cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MISMATCHED Sneakers passing AUTHENTICATION!!!

This past week I purchased a pair of Jordan Retro 1 x J Balvin Sneakers in Size 9, for $425.  Considering I was paying a premium price for this item, I corresponded with seller beforehand to make sure everything about the sneakers was perfect.  Seller shipped the item very quickly through USPS Priority Mail on 12/22/21.  The package was delivered to the Ebay authenticator partner in NYC 2 days later, on 12/24/21. 

Because the time-lapsed between the USPS delivery (12/24/21, 12.39 pm) and the actual notification from eBay that my order had been authenticated and shipped (12/24/21, 1.09 pm) was just 30 minutes, I felt uneasy and wondered if the authentication process and preparation for shipping the item to me had been rushed and/or compromised.  Only needed 4 more days to really find out! 

The package was delivered to me on 12/28/21.  THE SNEAKERS I received WERE MISMATCHED:  the RIGHT shoe was a SIZE 8 US; the LEFT shoe was a SIZE 9 US. 

At first, I couldn't tell who was responsible for the size mismatch and thought of it as an unintentional mistake.  However, after very careful examination of the photos posted by seller and some "forensic" investigation on another platform (Instagram) where this same seller also sells his items, and where at one point he was selling this same sneakers in both sizes, 8 US and 9 US, undoubtedly showing the same distinctive black safety tags the sneakers I received came with, made me conclude that it was the actual seller who, knowingly and intentionally, "unloaded" the mismatched pair of sneakers on me, by selling them for a hefty price of $425.  

This seller was counting on an oversight during the inspection by the authenticating partner, for his size-mismatched pair of sneakers to pass the authentication process, and that's exactly what happened.  Boy, HE GOT LUCKY!!!

In my judgement, the authenticator's error exposed also a serious oversight---perhaps the most elemental in the business of selling shoes: to check first that the sizes match---which is a clear indication that the Authenticity Guarantee program put in place by Ebay has a lot to correct and improve. 

I was extremely disappointed that, when I first brought the problem to Ebay's attention, documented with clear comments and numerous photos of the item I had just received, the case was closed with an unfavorable outcome for me.  It was only when I appealed the decision that Ebay reversed course and resolved the case in my favor.  

Considering this was my single worst experience on Ebay in more than 20 years, I proceeded to leave NEGATIVE feedback (for the first time ever!) for seller, with the following comments:

"HORRIBLE BUYING EXPERIENCE! Purchased item in SIZE 9. Knowingly & intentionally seller shipped to me a MISMATCHED PAIR (Right-8/Left-9)--a fact proven by the safety tags both shoes came with, which are also shown on listing photos. Curiously, item "PASSED" "authenticity" check (boy, you got lucky!), exposing a serious oversight by the authenticator. Ebay has admitted the error & refunded my payment in full. Very disappointed with seller's DISHONESTY, for failing to recognize this & rectify it."  

I'm very appreciate that in the end Ebay changed the outcome of the case and sent me a full refund of my payment.  However, I AM EXTREMELY DISAPPOINTED that the NEGATIVE FEEDBACK I left for the seller was REMOVED (upon his requests, I guess).  WHY?  It was well-deserved and it was also my injured-party impact statement.  By removing it, somehow I feel that Ebay has left me "voiceless".

If you ever find yourself in a similar situation, that you purchased a pair of shoes and the sizes were mismatched, make sure to immediately take lots of clear pictures of the size tags, shoe box label etc., backing up your case.  Even if there was no return available for the shoes you purchased, make sure to make a return request from the order page.  Very important:  on the return request page, attach as many pictures as possible showing the issue.  
Like it happened to me, first you'll probably get a denial, because the transaction is considered final sale, when it passes authentication and the seller does not accept returns.  However, Ebay will give you the option to appeal their initial decision. Do so.  Follow the appropriate links to email your appeal and explain, in very clear terms, the issue at hand.
In turn you will get a reply from customerhelp@ebay.com with further instructions and a weblink to upload the pictures documenting the mismatch.  Be very careful following the instructions on the email.
I'm certain that, as it happened in my case, that your claim will be reviewed and the outcome resolved in your favor.
With my own case I learned that, when you receive an item that passed authentication in error, and the item was listed as a final sale, apparently Ebay cannot require the seller to accept the return but, you will get a refund of your payment, which comes from Ebay, not the seller.  Additionally, Ebay does not need you to return the mismatched shoes. 

