cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Impatient seller cancels my order before the suggested time limit

Purchased a collectible item from a seller who states to pay within 48 hour window. Seller then sends an email they can’t ship unless I pay & follows up with a [triggered?] pay reminder (approx 24 hrs at this point). 
Received a notification short while later that the order was cancelled! Seller states that the reason to cancel was due to “Buyer requested to cancel”, BUT I NEVER CONTACTED THE SELLER!!

My intent was to purchase the item & seller never waited long enough within the 48 allotted time to allow me to pay!.. contradicting their pay policy!! I was compelled to give negative feedback because of unfair practices inconsistent with eBay guidelines.
It gets better. Seller retaliates through messaging.

Seller implies I gave consent to cancel (unfounded) which goes against their own stipulations & then used inflammatory disgusting language to express their displeasure with a buyer who they deceived!!

How is eBay allowed to condone or allow this type of behavior???!!!

Message 1 of 25
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

eBay can't  force buyers to pay or sellers to ship.

They don't referee he said-she said messages.

Report the seller for saying you requested the cancellation because that was untrue and they said you asked to cancel to avoid a defect.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 3 of 25
latest reply
24 REPLIES 24

Forgot to mention that a buyer left negative feedback due to a cancellation similar to mine!

Message 2 of 25
latest reply

eBay can't  force buyers to pay or sellers to ship.

They don't referee he said-she said messages.

Report the seller for saying you requested the cancellation because that was untrue and they said you asked to cancel to avoid a defect.

Message 3 of 25
latest reply

Some sellers have it set up automatically to cancel a transaction after 4 days of non-payment, as this is the new way that eBay has instructed for sellers.  eBay sends out payment reminders and then it is cancelled.  Not sure what your specific seller did, but these are the general rules.

As a seller, I have never sent a payment reminder and I have non-paying transactions closed by eBay so I don't have to bother with it.  In this day of instantaneous everything, I fail to see how a buyer can't pay within a day or two.    Again, just a general comment on non-payers, not you in particular.  It is a real problem on eBay and sellers get fed up with it!

evry1nositswindy  •  seller since 2013
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 4 of 25
latest reply

Under the old UID system the seller could file a UID if the buyer hadn't paid within 48 hours of making the purchase.  The buyer then was given 96 hours to pay before the seller could close the dispute and get their FVF back and give the buyer an unpaid item strike.  However, the new system lets the seller cancel the transaction for non-payment after four days without having to file a dispute.  Frankly, I think eBay does expect buyers to pay within 48 hours still but the new system seems easier.

If memory serves, the old system allowed sellers to set an automated assistant to open a UID after 48 hrs and close it 96 hrs latter.  The new one simply lets the seller cancel the transaction after 4 days which cuts a full day off the old systems time.  The seller can, Ibelieve, set it up for eBay to do this automatically as well.

It appears that in this case, the seller attempted to prompt the OP to pay and when they didn't canceled the transaction using the buyer's request reason.  Not being privy to the communications between the buyer and seller, it is not possible to determine if something in it may have been interpreted as asking for a cancellation by the seller.  However, by using that reason the buyer was spared an unpaid item strike on their account. 

"It is an intelligent man that is aware of his own ignorance."
Message 5 of 25
latest reply

@evry1nositswindy wrote:

Some sellers have it set up automatically to cancel a transaction after 4 days of non-payment, as this is the new way that eBay has instructed for sellers.  eBay sends out payment reminders and then it is cancelled.  Not sure what your specific seller did, but these are the general rules.

As a seller, I have never sent a payment reminder and I have non-paying transactions closed by eBay so I don't have to bother with it.  In this day of instantaneous everything, I fail to see how a buyer can't pay within a day or two.    Again, just a general comment on non-payers, not you in particular.  It is a real problem on eBay and sellers get fed up with it!

I use to always sent a friendly worded payment reminder under the old system before opening a UID.  Of course, I wasn't as desperate as other sellers to receive payment so I often allowed more time if buyers had given me a reasonable reason to do so.  Of course, the new system isn't quite as confrontational with the seller not having to open a dispute and close it.  That I believe is a good thing, since often buyers were upset, even though they were slow to pay, by having a UID opened against them, rather than simply takin it as a reminder.

