cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need to know?

Hi all,

Just wondering about this.   I purchased two Bluetooth headphones from different sellers.  One in California and one in New Jersey.   I happened to see something (not related to electronics) this morning and decided to check my bank account balance, which I always do just to make sure nothing has gone through without my knowledge.  Upon looking I noticed two charges from BOTH sellers about some International Service Assessment Fee.  I searched and found that Visa has a fee I guess for foreign transactions.   Fine, I am okay with that IF I am ordering from a FOREIGN country.  However, both sellers are listed as US-based.  

My thinking is that if a seller is US-based and using some sort of fulfillment service or even a friend to ship domestically there should be some warning that they use a foreign-based bank/service to get the money and that it should include that information for all their sales.   It's not the cost, it was only 75 cents per transaction but what if some fee was much greater?  It's not about the charge but rather something that just shows up that makes you end up paying more.  I probably would NOT have ordered if I knew there were HIDDEN fees because apparently they are not required to divulge that they are actually in a foreign country but just ship in the US, BUT have a bank/service outside the US.    

Over the years I have heard a lot of complaints about eBay but for the most part they seem to have everything under control and provide a great place to buy.  However, this just doesn't wash.  They need to require foreign sellers to disclose to US buyers that there may be fees associated with using any kind of payment option.  It's the RIGHT thing to do, no?

Thanks 

Chuck

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Re: Need to know?

@charleskinney,

"Upon looking I noticed two charges from BOTH sellers about some International Service Assessment Fee. I searched and found that Visa has a fee I guess for foreign transactions. Fine, I am okay with that IF I am ordering from a FOREIGN country. However, both sellers are listed as US-based".

Look at each seller's feedback profile page, chances are you will see the seller's are registered in China.  Unfortunately, many chinese sellers give a U.S. location but do ship from China. Items listed with Ca., & N.J., ... and some other locations are often actually shipped from China. 

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 2 of 9
latest reply

I had this happen on another website. Ordered from Arizona and received order in two days so sure it wasn’t shipped from overseas but was charged the fee.

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

Fine, I am okay with that IF I am ordering from a FOREIGN country.  However, both sellers are listed as US-based.  

For some reason, the "extra fees"  sounds like an issue with your credit card.  It should not matter where the seller is located, if you made a payment in USD to PayPal or to eBay's Managed Payments program. 

PayPal adjusts your price to include any currency conversion costs before you pay, if the seller does not accept USD.  You pay only the amount displayed at the time of purchase. 

eBay managed payments charges the seller for any currency conversion. 

I would call Visa and see what is up. 

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

@ittybitnot wrote:

Fine, I am okay with that IF I am ordering from a FOREIGN country.  However, both sellers are listed as US-based.  

For some reason, the "extra fees"  sounds like an issue with your credit card.  It should not matter where the seller is located, if you made a payment in USD to PayPal or to eBay's Managed Payments program. 

PayPal adjusts your price to include any currency conversion costs before you pay, if the seller does not accept USD.  You pay only the amount displayed at the time of purchase. 

eBay managed payments charges the seller for any currency conversion. 

I would call Visa and see what is up. 

I agree that it is probably a Visa issue.  This wouldn't have anything to do with currency conversion as the listing was in $US.  The seller always receives payment in the currency that the listing was in.  

btw...Sellers in managed payments do not pay the conversion fees...buyers always pay that. 

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

Are you positive about that? I recall seeing something on the Managed Payments board that seemed to indicate the seller was responsible for the conversion fee.

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

Was supposed to start in July:  

International fee

If your registered address is in the US, we charge an International fee if either the buyer's registered address or the delivery address for the item is located outside of the US. This fee is calculated as 1.65% of the total amount of the sale and is automatically deducted from your sales.

If your registered address is not in the US, please refer to the fee page for your country of residence for your International fee information.

Seller currency conversion charge

If your registered address is in the US, when a buyer purchases your item in a currency other than your payout currency, eBay will convert the funds to your payout currency using a "transaction exchange rate" we set for the currency exchange. The transaction exchange rate is adjusted regularly and includes a currency conversion charge of 3% applied on a base exchange rate. The base exchange rate is based on rates within the wholesale currency markets on the conversion day or the prior business day; or, if required by law or regulation, set at the relevant government reference rate(s). The currency conversion charge will be automatically deducted from your sales. 

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

Okay, I was eBaying for the last bit of time.  I thank all those who responded.  I thought this was weird because the sellers were both listed as in the US and it was in US dollars.  I have PayPal set up so when I make a purchase it automatically/instantly comes out of my Debit Card.  I don't understand this as I am sure eBay's payment system is in the US and all I did was basically transfer from my bank account via PayPal to eBay.  As far as it looks the money actually never left the US.  Odd.  I will have to get ahold of my bank and see what's up.   

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

If the seller is registered in another country and has a foreign bank, typically in Asia, your credit card or bank may be assessing a foreign transaction fee to cover the cost of additional paperwork, even if there is no actual currency conversion involved. It is not an eBay fee at all, and eBay does not receive the money, your credit card or bank charges that fee to you directly to cover the costs of the transaction.

Check the seller's profile or feedback page to see where the seller's eBay account is registered -- that might be an indication of a seller with a foreign bank account. Sometimes even if an item ships from a US warehouse (or is listed as shipping from the US), the transaction can still be subject to such a fee.

Since the fee is determined by your bank or credit card terms, using a different payment source might avoid such fees. My credit card charges me 2% foreign transaction fees, but if I pay those sellers using eBay Bucks instead, I am not charged a fee at all (so far).

Since eBay has no idea what credit card you may choose to use or the terms it might have, eBay cannot know in advance how much the fee might be -- though eBay could certainly do a better job of making it easy for users to identify which sellers are registered overseas and might therefore cause buyers to incur such fees.

Message 9 of 9
latest reply