.  I let that one

pass by, because I knew she was lying, but just wanted to get this over with, and have my

money returned, so told her it was in fact a repro and she should get a new appraiser.

So, after I get the money refunded, I decide to leave her negative feedback based on

the fact that she did indeed know it was a repro when she listed it (she finally admitted

her "error" and when she relisted the doll again, she wrote it was a repro and asked 1/2 price

what she charged me for the doll).

I left negative feedback saying I was sold a repro that was stated to be an antique and it

was a bad experience.  The next thing I know, I see the doll listed once again, so I go and

check her page and notice SHE HAD THE NEGATIVE FEEDBACK REMOVED.  Yes, that's right.

I call customer service and am directed to trust and safety and after the woman there looks

up the feedback, she says the seller should not have had the feedback removed, and she

would file a report that says I would like the feedback reinstated and also to report the seller

on her actions. She told me it would take 24 to 72 hours to have this feedback put back on,

but she couldn't guarantee that it would be put back. It was hard to understand the CS as

she sounded foreign, but that I was the gist of it.

I never received an e-mail verifying that I had called and complained and requested to have

the feedback reinstated, so I'm wondering if anyone will really take my compaint seriously,

and based on my non trust of e-bay and how odd it was that the feedback was removed, I 

will seriously not buy any item here anymore.

I hope you all can understand why e-bay has lost so many buyers lately, and I think this

example explains one reason why. Somehow, this seller was able to manipulate e-bay

into removing my feedback, when I had not broken any feedback rules!  Does she know 

someone there?  Food for thought.

Message 1 of 27
latest reply
26 REPLIES 26

Not Buying Here Anymore!

Sorry that happened to you.  While the seller may know someone or have their own rep, some sellers call and call until they get a rep who will remove it for them.  IOW they wear them down, and call incessantly until they get their own way.  Generally, CS will tell you they cannot reinstate negative feedback that has been removed.  If she left feedback for you, you can respond to that and it will show on her page, and that may not be removable.  Buyers are generally not pleased when this happens.  It's sad that sellers do this; if negs are that crucial, just don't post an inaccurate listing.  Be upfront and accurate.

I understand how you feel, but not every seller does this, so you might want to stick around awhile.

Message 2 of 27
latest reply

Not Buying Here Anymore!

Hi Castle,
Thanks for the info - I did go and leave a reply to her feedback, but I wonder how many buyers will see this! Just seems like I have no luck on e-bay...so, even tho' I know there are plenty of good sellers, if I do buy here again, I will stick with the sellers I already know who are trustworthy.
Message 3 of 27
latest reply

Not Buying Here Anymore!

Many sellers feel any and every neg is unjustified, unwarranted, and undeserved, regardless of the facts.  But that thought drives this behavior.  They also fear losing sales when buyers see a neg, still, the best way for them to avoid this is to list accurately.  Buyers just want the item they ordered in the condition specified in the listing.  

Message 4 of 27
latest reply

Not Buying Here Anymore!

@antiquedayz wrote:
Hi Castle,
Thanks for the info - I did go and leave a reply to her feedback, but I wonder how many buyers will see this! Just seems like I have no luck on e-bay...so, even tho' I know there are plenty of good sellers, if I do buy here again, I will stick with the sellers I already know who are trustworthy.

@antiquedayz wrote:
Hi Castle,

I have been in your situation.  Buyers generally check feedback comments the seller received, but some check what they have given to see if the seller could be difficult post sale.  Probably not many do that, though.  

Most sales on Ebay do go through smoothly and successfully.  Sorry you had a bad experience.

Message 5 of 27
latest reply

Not Buying Here Anymore!

So the seller with fabulous feedback who sells dolls for a living made a mistake, owned her mistake, took the item back, made you whole, and relisted it with new information at half the value previously listed when the head was thought to be original.  Pictures were well taken.  You even said it was so well done.

I think that's good customer service.  Mistakes happen and the seller did right after her error was brought to her attention. 

If she had listed it again as an original, then I wouldn't think twice about leaving a negative.  Her "error" by listing it with different information brought to her attention by you was not an admission of guilt.  It was a correction.

