cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

If you won an auction then realized the other bidder was a shill what feedback would you leave?

After winning the auction I noticed there was only one other bidder, there were 5 bids in under 90 seconds three hours before the end and no higher than what was shown, so I looked and the other bidder had no feedback and no history as a buyer. The other bidder bid it up then left it at that, not trying to win it.

What I paid was not really overpriced but on the high side of average.

Message 1 of 22
latest reply
21 REPLIES 21

Re: If you won an auction then realized the other bidder was a shill what feedback would you leave?

@jeffc9265,

" I looked and the other bidder had no feedback and no history as a buyer".

They have received 8 positive feedback, probably for buy it now items, not auction wins. The 0% on their bid history is because they have not received 10 feedback yet. This was probably the first ebay auction they bid on. 

If I had bid on this auction my history would look a bit like theirs.

(feedback 100%)...  I do not sell using this ID so no negatives

Items bid on( last 30 days) 1

Percentage with seller 100% ...  Because I haven't bid on any auctions in the last 30 days.

Number of bids 5  ...  Except that I would only have bid once later than you.

'The other bidder bid it up then left it at that, not trying to win it".

They placed those bids trying to increase their own maximum price, not understanding how automatic bids work. They probably got frustrated by not seeing the price increase after each one. Not knowing that; 

A) bidding against ones self does not increase the price. ...  B) where to look to see their maximum bid.

They were able to bid quickly probably using ebay's suggested automatic bid increases.

Maybe $350 was all they could afford. Maybe they would have bid more if there had been more time to bid after you bid with 13 seconds left. 

"What I paid was not really overpriced but on the high side of average".

Then why are you surprised that others would bid more or less in the Average range?

This is definitely not shill bidding. It is a case of an inexperienced bidder not knowing how to place a Max bid and being out bid in the last seconds.  It is also a case of you misinterpreting the bid history information, which is what 99% of the suspected shill bidding reports turns out to be when we can see bid and bidder histories.

If you leave feedback even hinting that there was shill bidding, and the seller reports it, ebay will remove it.

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 16 of 22
latest reply

Re: If you won an auction then realized the other bidder was a shill what feedback would you leave?

If any bidder/buyer ever pays more than he intended to, isn't that his doing, not the fault of another bidder? 

Message 17 of 22
latest reply

@mudshark61369 wrote: ... They have received 8 positive feedback, probably for buy it now items, not auction wins. The 0% on their bid history is because they have not received 10 feedback yet. This was probably the first ebay auction they bid on. ...

Zero percent feedback means they haven't gotten any feedback in the past 12 months. A new member's feedback percentage shows up as soon as they get their first feedback.

Message 18 of 22
latest reply

Bidding against yourself will raise the bid when there is a reserve, which this auction had, then it will go up to the reserve if the bidder reaches it.

Having a reserve looked like it was scaring off other bidders, most times graphics cards get a lot more bidders.

Message 19 of 22
latest reply

@jeffc9265,

"Bidding against yourself will raise the bid when there is a reserve, which this auction had, then it will go up to the reserve if the bidder reaches it".

Telling us that there was a reserve price would have been an important piece of information.  If the other bidder finally cracked the reserve ceiling, they may have decided it was more than they could afford if another bid came in.  Maybe they found another auction to bid on, hoping for a lower price. Still no indication of the other bidder being a shill.

"Having a reserve looked like it was scaring off other bidders, most times graphics cards get a lot more bidders".

Considering the prices some sellers are asking, having a reserve price, could be part of the reason for few bids. The seller's low number of feedback could be another.  What ever the reason, you got the card on the lower end of trending prices.  Be Happy. 

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 20 of 22
latest reply

@jeffc9265 wrote:

Bidding against yourself will raise the bid when there is a reserve, which this auction had, then it will go up to the reserve if the bidder reaches it.

Having a reserve looked like it was scaring off other bidders, most times graphics cards get a lot more bidders.

No, that's not how bidding works on a Reserve auction.  Bidding "against yourself" will not change the high bid showing.  The auction bidding works just the same as in a non-reserve auction, except that if a bid reaches or surpasses the reserve, then the high bid showing will jump up to meet the reserve price.

I see no evidence that the auction in question had a Reserve.

Message 21 of 22
latest reply

Not so much the lower end of trending prices but high average for that model.

I am done with this, will not leave bad feedback claiming shill bidding.

Whether it arrives in reasonable time and good condition? That will determine the feedback.

Message 22 of 22
latest reply