cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is this a SCAM???

So I just won an auction and got a really good deal on a used computer, however, there was something fishy about the listing. The specs of the PC were completely different when looking at the Item specifics section and the Item description from the seller. In the Item description from the seller, it stated that this computer had an i7 10700 and 32gb of RAM, however, when I looked to the Item specifics section, it said that this computer had an i3 10th generation and 8gb of RAM. So now I'm really confused. BUT, it does say in the title of the product "32GB RAM!", so that leads me to believe that the Item description from the seller section was right. I did contact the seller (multiple times!) about this, but I never got a response. So now I'm in a predicament, do I go through and purchase the PC and hope that it has the right specs, or do I wait for the seller to hopefully respond? Either way, its still suspicious that there were two completely different specs for the SAME computer. Just one more thing, it also says no returns, to add to the suspiciousness. Tell me what you think! Link: https://www.ebay.com/itm/276288771282

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Is this a SCAM???

@daniel_marc 

If you are suspicious of the specs not matching the item, move on to a different seller, especially if the seller is unresponsive. 

The fact that the seller has "No Returns" in the listing is trumped by the eBay Money Back Guarantee.  If the item you receive is Not as Described in the listing, you are covered.

One of the keys is knowing how to buy. Your research of the listing shows you are on the right track as a buyer. 

Don't forget to vet the seller thru feedback, longevity, location, estimated delivery dates etc.

Good luck.

Posting ID
Message 2 of 10
latest reply

Is this a SCAM???

So apparently from your first sentence you already won this. So your question "do I go through and purchase the PC and hope that it has the right specs, or do I wait for the seller to hopefully respond" is now completely moot. You have purchased the PC. You should never make a purchase when you have questions and the seller won't respond.

You have three options now: 1) Ask the seller to cancel. Keep in mind, however, they are in no way obligated to do so. 2) Just don't pay, which will probably earn you an unpaid item strike. One strike won't hurt you; two can get you blocked by a great many sellers. 3) Pay, knowing your purchase is protected by eBay's Money Back Guarantee, which trumps the seller's no returns policy. If the PC arrives and isn't as described you can open an "item not as described" return. Ebay will send a return label and force the return.

It's possible the seller just copied an old listing and neglected to change the specifics. But it's a bit troublesome that the seller has no feedback in the last 12 months. But again, the time to have asked all these questions is before you made the purchase, not after.

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

Is this a SCAM???

@daniel_marc wrote:

So I just won an auction and got a really good deal on a used computer, however, there was something fishy about the listing. The specs of the PC were completely different when looking at the Item specifics section and the Item description from the seller. In the Item description from the seller, it stated that this computer had an i7 10700 and 32gb of RAM, however, when I looked to the Item specifics section, it said that this computer had an i3 10th generation and 8gb of RAM. So now I'm really confused. BUT, it does say in the title of the product "32GB RAM!", so that leads me to believe that the Item description from the seller section was right. I did contact the seller (multiple times!) about this, but I never got a response. So now I'm in a predicament, do I go through and purchase the PC and hope that it has the right specs, or do I wait for the seller to hopefully respond? Either way, its still suspicious that there were two completely different specs for the SAME computer. Just one more thing, it also says no returns, to add to the suspiciousness. Tell me what you think! Link: https://www.ebay.com/itm/276288771282

Why did you buy from this listing with so many discrepancies?

You are responsible for following through at this point.

For some......It seems wisdom has been chasing you, but you have always been faster.
Message 4 of 10
latest reply

Is this a SCAM???

The seller has been registered since 2004 and has over 100,000 feedback and over 1 million items sold, so it is unlikely that this is some sort of scam or a hijacked account.

Most likely a high volume seller mixed up some specs or confused two different machines rather than some intentional act of deception.

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

Is this a SCAM???

@eburtonlab wrote:

The seller has been registered since 2004 and has over 100,000 feedback and over 1 million items sold, so it is unlikely that this is some sort of scam or a hijacked account.

Most likely a high volume seller mixed up some specs or confused two different machines rather than some intentional act of deception.

I think you're looking at the "we found something similar" listing eBay shows when you go to a completed listing. You have to follow the "see original listing" link on that page. The seller of the sold item has a feedback score of 30, none of it in the last 12 months.

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

Is this a SCAM???

You can't lose any item not as described case if you choose to open one.

If an i3 arrives it's not an i7, and if an i7 arrives it's not an i3.

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

Is this a SCAM???

The seller of the sold item has a feedback score of 30, none of it in the last 12 months.

@kathiec 

Good catch.  It appears to have been dormant longer than that.  eBay sure does not make it easy to find with all the links to feedback either missing or dead.  Seen quite a few of these type lately. 

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

Is this a SCAM???

Unfortunately, it appears that the OP has already made the purchase and is having doubts afterwards.

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

Is this a SCAM???

I think you're looking at the "we found something similar" listing eBay shows when you go to a completed listing.

Yes, good catch -- you are correct. I was indeed looking at the wrong listing.

The actual seller account for the OP's transaction has considerably less feedback, and has not left any feedback in more than five years. The seller has many recent sales, but no feedback for recent sales.

Message 10 of 10
latest reply