cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New tax Laws will effect sales more than GTC

Last night I bought a baseball card and the tax on the invoice was 1.90, didn't know it was going to be that high. I spoke with a customer rep about how to check what the tax will be if any, was told to put item in my cart and it will show, however it won't say what the tax will be on an auction only buy it now. Since I don't know what the tax will be guess I will be virtually stop buying on ebay, and thats why I think sales will go down for a lot of people

Message 1 of 28
latest reply
27 REPLIES 27

Re: New tax Laws will effect sales more than GTC

It can't show in an auction as the final price is not set until it ends

Ebay is required by law to collect said tax so why be mad at them or seller just figure a % into you bid

This is a user to user board not eBay employees.
----------------------------------------------------------------
When people show you who they are, believe them
Message 2 of 28
latest reply

I know it can't show in an auction and I'm not mad at ebay I understand ebay has to collect the tax but I like other people here buy then resell so if the total purchase price (price for item, shipping, taxes) leaves not much for a resell profit then I wouldn't buy. Also I have lots of .99 items I know these probably won't sell because who wants to pay tax on it

Message 3 of 28
latest reply

OK, You buy to resell !! Online, no matter where you go To Buy there is going to be Taxes wherever Tax is Required Now !! So, If You Resell Online that Tax Money Could Be Passed Back to You with a SALE !! If you resell Offline than Yes Your Profit Margin Will Get Cut by a Percentage !! 

Message 4 of 28
latest reply

@gooofball wrote:

Last night I bought a baseball card and the tax on the invoice was 1.90, didn't know it was going to be that high. I spoke with a customer rep about how to check what the tax will be if any, was told to put item in my cart and it will show, however it won't say what the tax will be on an auction only buy it now. Since I don't know what the tax will be guess I will be virtually stop buying on ebay, and thats why I think sales will go down for a lot of people

The tax rate is determined by your shipping location, so you should know what percentage is charged in the stores where you live. The sales tax for online purchases is the same percentage as you are charged locally.

If you are a business buying for retail, then you can get an exemption form from your state and submit it to eBay so they won't charge the sales tax. It will take about 7-10 days to be put into effect on your account.

https://www.ebay.com/help/buying/paying-items/paying-tax-ebay-purchases?id=4771#section2

Message 5 of 28
latest reply

My Edit for my previous message timed out 😱 I meant to say the Tax will be Passed on to the Next Buyer and so forth and so on 😎 The Tax Money will never come back to You rather keep being passed on from Buyer to Buyer 😱 It's a Scam , Tax on a Tax on a Tax if you Resell 😝 

Message 6 of 28
latest reply

The tax is what ever you are suppose to be paying. As a seller you should know what your sales tax percentage is. Use that percentage to know what will be added onto the bid. If you are reselling, you can get a sales tax exemption send to eBay and they will remove it. If you really don't know what the percentage is, ask a local business what they charge for sales tax. It should be no higher than 10%. It is usually in the 7 to 8% range depending on your local government aka town, village, city percentage.
Message 7 of 28
latest reply

If  you are buying to  resell then simply apply for a tax exemption  certificate from your state, etc.  And register it with eBay.

"I have the right to remain silent but I didn't have the ability." Ron White, Fritch, Texas
"Stay away from negative people, they have a problem for every solution." A. Einstein
The Devil made me do it! - Flip Wilson
If the band can only play loud - they ain't no good - peps too J.R. Johnson
Message 8 of 28
latest reply

@sweetpieces4you wrote:

My Edit for my previous message timed out 😱 I meant to say the Tax will be Passed on to the Next Buyer and so forth and so on 😎 The Tax Money will never come back to You rather keep being passed on from Buyer to Buyer 😱 It's a Scam , Tax on a Tax on a Tax if you Resell 😝 

The  same thing  happens when you buy a new  car adn later on trade it in then it is sold as a  used  car sales tax is collect.  Same for items donated to  Goodwill, etc, the collect  taxes on their  used stuff too.

"I have the right to remain silent but I didn't have the ability." Ron White, Fritch, Texas
"Stay away from negative people, they have a problem for every solution." A. Einstein
Message 9 of 28
latest reply

Thank you for the Correction...I am in the Forum all the time to find all the Latest Info on Tax Laws...I Fully understand your Latest Message..Thanks to you SIR for the Latest Update ...I'm GOOD to Go...😀

Message 10 of 28
latest reply

well you are going to get taxed again when paypal sends you the 1099. I noticed that paypal is reflecting the tax paid by buyer to me but Ebay is keeping the tax.

Message 11 of 28
latest reply

@aawmiller wrote:

well you are going to get taxed again when paypal sends you the 1099. I noticed that paypal is reflecting the tax paid by buyer to me but Ebay is keeping the tax.

If the sales tax shows on Paypal, then the buyer is in a state where eBay DID NOT collect the tax at the time of the sale.  Those sales taxes are your responsibility to remit to the correct state.

If eBay collects the tax, it's a SEPARATE transaction that does not appear in your paypal history or reporting.

The 1099 is for Federal Income taxes, not sales taxes, so I don't know why you even bring that up.  Completely different subject.

Member of the Grumpy Old Man crew
Message 12 of 28
latest reply

@dtexley3 

Re:  Your post #12 of 13 >>>>> Good call - spot on. 

Just another good reason to always get a second opinion.

Another rumor miss guided missile - says if you store a battery on a concrete  floor it will discard - yes they did at one time when the cases were  made out of rubber.

Message 13 of 28
latest reply

will discard discharge - my  bad

Message 14 of 28
latest reply

my understanding after talking to eBay in late April / early May is that 5 states has enforced taxes for people buying within their state. At this time, Paypal is collecting this tax and the seller does not need to worry about paying / filing taxes to these states. 

Message 15 of 28
latest reply