cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MISLEADING SEARCH RESULTS

Has anyone else noticed just how misleading and difficult the search results are ... and how horridly lax eBay has become with Sellers and their incredibly false listing titles/descriptions?   I am beyond disgusted and profoundly disappointed in what eBay has become - trying to compete with Amazon instead of marketing the real elements of what it began as.... a place for everyone and the 'unique.' 

If you search for an antique or a vintage item... they allow sellers to use those terms whether or not it is 'true' - thus, it takes far more time and renders far fewer results that what it used to. Ebay no longer monitors ANYTHING - AND has really lost the ticket on searches - because this new one eliminates far more than it 'finds' - no one asked them to 'filter the searches'  - I surely did not - did you?  It takes far longer and is very frustrating - to the point that I will NEVER again say eBay is better than Amazon - because it isn't anymore.  Some times I get so frustrated that I just don't buy!  I never buy on Amazon - the format is horrible for searching.

This search engine is probably why so many sellers comment on the lack of  sales now on ebay - I know my sales are down to almost nothing - listing anything has become a joke - I can rarely even find 'my listings' because of how they have manipulated the searches.

So ... to my point - compounding all of this  - I HATE THIS NEW SEARCH ENGINE...  I guess that make my case for my feelings about eBay after all these years with 2 sites ....  along with how they just don't care and allow 'false' advertising in listing titles/descriptions.  They have defeated their own purpose.

Is this just me ...  or does anyone else share these thoughts? 

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Re: MISLEADING SEARCH RESULTS

As a long-time seller, I've been called out by eBay on listing title words that I thought were perfectly OK because they were Accurate.  eBay doesn't as a practice allow sellers to do thinkgs to twist search results. 

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

I understand you are frustrated with search.  Ebay does have a search manipulation and keyword spamming policy that sellers must adher to.  Their listings can be removed if they do not comply.

Having said that, not everything may be flagged and removed.

There is abuse with vintage as a term that is not always applicable to the listing.

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

@leavesofmemory,

"If you search for an antique or a vintage item... they allow sellers to use those terms whether or not it is 'true' - thus, it takes far more time and renders far fewer results that what it used to".

Ever since the beginning of ebay, there has been discussions between what qualifies as vintage and what qualifies as antique.  The generally accepted time frames are at least 25 years old for Vintage and 100 years old for Antiques.  There are some allowable variations, but for the most part those are the standards.  eBay has no way to verify all of the listings listed as Vintage or Antique, there are just too many items that are listed using those terms. Many listed by people who do not know the difference.  eBay's search may include the terms, but often listings that do not have those words in the title are displayed as well. 

Even in the early days, terms such as Vintage, Antique, Retro, Mid Century, Art Deco and in one category I used to shop in on ebay, "Theater Used" for movie posters/paper.   I do not know how many times I saw that term used, but the dimensions given for the items told me they were copies not original movie paper items. 

While it is not unusual for Vintage items to still be listed as "New or New Old Stock etc.." I tend read whole descriptions and check photos carefully. Even manufacturers sometimes add to the confussion, when they re-relase true Vintage items using the retro packaging. 

An example is vintage plastic model kits from the 50s early 60s.  Several of the top manufacturers re-released some of their kits in the 90s or the first few years of this century as 50 year anniversary items. They did that using the original box art, even with the original MPN, and price point on the boxes.  (price points started disappearing in the early/mid 60s). Some had UPC codes not used back in the day.  Many sellers who are inexperienced in that category listed those as being true vintage items, but they were shrink wrapped, and did not come in "hard boxes". Under company logos were the original release year, but if  If they took good enough photos there is in very fine print on one of the long side of the box Copyright 1994 company name. in even smaller lettering than that.

Because of the above, sometimes rather than Vintage/Antique using other terms might keep some listings out Edwardian, Mid century, Baroque etc.  Also searching for a chest of drawers rather than a dresser helps if there is a Mfr. stamp or tag on the item.

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 4 of 6
latest reply

I think the problem has gotten worse with the integration of the image search function. I recently purchased an antique German composition horse toy. Wish I could post a picture.https://www.ebay.com/itm/Decorative-Composition-Horse-Figurine-/132724515437
For some reason the search sees it as a taxidermy horse. I am being bombarded with taxidermy of Bobcats and other unfortunate animals. These are quite possibly the last items I would be interested in and pretty offensive to me.
Message 5 of 6
latest reply

Thank you - your response is THE ONLY one applicable to my complaint. The search engine is lousy. We have 2 sites - with over 4500 sales - over the span of 18 years [and with 35 years of being antique dealers / nomenclature is not the issue] - - why people respond with the obvious is beyond me. Your response provides more info on this search engine which does not adequately 'search' - and that is the complaint... to me [specifically] it is not at all efficient for searching.
Message 6 of 6
latest reply