If for whatever reason the appeal is NOT favorable for you, you can always contact PayPal (if you made payment through them) and file a claim. Or you can contact your credit card and they will fight the case for you.  In the end, you will prevail because, think about it?, if you receive a pair of shoes of different sizes, that's basically the ultimate example of "NOT AS DESCRIBED".  Good luck!

Message 1 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

Re: MISMATCHED Sneakers passing AUTHENTICATION!!!

@csgdesigns wrote:
it was the actual seller who, knowingly and intentionally, "unloaded" the mismatched pair of sneakers on me, by selling them for a hefty price of $425.  

This seller was counting on an oversight during the inspection by the authenticating partner, for his size-mismatched pair of sneakers to pass the authentication process, and that's exactly what happened.  Boy, HE GOT LUCKY!!!

I learned that, when you receive an item that passed authentication in error, and the item was listed as a final sale, apparently Ebay cannot require the seller to accept the return

but, you will get a refund of your payment, which comes from Ebay, not the seller.  

If for whatever reason the appeal is NOT favorable for you, you can always contact PayPal (if you made payment through them) and file a claim. Or you can contact your credit card and they will fight the case for you. 

In your case, the seller has no knowledge that eBay gave you a courtesy refund, and ultimately, your seller got away.

To ensure that the refund comes from the seller, rather than covered by eBay instead, always go directly to your card issuer with that evidence to file a "NOT AS DESCRIBED" chargeback, so that the seller pays for the refund.

Message 2 of 14
latest reply

Ebay offers sellers protections on some things when the authenticity program is sued and the item passed inspection.

Clearly the authentication program failed in this case.  So ebay had to remove the feedback. Had the Authenticators caught the error the item would have been sent back to the seller and you would have been refunded.

For some......It seems wisdom has been chasing you, but you have always been faster.
Message 3 of 14
latest reply

@ma-647837 wrote:

@csgdesigns wrote:

In your case, the seller has no knowledge that eBay gave you a courtesy refund, and ultimately, your seller got away.

To ensure that the refund comes from the seller, rather than covered by eBay instead, always go directly to your card issuer with that evidence to file a "NOT AS DESCRIBED" chargeback, so that the seller pays for the refund.

The problem with this advice is that once a case is opened with a card issuer or Paypal there is no recourse through eBay. So if the chargeback fails, you're out your money. It's always better to keep as many avenues for reimbursement open as possible. 

The negative feedback was removed because the case was initially found in favor of the seller. When that happens, no feedback can be left.

Message 4 of 14
latest reply

If you mention a case was involved in feedback, it will be removed. 

Sorry this happened to you. Glad you were able to get your money back. 

But, don’t be so sure the seller is at fault. If he sold both sizes…it is possible they mixed up the shoes during authentication process. 

Happy New Year!

Message 5 of 14
latest reply

I'm 100% sure that seller is at fault and that he, knowingly and intentionally, sold me a pair of mismatched sneakers. At one point, I know for a fact that we was selling both sizes, 8 & 9.  Perhaps he carelessly mixed up the sizes when he sold the size 8 or maybe the pair in the box labeled size 9 he sold me came mixed up from Nike.  Whatever it was, he was determined not to get stuck with the mixed up pair and tried to sell them.  He took a chance hoping that the mismatched sneakers would pass authentication.   And if he got caught he probably thought that he could have always claimed that it was an innocent oversight but, luckily for him, because the package with the pair he sold me reached the authenticating partner in Astoria, Queens, NYC (which I assume is a very busy place) the afternoon of Christmas Eve,  when everybody is perhaps anxious about going home early for the holidays, whoever examined  them overlooked the size labels inside each sneaker and they ended up passing.

