cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it normal for every package to take 3+ weeks?

I know there was a big package crunch in covid times, but it's 2023 and lately every single auction I win is taking 3 weeks or more to arrive. Different sellers and they always ship on time, so it's all on the USPS.

The ebay estimated delivery date is always wrong, every package ends up late.

I want to vent but I don't see the point in bugging sellers because they ship on time with tracking numbers. It's not always packages being delayed with no updates to tracking. It's just like 10 days to go across half of California kind of thing.

Is it just me or is this normal? It makes me want to spend the extra money to order stuff on Amazon and get it within a week via UPS or FedEx.

Message 1 of 20
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: Is it normal for every package to take 3+ weeks?

it's because you live in Hawaii like I do. 3 weeks is actually fast. 

View Best Answer in original post

Message 10 of 20
latest reply
19 REPLIES 19

An estimate is just that, an estimate.

No one can control weather issues or the USPS.

Not even UPS or FedEx is on time all the time.

Amazon has been hit and miss lately too.

I never order online anything that I have to have today.... or count on an estimate.

There are some things we cant control. 

If im in that big of a hurry I go to the store and pick it up.

klhmdg  •  Volunteer Community Mentor
Message 2 of 20
latest reply

Most of the packages that I have shipped in the past several months have arrived in a timely manner. Under 1 week, so no, 3+ weeks is not normal.

Message 3 of 20
latest reply

3 weeks for domestic packages is not  normal.

I have received international shipments in less time than that. 

Granted, there are some routes and distribution centers that are more problematic than others, and after one or two bad experiences I tend to steer clear of those areas should I need anything delivered sooner than later.

But no… 3 weeks is not normal.

Message 4 of 20
latest reply

Also, thank you for being mindful not to bug sellers and that in- route shipping issues aren’t within their control. Many buyers tend to overlook/ forget that…👍🏻

Message 5 of 20
latest reply

Actually, stuff I ordered from China arrived in two weeks, yet packages from a few states over through eBay are constantly taking 3-4 weeks.

What's going on here, and can I do anything about it?

Message 6 of 20
latest reply

Your Completed listing indicates that you live in Hawaii. Some of the delay might be because of sellers using ground transportation such as USPS Ground Advantage, which can take a long time in transit on a truck or ship. For instance, the listing for your recent purchase of 1500 MTG cards offers Ground Advantage shipping.  If you are in a hurry, you can ask sellers to upgrade to Priority Mail, and of course offer to pay the difference in cost which sometimes is very little.

Message 7 of 20
latest reply

@jacriv_67 wrote:

Actually, stuff I ordered from China arrived in two weeks, yet packages from a few states over through eBay are constantly taking 3-4 weeks.

What's going on here, and can I do anything about it?

It’s all about the luck of the draw, unfortunately. Depending on what route ( if more congested than others ) and through what depots( if more busy than others) and by what transportation means ( if less available during peak periods) , your items may be just hitting that unlucky trifecta.

Not much to do on your end, unfortunately, than to maybe try sourcing items from different sellers if you’re finding that some are in problem areas where holdups seem to be worst.

Message 8 of 20
latest reply

Seeing standard delivery times for everything I check tracking on. 2 to 5 business days for UPS Ground and USPS GA and Priority. Shipping out of the DFW area might be an advantage as being sort of centrally located. 

Posting ID
Message 9 of 20
latest reply

Message 10 of 20
latest reply

@lakefor94 wrote:

Seeing standard delivery times for everything I check tracking on. 2 to 5 business days for UPS Ground and USPS GA and Priority. Shipping out of the DFW area might be an advantage as being sort of centrally located. 

Yeah, most of my GA packages so far have averaged around 2-4 days despite me being all the way on the East Coast. I just had one that went to CA in two days.

Message 11 of 20
latest reply

Most of my packages are Media Mail and are delivered within 7 calendar days in the continental US. Sometimes in just two or three days for closer destinations.

MM gets a bad rap, but it's considerably faster than it used to be. If it's still the benchmark for slow delivery, USPS is doing pretty good across all classes of mail.

Message 12 of 20
latest reply

I had a customer purchased on 9/5/23 and it arrived today 9/23. This was the longest i have had but there has been a couple that took 8 or 9 days to arrive. I ship 24 hours after payment received and it does not matter. The buyer gets frustrated and dings my stars for shipping time. I do not have any answers but sellers should not be rated on ship time.

Message 13 of 20
latest reply

@ryanrobyn wrote:

USPS Priority from the DFW area is fast to Hawaii.  

One time I shipped on a Saturday and package was delivered Monday. Most of the time, Priority is 2 business days due to the direct air travel. 

Posting ID
Message 14 of 20
latest reply

Thanks, next time I win an auction I will ask if they can try using Priority (offering to pay more in shipping).

I was reviewing all of my purchases and it does seem like Ground Advantage usually gets stuck in the CA->Honolulu->My Island portion. It looks like everything makes it from somewhere in the US to CA within 7 days.

Message 15 of 20
latest reply