cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there any way to prevent dealers from using the same photo for diferent goods at a diferent price

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Is there any way to prevent dealers from using the same photo for diferent goods at a diferent price

No, but in most cases it is not in their best interest to do so. Their are cases  where it does not matter like a 4 ft i phone cord v's an 8 ft cord but even then as a seller I would use a photo of the item 

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

No you can not prevent dealers from using the same photo BUT you can prevent yourself from buying from sellers that use stock photos instead of actual photos of the items they are selling.

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

I am talking about sterling silver pens.
Message 4 of 9
latest reply

NO

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

I'm not quite understanding what you are trying to say, OP.  Are you saying that a seller is using the photo of a different item than the one they are selling?  I'm sure this would result in quite a few SNAD disputes.

Of course, with eBay's pushing of the use of their catalog scheme, it is possible that photos of packaging and models that have been updated by the manufacturer may not match precisely.  Frankly, it would seem to be a flaw in eBay's services if this were the case.

Oh!  Sellers are free to ask whatever they wish for their goods.

"It is an intelligent man that is aware of his own ignorance."
Message 6 of 9
latest reply

@jeshiva,

"Is there any way to prevent dealers from using the same photo for diferent goods at a diferent price...  I am talking about sterling silver pens".

So what you are saying is seller(s) are listing 2 or more different styles of "Cross pens" for example, but using stock photo(s) of one pen, for more than one style? 

If that is so, either the seller accidentally added the wrong photo(s) to the listing, or possibly used a template and forgot to change the photo(s) Or, they are certifiable in terms of selling on ebay. Too many people these days do not go further than looking at photos before buying, and as 7606dennis wrote, that would lead to a lot of Significantly Not As Described (SNAD) disputes being filed. If the seller had enough defects for items not as described, they would not last long on the site.

The exception would possibly be chinese sellers, who ebay lets get away with a lot of listing infractions, and most likely the pens would be plated and not sterling as well.

It doesn't really matter what the reason for using the same photo(s) mistake or intentional, do not buy from a seller who does that. 

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 7 of 9
latest reply

Sadly, no.  But you can do your buyer's due diligence and make an informed decision not to buy if you feel what you will get would be questionable.

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

In any case, the photo must match the item being sold. If it doesn't, they open themselves up for disputes or returns. 

If the item is used, it should carry its own actual photo. If it is new, stock photos will work just fine.

Message 9 of 9
latest reply