Of course, the new system doesn't give them notification to pay within 4 days or else so some habitual slow payers may be caught off guard.  I do believe that the new system allows the seller to determine what day to have eBay cancel the transaction.  I believe it is between five and thirty days.

"It is an intelligent man that is aware of his own ignorance."
Message 6 of 25
latest reply

@7606dennis wrote:

@evry1nositswindy wrote:

I use to always sent a friendly worded payment reminder under the old system before opening a UID.  Of course, I wasn't as desperate as other sellers to receive payment so I often allowed more time if buyers had given me a reasonable reason to do so.  Of course, the new system isn't quite as confrontational with the seller not having to open a dispute and close it.  That I believe is a good thing, since often buyers were upset, even though they were slow to pay, by having a UID opened against them, rather than simply takin it as a reminder.

Of course, the new system doesn't give them notification to pay within 4 days or else so some habitual slow payers may be caught off guard.  I do believe that the new system allows the seller to determine what day to have eBay cancel the transaction.  I believe it is between five and thirty days.

eBay sends payment reminders with the new process.

Capture.PNG

Message 7 of 25
latest reply

Well this seller already received 1 other negative because of the same reason - i did not want to cancel.

Also this seller currently has nothing listed, wondering why.

Message 8 of 25
latest reply

All you can do is report the seller and they will get a defect.

https://www.ebay.com/help/buying/resolving-issues-sellers/report-issue-seller?id=4022&st=3&pos=1&que...

The reason for cancelling and citing ''buyer requested'' has 2 benefits to a seller

1.  No defect on their account

2. Buyer can not leave FB

As to this > Forgot to mention that a buyer left negative feedback due to a cancellation similar to mine!

The seller most likely used a truthful reason to cancel - Damaged / OOS etc so buyer could leave FB - probably they learnt from that situation LOL

I have been imported from Australia and this is my posting ID
Message 9 of 25
latest reply

@dillsdprib,

"Purchased a collectible item from a seller who states to pay within 48 hour window. Seller then sends an email they can’t ship unless I pay & follows up with a [triggered?] pay reminder (approx 24 hrs at this point)".

Obviously a seller is not going to ship unless they receive payment.  The payment reminder was sent by ebay not the seller.  Maybe had you messaged the seller after receiving the payment reminder, telling them when you would be able to pay, they might not have cancelled. 

"My intent was to purchase the item & seller never waited long enough within the 48 allotted time to allow me to pay!.. contradicting their pay policy"!

What was the hold up that didn't allow you to pay within the first 24 hours after winning the item? When were you intending to pay for the item?  You won it on Sunday night and should have been able to pay immediately or on Monday.   They may have felt since you hadn't messaged them concerning a delay,  that you were not going to pay.  They may have thought that no contact, equaled you cancelling.  

"I was compelled to give negative feedback because of unfair practices inconsistent with eBay guidelines".

If you did not pay you should not have been able to leave feedback at all. Did you pay at some point?

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 10 of 25
latest reply

Sometimes, a simple explanation is the right one.  Seller - gasp - wanted to take some time off during the holidays, and he couldn't wait for your payment.  He ended all of his listings so that he could enjoy his vacation in peace.  Your late payment would have been in an issue if he didn't cancel your order, then you decide to pay, and he's not able to ship out your item.  

Message 11 of 25
latest reply

"Obviously a seller is not going to ship unless they receive payment.  The payment reminder was sent by ebay not the seller.  Maybe had you messaged the seller after receiving the payment reminder, telling them when you would be able to pay, they might not have cancelled."

First of all, "King of eBay Almighty", it's not always easier said than done outside of YOUR world! Not ALL situations are the same and not everything is black & white!

The seller stated in their listing that payment is due within 48 HOURS (which is a small window IMHO)! A seller CAN initiate or send out a payment reminder themselves! Yes, [EVERYONE] pretty much knows that payment reminders are AUTOMATICALLY sent out through eBay logarithms and not everyone is condescending, like yourself!!

