cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just told by ebay support that auction timing can be off as much as 30 seconds - stinks if you snipe

ebay member since 98 and this is a new one - used the moble app, bid with 10 seconds left and got a message "Item not available" - as I watched the auction timer time out (there were several seconds left when I got that message).  Auction was won with one bid, lower than my max bid.

Asked ebay "what the heck" - they said that their tech team said that auction delays can be up to 30 seconds and suggested I bid earlier.

Isn't this sort of a big issue?

Thanks,

Will

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Re: Just told by ebay support that auction timing can be off as much as 30 seconds - stinks if you s

Do NOT use the mobile app to bid or do anything important.

Even on the website the countdown is not an accurate measure of how much time you have to submit a bid for it to be timely.  The bid (data sent when you click the confirm button) must be received and timestamped at eBay's servers before the end of the last second of the auction.  The countdown is a script that runs on your device that calls for updates about every 3 seconds (and not all updates are succesful) and uses the "time left" returned by eBay (which is accurate as of the time eBay processes your request) to use your device's clock to count down from that.  So it's slow by the lag between eBay and your device's display AND slow in that there's a lag between that display, your nervous system, your device, your network and ISP, and the internet back to Salt Lake City and to an eBay server and in that server to give the timestamp.  

There used to be a static time left display on the Bid History Page that one could use to synch a local clock taking into account the various lag times, but it is now dynamic (i.e. uses the script to make it a countdown).  To snipe an important item it is best to use one or more snipe services instead of or as a backup to trying to guess how much of a buffer you need on the countdown.

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

Re: Just told by ebay support that auction timing can be off as much as 30 seconds - stinks if you s

The problem isn't eBay's clock; it's the connection betwen your computer and eBay.  The countdown display can be out of sync by quite a bit.

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

Correction (sorry) NOT mobile app but mobile site (m.ebay.com).

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

Not sure why my comuter clock would matter as ebay is using their master clock for everything and polling many times a second at that.

If this is correct then people are missing out on maximizing their sale price as they did in my case - I think that's sort of a big deal.

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

I can accept the compounded lag hypothesis (but am not sure why ebay would use any localized processes or time-stamps). Anyway, if true than either something in the ebay infrastructure is starting to crack or I am one heck of a lucky guy (and should go play the lottery).

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

The delay is in the page that's on your computer. The countdown is not based on feed directly from eBay, it can be paused and delayed  For instance, if you close a window and re-open it.  Here are two windows with the same auction showing countdown times 6 seconds apart.

Screen Shot 2018-02-09 at 4.04.10 PM.png

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

wrote:

I can accept the compounded lag hypothesis (but am not sure why ebay would use any localized processes or time-stamps). Anyway, if true than either something in the ebay infrastructure is starting to crack or I am one heck of a lucky guy (and should go play the lottery).

eBay uses localized processes so they won’t have the overhead of updating millions of computer screens every second just to run a countdown.

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

MyBidder Auction sniper...thats what iv'e used for years its on the android market. never failed to get a bet in unless I underbid.Usually set to bid in the last 3 seconds.
Message 9 of 11
latest reply

they also have a version for windows computer
Message 10 of 11
latest reply

Thanks for the info, I still don't know why the clocks weren't synced. I usually use a sniping app but was trying to do it 'real time'.

Best,

Will

Message 11 of 11
latest reply