Original listing even said "new leather body" with "antique head" so the body was a repro to begin with.  

If the seller was shady, she would've listed it again for $800 instead of $400.  She lost shipping both ways (likely $20+) and lost $400 of potential profit over her error.  Did you need to exact your pound of flesh on top of that?

Message 6 of 27
latest reply

Not Buying Here Anymore!

@antiquedayz wrote:

Well, after this last experience with a bad seller on eBay, I won't be buying any items on here.

Recently bought a doll that was labeled Antique and when I received it, I realized it was

just a well done reproduction of a very expensive doll - so well done, that viewing the

photos on eBay did not help me judge whether it was antique or not. 

So, I immediately contacted the seller and told her it was a repro (and the reasons why) and then returned the doll to her, and got refunded the $ for the doll plus shipping cost.

You are indeed lucky to have made a purchase on ebay and had the protection of a money back guarantee.

Realize, some sellers that are not on ebay, may require a buyer to submit a written opinion from a recognized expert, sometimes more than one expert, to dispute a seller's claim of authencity.

Hope this will be of some help.

Message 7 of 27
latest reply

Not Buying Here Anymore!

A rather defensive answer lintbrush. What's up with you? The seller was shady...she said it was appraised by Richard Wright who died years ago, and she'd bought the doll just a little while ago. Sooo, I should trust her? AND if a seller says the head is antique, but it is the same gradation and type as the body limbs, then you know she's either lying or just plain stupid...since she's a member of a doll association, I tend to say she was lying. I have more to back up why I reacted the way I did, but don't want to take up that much space. Be careful who you attack, as you don't know ALL the facts. If I weren't sure of myself, I wouldn't have posted here, now would I?
Message 8 of 27
latest reply

Not Buying Here Anymore!

No, I'm not defensive.  

Based upon the information you provided (even though you now claim to have more), I formulated an answer.

And I still stand by what I said...

A shady seller would've relisted it again as an antique original  and not how it is currently listed - as a repro for half the price of the original listing when it was determined to be original.

You're the one who set the tone with your title, "Not buying here anymore!"

Message 9 of 27
latest reply

Not Buying Here Anymore!

Right, blame the victim lint - good going! Oh, and might I add that I always had the additional information, but didn't include it in the first post, because the post was already lengthy...but, I don't have to explain myself to you, now, do I?  I just hope you find yourself in the same situation someday, and I can't wait to read about your experience and how you're going to give the seller every leeway, and excuse as to why he/she ripped you off.

Message 10 of 27
latest reply

Not Buying Here Anymore!

What exactly did your feedback say?That is the only way we can suggest a reason it was removed.

I don't see why one bad experienc would cause you to never buy here again especially since while you were disapponted you were made whole(got a full refund)

This is a user to user board not eBay employees.
----------------------------------------------------------------
When people show you who they are, believe them
Message 11 of 27
latest reply

Not Buying Here Anymore!

I said something like, "Sold repro doll as antique. Had to return. Bad transaction".
That's all I said, nothing disparaging about the seller at all. Just wanted to alert others that they should be very careful when purchasing from this seller. The CS Rep said the wording of the neg was fine, so I don't understand why it was removed.
Message 12 of 27
latest reply

Not Buying Here Anymore!

Does eBay have a policy to remove negative feedbacks if the buyer also sells dolls (i.e. a competitor)?

Message 13 of 27
latest reply

Not Buying Here Anymore!

@doctorfegg wrote:

Does eBay have a policy to remove negative feedbacks if the buyer also sells dolls (i.e. a competitor)?

You nailed it! I'm sure the seller presented her case for removal stating the OP is a competing seller, making the feedback potentially malicious. Your selling antique dolls, so this wasn't hard for her to point out.

It's best not to buy and sell the same type of items on one ID.

Message 14 of 27
latest reply

Not Buying Here Anymore!

So what you were really trying to do was get rid of your competition. 

----------------------------
Successful and experienced seller since 1997, over 70,000 feedback, boardie since the boards were begun.
Message 15 of 27
latest reply