cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mandated default payment method - Ebay is losing my business as a buyer

Since I joined earlier this year, I have spent several thousand dollars easily on collectibles for my hobby. Now with the requirement that I store an "immediate payment" method for offers and auctions, this will no longer be the case. I frequently make offers on or bid on multiple items from the same seller.  I will not deal with the hassle of having to pay multiple shipment costs or manually work something out with the seller on a partial refund. I want to pay with Google Pay or Paypal, not have my credit card on file on ebay's servers. I do not want to deal with multiple orders for what should be a single purchase. You have made this well beyond simply inconvenient ebay, and I won't continue to fund your bad decisions via fees from my purchases, and I suspect a lot of other people won't either.

Message 1 of 48
latest reply
47 REPLIES 47

Re: Mandated default payment method - Ebay is losing my business as a buyer

@keepitpumpin44 wrote:

How about requiring this for ebayers with 10 feebback or less.  Wouldn't that weed out about 90% of the issues?  probably higher?

I cannot speak for others, but my experience was that most non-payers (and other problem buyers) had high feedback numbers. I do not recall any low FB non-payers; they usually seemed excited to find and buy something they were looking for and completed the transaction accordingly. Again, just an anecdote but that was what I observed.

Message 46 of 48
latest reply

I absolutely will NOT place a bid with mandated payments.

That is a non-starter.

I also make it a point to tell sellers that they are loosing business because of this.

When there is something I would like to have purchased and the auction ends with out a purchase, i let the know i would have purchased the item from them if it where not for this policy.

Message 47 of 48
latest reply

I completely agree.

When Ebay imposed the mandatory pre-authoriztion, the first thing I did was delete my payment options from Ebay.  I have >2500 transactions and a %100 reputation (ie I pay fast).  This goes way beyond requiring per-authorization.  If thats all this was about, they would have a system in place where people with bad reputations have to do this and people with excellent ones do not.

There is something else going on here and my trust in Ebay is rapidly disappearing.

Message 48 of 48
latest reply