The time span between the email & the time I arrived home to respond was only 3 hrs. I purchased from this seller before, so I'm familiar with their [hint hint] REMINDER messages to pay. 

"What was the hold up that didn't allow you to pay within the first 24 hours after winning the item? When were you intending to pay for the item?  You won it on Sunday night and should have been able to pay immediately or on Monday.   They may have felt since you hadn't messaged them concerning a delay,  that you were not going to pay.  They may have thought that no contact, equaled you cancelling."

The 'hold up' (and I shouldn't divulge or justify to you) that I left work and went to go check up on my elderly parent!! Does that satisfy your curiosity to know why??!! Priorities come first & I don't text & drive so it wouldn't have been long to reasonably respond whether it's 2, 4, or 8 hours!! ! I already explained I was allowed to pay up to 48 HOURS so why am I supposed to pay in under 24 hrs?? 

You say, "They may have felt.." OR ".. "They may have thought..", but you don't know, do you how they really feel? Maybe they should have waited until the 48 HOURS was up before badgering me & besides, an eBay associate stated to me I have 4 days to pay (see transcript screenshot). Again, an eBay associate said that I had 4 days to pay!!!

If the seller was reasonable to wait long enough for me to respond or pay, retaliating is NOT acceptable & goes against eBay policy & user agreements (in case you didn't know, but I just schooled you)!

"If you did not pay you should not have been able to leave feedback at all. Did you pay at some point?"

What part of EVERYTHING I stated don't you understand??!! What I explained is the truth!  The seller contradicted their own stipulations when they cancelled my order within 48 HOURS! The seller had NO right to cancel the order without my permission because I DID NOT cancel!!...  especially when an eBay associate quotes that a buyer is granted 4 days to pay ..  their rules!!

"Did you pay at some point?" Again, I COULD NOT pay because the seller CANCELLED the order BEFORE I had the chance to pay!

A buyer CAN leave feedback (negative feedback) even if a seller cancels your order!! How? See link below:

http://my.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?MyeBay&CurrentPage=MyeBayFeedback&gbh=1&ssPageName=STRK:ME:LNLK

On the sellers feedback profile, I noticed the seller had canceled an order on a possible sale, so the buyer left the seller negative feedback! The buyer stated: "good evening I did not want you to cancel the purchase I wanted the items and did not want to send them you disappoint me as a seller."!!

I searched how to do it with the eBay Community and DID THE SAME! EBay DOES allow it, in case you weren't aware, so I do not know how you can come on here with unfounded replies!!

Screenshot (73)_LI.jpgScreenshot (74)_LI.jpgThank you!!

Message 12 of 25
latest reply

Correct, buyers cannot force you to pay, or eBay for that matter! I did report them not only for falsifying a canceled order on my behalf, but I reported the seller mainly because they used expletives in retaliation, which is a HUGE NO-NO!!!

Thanks!

Message 13 of 25
latest reply

An ebay associate quoted to me that yes, a buyer has 4 days to pay! The seller gives 48 hours, but when I didn't reply to their anxious ways in a reasonable amount of time, the got impatient & cancelled the order! That's NO way to do business on eBay! 

As a former seller, I too know a buyer may have circumstances and when I 1st started out, I too was impatient.. waiting for that payment to happen, but overtime I had to learn and had to learn to be professional with eBay policy. I noticed also that MANY sellers do not get paid at all, so it's frustrating, especially when you used to lose .30 to PayPal for a non-payment!

Thanks!

Message 14 of 25
latest reply

In a nutshell, the seller anxiously wanted me to pay ASAP! But I wasn't even granted the FULL 48 hours to pay for my item because the seller impatiently tried to get me to pay for the item & when I didn't reply to their email, they retaliated by cancelling my order. 

You, as a buyer, have the right to leave [negative] feedback even AFTER they cancel your order! It IS integrated into the current eBay selling system! The seller made me unhappy by cancelling before I had a chance to pay! An eBay associate quoted to me that actually have 4 days to pay, so the seller contradicted his own stipulations!

After the seller saw my feedback, they wrote an message (via eBay messaging) using expletives in anger in retaliation, so I felt the need to report them!

Thanks!

Message 15 of 25
latest reply