cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I made an offer and was never notified it was accepted and eBay automatically charged my card.

I made an offer on an item yesterday and did not hear anything.  I only found out that my offer was accepted is that the seller shipped the item.  eBay also charged my credit card.  I would have liked the option of choosing a payment method when I go to checkout.  I use different methods of payment for personal and business.  Is this going to be the norm?  

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

I made an offer and was never notified it was accepted and eBay automatically charged my card.

You had the choice of payment method when you made the offer.  

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

I think ebay should have provided you  the details before sending your offer to the seller for acceptance.

Perhaps ebay may do some fine tuning.

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

You might be better off having a separate ID for business purposes. Perfectly legal, you will just need a 2nd email address.  

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

It's an extension of the buy it now set to require payment right away.  If your offer is accepted, it gets paid right away.  Gets the item sent out quicker.  In some cases your asked to enter the payment method when making an offer.   Too many people were making offers and then not paying if it was accepted.  Some seem to think and offer is just an offer and they get the final word as to buy or not.  Solves that too.

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

I've seen this topic many times now, and some buyers have chosen to remove all their saved payments, remove their auto-login to paypal, and/or not make any future offers at all. I haven't taken any of those actions yet because I haven't seen this when making an offer so far. I go away often and bid on items during that time knowing I have 4 days to pay minimum, some sellers allow 7.  I then complete checkout when I am sure I'll be back in time to receive packages. My life doesn't revolve around ebay deliveries and I want them shipped according to my schedule, not any sooner.

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

Weren't you offered a payment option when you made the offer?

Have a great day
Message 7 of 11
latest reply

@portobello_road,

"I would have liked the option of choosing a payment method when I go to checkout. I use different methods of payment for personal and business. Is this going to be the norm"? 

When you made the offer, you were asked to list a payment method, if you entered your personal use method, you should have entered your Business one. 

The make offer system was changed in the last year.  eBay added an "option" to have accepted offers paid for immediately.  The way they did that was to opt all sellers into it without notifying them that they did that.  So when asked to enter payment info before sending an offer, know that doing that means you will be immediately be charged if it is accepted. 

The immediate payment option also means that if you want to make several offers on a seller's items, you cannot also ask for a combined shipping cost, since you are charged right away.  

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 8 of 11
latest reply

This also happened to me. When I made the offer  ebay DID NOT not ask me to re-verify that I would like to use the credit card on PayPal. The feature appeared as it always had with just a box to offer you amount. After submitting an offer  I waited for the seller to respond. Approximately 24hrs went by and I went looking for the offer to see if they had accepted or countered and saw that now, I couldn’t find it at all. There was not even an offer in my own history box, (though magically there is now after it has shipped).  I thought maybe something had happened to the listing and the buyer took it down. 2 full days after that, I got an email that my item had shipped. Now it’s lost in transit because they shipped to the PO Box on file and not the physical address and my attempts to open a claim with UPS are not helping thus far and the buyer is not supportive either. I’ve been using eBay since 2004 and this has never happened. If this is a new policy I will be removing payments and refraining from offers as the hassle is not worth the generally nominal $25 savings..

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

Original message from 02/28/23.  If you are having a similar problem,  perhaps you would like to start your own thread?    

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

@smart_mouth_trading wrote:

This also happened to me. When I made the offer  ebay DID NOT not ask me to re-verify that I would like to use the credit card on PayPal. The feature appeared as it always had with just a box to offer you amount. After submitting an offer  I waited for the seller to respond. Approximately 24hrs went by and I went looking for the offer to see if they had accepted or countered and saw that now, I couldn’t find it at all. There was not even an offer in my own history box, (though magically there is now after it has shipped).  I thought maybe something had happened to the listing and the buyer took it down. 2 full days after that, I got an email that my item had shipped. Now it’s lost in transit because they shipped to the PO Box on file and not the physical address and my attempts to open a claim with UPS are not helping thus far and the buyer is not supportive either. I’ve been using eBay since 2004 and this has never happened. If this is a new policy I will be removing payments and refraining from offers as the hassle is not worth the generally nominal $25 savings..

It does give you the chance to select your payment method and address in the offer process but the difference in the offer area is subtle and missed by many.  But it was there. 

“Birth certificates show that you were born. Death certificates show that you died. Photographs show that you have lived.” -Unknown
Message 11 of 11
latest reply