cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I refuse to make offers or purchases under the new immediate payment system!

Just my opinion.

Under the prior system, (or I suppose when a seller explicitly deselects the immediate payment option) an accepted offer or Buy it Now commitment would 1) add the item to your cart to pay like any other item won 2) allow you to request a total for multiple best offer, BIN, or bid win items from the same seller 3) allow you true freedom of choice in your payment including CC, Paypal, Pay in 4, and Paypal Credit.

Under the new scheme, BO (and BIN) requiring immediate payment eliminates any reasonable functions as follows: 1) accommodate buyers' request or obtain reasonably expected combined shipping 2) permit true payment choice 3) increase fee costs to sellers when shipping multiple items to the same buyer, even if they manually combine shipping through reasonable refunds.

I also hate how buyers have used this excuse to arbitrarily collect exorbitant amounts for shipping because "the system".   Bullsnot.  If I buy 4 items you can put in one box but you charged me 10 each under BO, BIN, or Bid to Win, that's exorbitant and you're taking advantage of the system to shirk your customer for the profits.  And also, I'll blacklist you as a seller to me (I keep a list. Don't get me started on thinking eBay should offer the same blacklist capability for buyers as they do sellers.)

Until this design decision is reversed, or a "best offer for all items added to the cart from the same seller" (like "request total", but with a "total best offer request") I will not make any further offers on items that have removed bidding and are now designed to artificially inflate buyers costs, increase seller profits through shipping costs, remove buyers payment choices, and pad eBay's corporate pockets in collected seller fees from overall higher shipping and handling.  My only exception is if a seller offers free shipping across the board on items I want and I decide not to use Pay in 4 or PayPal credit options at the time of checkout.  But I've removed all my payment methods until I find that unicorn.

Shame on you eBay for not thinking this one through for all the customers (buyers and sellers alike)

Message 1 of 31
latest reply
30 REPLIES 30

Re: I refuse to make offers or purchases under the new immediate payment system!

Okay. Thanks for the info.

Message 2 of 31
latest reply

Re: I refuse to make offers or purchases under the new immediate payment system!

Correction: I also hate how ^ SELLERS ^ have used this excuse to arbitrarily collect exorbitant amounts for shipping because "the system". 

Message 3 of 31
latest reply

I turned that requirement off for buyers. Was definitely costing me some sales and I have only had one non-payer over the last couple of years anyways.

I see eBay's point in offering the requirement as some sellers have a lot of buyers playing games.

Posting ID
Message 4 of 31
latest reply

@madcs,

Before you go blaming sellers for the Immediate payment "payment information required".  Even though you have not sold anything in a year go to your Selling buyer requirement page, look beneath the usual requirements.  Then tell us if you authorized anything you see or even received a notice about it. 

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 5 of 31
latest reply

Meh, I'll just refuse to buy more than one item from a seller. This plan will eliminate non-payers, but it will most likely lead to fewer sales as well. Hope it's worth it. 

Message 6 of 31
latest reply

Am confused here.  Every single time I've made an eBay purchase, I've seen the shipping cost BEFORE committing to buying.  So how could a seller arbitrarily collect exorbitant amounts for shipping?  

Message 7 of 31
latest reply

Not all sellers use that option, I have mine unchecked, and I combine shipping as well

Message 8 of 31
latest reply

@soh.maryl Have you done a BIN on more than one item from the same seller lately where this is active?  Here's the example: Seller lists $10 shipping for each different item (shipping a basic box costs the same if you only buy one item or can fill it with more) and I want one of each one.   But, under new BIN (or BO) seller marked things for immediate payment.  So, I go and BIN(or BO) for 1 of each item and my default payment gets charged 3 times, once for each BIN price plus shipping (3 items at $10 shipping each for $30 total in shipping).   Seller says, "sorry that's the way the system works now" but still ships all 3 of my items in one box at a cost of $12 total postage.    (Thats the seller getting an exhorbitant amount on shipping for added profit).

Let's say they are even a good seller and think "wow, you overpaid on shipping" and send me the $18 shipping difference back.  The issue is they've also been charged final value fees and payment fees for each of those individual purchases and payments at the full rate. (Thats how eBay gets a higher cut from immediate payments.)

Message 9 of 31
latest reply

@atlasesattic I commend you on that.  However, how do I as a buyer know that you are one of the good ones and aren't going to require this and will combine shipping for BIN/BO or even B2W items?  Especially if all I get is the description of the item and your basic calculated shipping rate.

Message 10 of 31
latest reply

To the poster, you need to email the seller directly they have this feature and you want to buy a few items. You email them and ask  if they can combine items  x, y + z to zipcode  (xxxxx).  Ask them how much it will cost.  Ask them to turn off the feature so that you can make an offer on the 3 items.  Make sure that you tell them the offers when you email because they might not like your offers at all.

I do not have this feature.  I always combine shipping if possible and I do partial refunds if the buyer paid for multiple items and I can ship them in the same box.

Message 11 of 31
latest reply

Let's say they are even a good seller and think "wow, you overpaid on shipping" and send me the $18 shipping difference back.  The issue is they've also been charged final value fees and payment fees for each of those individual purchases and payments at the full rate. (Thats how eBay gets a higher cut from immediate payments.) 

@madcs 

With a refund (using the scenario above), the seller's FVFs on the refunded amount would be reversed... IPR or not.

Message 12 of 31
latest reply

just to clarify....

"...The issue is they've also been charged final value fees and payment fees for each of those individual purchases and payments at the full rate. (Thats how eBay gets a higher cut from immediate payments.)..."

When the seller refunds shipping, the FVF is also adjusted for the Seller, so there is no "higher cut"

other than that, there are many parts of your discussion I agree with...

Message 13 of 31
latest reply

I've said it once and I'll say it again

This further advances EBay's ongoing agenda to push sellers to offer free shipping. 

You complain about buyer's payment choice or whatever, that's a separate issue. But the inability to combine shipping on multiple items, that is no issue for sellers offering free shipping, so EBay would have no issue with the collateral damage "harming" sellers who charge shipping.

Yes, it does cost sellers extra. Every payment costs a seller $0.30. That is quite annoying for me on principle... 

However, multiple purchases/payments means buyer isn't eligible for or receiving my volume discounts, and I have shipping baked into each item cost, so if I combine the items and reduce cost for myself, I'm already making extra money so that can cover my $0.30 extra fee per.

Also average item sold for me is $50-52 so it's a drop in the bucket anyways.

Also, I had one non-payer in a years time...but this past month I've had 3 or 4. 😛

Message 14 of 31
latest reply

Sadly, you won't know until you get to that step.

Message 15 of 31
latest reply