cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I was charged extra by Fedex - who is to blame eBay or the seller ?

I have bought an item with shipping through "eBay International Shipping". VAT and all shipping charges should have been included in that. Despite this, a few weeks after delivery Fedex has sent me an invoice for VAT and some administrative shipping charges on top of that (total amounting to $44). So in effect I was charged twice for the same thing (VAT and shipping). Now, eBay says it's the seller's fault and the seller says it's up to eBay since they are responsible for shipping here. Who is really at fault here?

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Hi, thanks for your replies guys. Ebay has refunded the extra charge by Fedex in full. I had to upload all the  documents and proof of payment using this form:

https://ocswf.ebay.com/mudcwf?deptName=CollectRemitRefund 

View Best Answer in original post

Message 5 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Hi @md8133x . What was the item number? It would help to see the shipping settings on the actual listing so we could see what's happening with VAT and duties.

Some carriers do charge broker fees.

Tagging in @pjcdn2005 .

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 2 of 5
latest reply

It’s likely that the FedEx fees were for duty and their fees for collecting it.  They wouldn’t charge for shipping again but if they did charge you VAT and you had already paid it through eBay, you should contact eBay to get that back.   It is common to be charged for duty and processing fees on international orders.

If this was through eBay international (EIS) then the seller receives money for shipping within the US and eBay collects the international shipping fees.   They also fill out the international paperwork so if you were double charged for VAT, it is their responsibility to refund you for that portion. 

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

Unless the seller agreed to pay for all VAT, VAT is normally the responsibility of the buyer. The VAT isn't ebay's responsibility when dealing with FEDEX. Weren't you billed for the VAT upon placing the order?

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

Hi, thanks for your replies guys. Ebay has refunded the extra charge by Fedex in full. I had to upload all the  documents and proof of payment using this form:

https://ocswf.ebay.com/mudcwf?deptName=CollectRemitRefund 

Message 5 of 5
latest reply