cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it usual for Post Office to not scan packages?

Hello, I ordered an item from a seller on the 21st of January. A label was created on the 22nd. It is now the 28th and the tracking only results in this:

January 22, 2020, 9:33 pm
Shipping Label Created, USPS Awaiting Item
FORT WORTH, TX 76137 
A shipping label has been prepared for your item at 9:33 pm on January 22, 2020 in FORT WORTH, TX 76137. This does not indicate receipt by the USPS or the actual mailing date.

I messaged the seller and she replied with this: 

You must not get many packages from the post office, the post office totally SUX! I have 5 stores on ebay that I ship out everything thru the post office, as of saturday night about 40 packages had no scan at all, 4 packages that had been scanned were sent to the wrong state, as of sunday about 30 of them had there 1st scan. I have constantly complained at the post office that my packages have are not getting scanned at all when I drop them off and nobody cares. it is an every week thing with me and realy frustrating, you can not put a search on a pckage that has not beem scanned, I have tried, and when u put a search on one that has been scanned, they jhave the exact info that you get on the tracking number. sorry.”

What do you guys think is going on? This is unusual behavior from the Post Office and the Seller.

Message 1 of 24
latest reply
23 REPLIES 23

Re: Is it usual for Post Office to not scan packages?

@dinger2013  I will be asking sellers on items I’m interested in, on what their shipping practices are before I purchase 

and I would tell you "I ship within the handling time shown on my listings and if it ships Priority, USPS claims 2-3 days, and if First Class USPS claims 2-7 days. Per USPS website, tracking is NOT real time and like all shipping entities, there can be shipping delays"

Not sure how that would help you- but if anyone tells you something different- they are either uninformed or lying just to get your business. 

Message 16 of 24
latest reply

@dinger2013 wrote:

I think I’ve found a solution to this. Not the current problem but the problem overall. I will be asking sellers on items I’m interested in, on what their shipping practices are before I purchase. That will determine if I choose to buy from them.

What good is that going to do? What do you mean by "what their shipping practices are?"

Message 17 of 24
latest reply

It will be a lot of help. Better than not knowing what is going on with their shipping practices beforehand. It’ll save me a lot of problems. I don’t like to be fooled twice, do you?

I will be asking if they are doing the pre-shipment label and just drop off their packages (without really knowing if they are getting shipped or not.) Personally, I’m not going for that anymore. I guess I’ll also have to ask how reliable is the Post Office they use. 

Message 18 of 24
latest reply

A 'pre-shipment' label just means the label was printed- at the office or home using ebay labels, as are all sellers encouraged to do- before taking or having USPS pick up the package- which is typically done the following day. 

You are looking at probably .001 % of sellers that actually wait in line at the post office to purchase a label and then have it scanned. Then they have to return home/office and input the tracking number in the ebay system- manually.

Asking what the local USPS is like- well, it's like any other gov't run type office- win some, lose some- it's day to day, person to person. I've shipped over 10,000 packages since 11' and haven't had one 'not arrive'. Tracking is probably 95% good, but there are 5% that drift a bit. 

Message 19 of 24
latest reply

God forbid that somebody has to do a little work to make money. Standing in a line is way easier than Ironworking.

You may not have many undelivered packages, but this person I bought from says she has problems with the Post Office all the time. It could be avoided with a little work. When I sell on EBay or Facebook or anything I always take it to the Post Office boxed up already with the address ready and there are no amazingly long lines everyone keeps saying there is, so I just go to the counter and have them ship my stuff. Takes like 5 min to get it weighed and to figure out the price of where it’s going. 

Message 20 of 24
latest reply

The is no such thing as a pre shipment label and do not be surprised if many a seller has no interest in going into detail w you as to their shipment practices.You may find yourself blocked by sellers too

All you need to do is check the estimated delivery date on the order-if it not delivered by then or soon there after file a not received case w buyer protection

You can also check sellers feedback and rating to see if he ships quickly

Remember Sellers are not required to mark as shipped,use tracking or communicate just ship as described(it's good business but not required...) and can set handling times for as long as they want.

This is a user to user board not eBay employees.
----------------------------------------------------------------
When people show you who they are, believe them
Message 21 of 24
latest reply

Well if they block me for asking questions or not reply then they won’t be getting my money. 

Message 22 of 24
latest reply

But ..all USPS offices are part of the same mailing system,not independent. The only way I've ever gotten around what could or could not go wrong with them,shipping or receiving,is to use a different carrier service. Which always seems to cost more, and makes the purchase/mailing more expensive overall. You might have better luck that way,especially if you need something by a set date?

Message 23 of 24
latest reply

@dinger2013  God forbid that somebody has to do a little work to make money. Standing in a line is way easier than Ironworking. You may not have many undelivered packages, but this person I bought from says she has problems with the Post Office all the time. It could be avoided with a little work. When I sell on EBay or Facebook or anything I always take it to the Post Office boxed up already with the address ready and there are no amazingly long lines everyone keeps saying there is, so I just go to the counter and have them ship my stuff. Takes like 5 min to get it weighed and to figure out the price of where it’s going.

I have a full item 60hr week job, construction since 78' and then an additional 1-3 hrs a day running this business, that I actually have to work every time someone orders as I build my items,  to order, as I don't just 'resell' items and put em' in a box. I'm gone from 6am to 6pm, so I have USPS pick up. 

I use systems given today, so printing labels on ebay saves time and money not having to input tracking as well as handwriting labels etc.. (after all, it isn't 1975 anymore)… and in SoCal there's a line to get in line... everywhere. 

The person you bought from has had no issues with the PO, they just trying to push the blame elsewhere if they've had more than a .001% issue ratio. I ship from one of the busiest places on earth, LA County CA shipping to 6 continents and have had 2 issues in 9 years. 

Message 24 of 24
latest reply