cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New boots ruined by cigarette smoke

I guess im here to vent, because I don’t think I have any recourse.  Last week I bought and received a like new pair of hiking boots from a seller who took them down 5.00 on a make offer listing.  It was a good price and the seller even confirmed they had hardly been used.  When I got them I was so excited……they were sent in a box with wadded up newspaper that I could tell had been around cigarettes, but I pulled the boots out and tried them on and dumb me I immediately left positive feedback because that’s how I do it, otherwise I forget.  
so it’s been four days since they arrived.  They REEK of cigarette smoke.  I have tried multiple things to help lessen the smell but it’s no good, it’s just terrible.  Im not sure I can wear them, as much as I want to…….I am totally turned off.  And im not preachy about smokers, I smoked years ago and quit.  But it wasn’t mentioned in the listing and the seller had said they were like new and hardly worn, so I had no idea.  Is there any way to get eBay to help me on this, the seller has a no return policy but honestly, these smell terrible and I’m tempted to throw them out, they are that bad.  And I left positive feedback, like an idiot.  Sigh.  

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

@junkie40 You have purchased an item on a platform that offers a money back guarantee, so you have nothing to worry about. Just follow the procedures for a return. Go to your purchase history and select the item. Mark it as item not as described, which is the option you need to select, and it wasn't described as reeking of smoke so it's correct. You only get one chance at opening a return case so take your time and choose this option. Seller will have to send you a return label and then all you have to do is print the return label and ship it back before the time period ends. Very simple and you will receive a full refund. Makes no difference that you left positive feedback, all you need is a refund for these 'smoking' hot boots. Best of luck to you....

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

Ha lamber….smokin hot haha!  That’s for sure.  I have contacted the seller and get this, she claims she isn’t a smoker.  Did I mention there was an issue of delayed shipping because of a lame excuse?  But I overlooked that once the tracking showed it was on its way.  Now, there is NO WAY anyone, especially a non smoker would not think these smelled.  The paper in the box with them smelled, I just wasn’t smart enough to stop right there.  The boots really do look like hardly ever used, and she assured me they were in like new condition.  I wanted to think maybe she had to have found a pair from someone else if she is a non smoker, but then there’s the fact that she did take listing pictures…….hmm

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

I find people rarely want to accept any wrongdoing these days and just pass the blame onto someone else. It was the mail carrier who was smoking on their lunch break, that penetrated the box.... 

I would suggest you not message any further with the seller. The returns process is all automated so really just follow the prompts in the case and you'll be all set. You'll get a full refund and can find these same boots with someone else.... 

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

Yeah, buyers have the F A clause. Some people are quick to tell you that even  though one or two eBay blues have said if the seller has no disclaimer about smoke or pets  then the buyer's concerns about odors related to these factors would not be covered. They don't  cover musty or perfume smells either. 

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

@junkie40 

I think that @lamber9347 has offered good advice if you want to return them for a refund. You have a bit to decide...

I love my leather, am from Nashville and love good boots, too... hiking, cowboy, rain, etc. If this is a pair of boots I wanted, I'd set them out in the sunshine for a few days. Here, sunshine really is the best disinfectant. Do you have a safe place to do that? If so, you could hold your decision for now.

Message 6 of 6
latest reply