When I assert, without a doubt, that the mismatched sneakers came from seller is because the sneakers I received, EACH shoe has a distinctive black safety tag with the word KREAM on one side, which was not affixed by Ebay.  Those tags were put on the shoes by him.  Further detailed examination of the pictures he posted on the listing show the same safety tag on the sneakers. 

FYI, I've been on this platform for 21 years and whenever I sell shoes, I send them out with my own safety tags, which can only be removed with a cutter and cannot be reattached, just to make sure that if for whatever reason they come back to me, I know that they are the same shoes I sent out. 

In addition to all that, seller's demeanor (and disrespectful tone) when I brought (in a nice, non-accusatory manner) this issue to his attention, was very telling to me.  He knew that he got away with "murder" in this case and he was not going to back down. 

I knew, from the very beginning, that in the end I would prevail.  I ended up getting my money back and also a pair of mismatched Jordan x J Jalvin sneakers.  What somehow bothers me the most is the fact that he got to keep the $425 and the negative feedback removed from his feedback.

I understand the logic behind the feedback removal by Ebay but, it sucks! 

Happy New Year to you too! 

Message 6 of 14
latest reply

i get that you are upset, but now you have both the item and the money. even if the shoes are mismatched, it sounds to me like you came out ahead in this one. even if the value is vastly less because of being mismatched, they still hold significant value and you can just sell separately to get more money.

Message 7 of 14
latest reply

Quite the claim to make.......... Could be the Authenticators mucked up the repacking, how could a seller possibly feel comfortable by  ''counting on an oversight'' 

If eBay stepped in and refunded, I am pretty sure they did so because nothing could be proven against the seller.

I have been imported from Australia and this is my posting ID
Message 8 of 14
latest reply

Apparently, you did NOT read my response to mspirit57.  Here's why I know that this seller knew what he was doing:

"When I assert, without a doubt, that the mismatched sneakers came from seller is because the sneakers I received, EACH shoe has a distinctive black safety tag with the word KREAM on one side, which was not affixed by Ebay.  Those tags were put on the shoes by him.  Further detailed examination of the pictures he posted on the listing show the same safety tag on the sneakers."

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg5.jpg6.jpg7.jpg

Message 9 of 14
latest reply

Okay, still don't see the point in a seller doing this to themselves but there you go

I have been imported from Australia and this is my posting ID
Message 10 of 14
latest reply

That's not the point.  I know that I'm not at a material loss here.  What's more important to me (and to others, I assume ) is:  How can I feel comfortable the next the time I purchase another item covered by Ebay Authenticity Guarantee program, that I will receive EXACTLY what I purchased?  The failure of the authenticator in this case is just ELEMENTAL! 

To me, it's also very important that those that act with dishonesty get exposed and receive appropriate correction. 

Do you think that this is the first time this seller acted in such a dishonest way?  Here's his response when I brought this issue to his attention:

"You are “evidently” lying. I owned those sneakers before sending it out to you. I checked those sneakers before shipping them out to you. They passed authenticator. So both the authenticator and I saw a legit “matched” pairs of sneakers. Who do you think is lying? Nice try though."

He's accusing me of lying and of trying to trick him--go figure!--just because he got damned lucky and the sneakers passed authentication. Here are some pics of the mismatched sneakers I received, which I shared with him. You be the judge of who's lying.

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg

Message 11 of 14
latest reply

This has come up a number of times before. They don't seem to check for things like that. Just that it's the real brand name.  However, they do claim they do.....

Message 12 of 14
latest reply

I know....they tend to forget "Selling Shoes 1.0":  "Always check for size labels inside the shoes to make sure they match! LOL

Message 13 of 14
latest reply

Those who know me always say that I am a Pollyanna, that I never see the "other side" of some folks out there, that I always give others the benefit of the doubt. Still... 

You don't see an unscrupulous seller screwing someone for $425, instead of looking at a pair of mismatched sneakers in his closet?  I guess you'll never see it. LOL.

Message 14 of 14
latest reply