cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I hate the seller's pricing tricks

Hello members!

I'm on ebay for years and in these years I'm starting to hate eBay and any other webmarket. 

A lot of seller create lists and put a mess to the list with ultra low price. 

What I mean: If you are looking for a cellphone, you will find a lot of 1$ products. Why? Because sellers put a foil or a tempered glass to the list with 1$ . 

eBay, please remove this possibility!!!!

Message 1 of 40
latest reply
39 REPLIES 39

Re: I hate the seller's pricing tricks

That is exactly the thing I was talking about.  The very first one (I have noticed this as well on a lot of the listing like these now) the 99 cent item is a gift (out of stock) qty 1.  It is simply there to fool the search.

Message 16 of 40
latest reply

Message 17 of 40
latest reply

I wonder what would happen if you went ahead and purchased the (out of stock) or (contact me) for 99 cents?  That (out of stock) is a blatant sign of what they are doing since it isn't greyed out it is actually the name of the item so the seller never had any else the (out of stock) as part of the name would not be there ready for us to purchase.

Message 18 of 40
latest reply

i wonder if ebay is aware, or even cares about the shoppers who give up and buy somewhere else. when i search an item and find the flood of listings like this or the distantly related items, i simply leave and buy somewhere else.  not only is it time consuming and frustrating, it is flat out insulting!  yes, i was searching for a nice crystal chandeleir but your 2 dollar l.e.d. flashlight is a nice alternative, at that price, i can buy several and just stick them on some flypaper above my dinning room table!    better yet, i could just go somewhere else and buy what i really wanted!

Message 19 of 40
latest reply

No, no. This is called variations. You can use the drop-down menu to make your selection, and these modifications are priced individually.

Learn it before you criticize it.

Message 20 of 40
latest reply

@plumbingspecials wrote:

No, no. This is called variations. You can use the drop-down menu to make your selection, and these modifications are priced individually.

Learn it before you criticize it.

an acceptable form of that would be if i was searching 1/2" black pipe and your 'variations' were different lengths of 1/2" black pipe!  finding a .99 cent bathroom air freshener in the variations might get more veiws but it is 'in no way' what the buyer was looking for!  this might not sound like a big deal but if your selling the pipe, i would quit before i found your listing!  it isnt just price. if a know i need it and can wait several days, it is quicker and easier to order it. when i start the endless search, it becomes easier to go to the local hardware store where the 99 cent gadgets are not mixed in with the fittings and pipes.

Message 21 of 40
latest reply

Whatever you want to call it it is very unethical, a darn nuisance, and one that needs to cease.  You can't simply sweep it under the carpet when the darn seller really doesn't have the item it is just there to suck you in as is the case when a seller stupidly puts (out of stock) on the item but everyone can freely purchase it.  Don't even try to take up for these scum sellers who did this nonsesnse and in what I normally purchase they have all been Chinese sellers.

Message 22 of 40
latest reply

An other example: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Yongnuo-YN-35mm-50mm-85mm-100mm-EF-AF-MF-Prime-Fixed-Lens-for-Canon-EOS/152...

I'm looking for canon lens. The price is matters for me. But for 5 USD? Whaaaat? And in the title you won't find lens pen. But the seller put a lens pen to the list for 5 USD.

Yes, I can refine the results, because I know the normal price, but .... in my opinion the seller wastes my time.

And why do I open these offers? Because sometimes they make a mistake and give wrong prices to goods. So, I hope I will be lucky.
Message 23 of 40
latest reply

@hafoster wrote:

@abcelectronics_isimn

Or this -- can you see what you get for 99 cents?

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=(wholesale-contact)duplex

Again not a pricing "trick" or in this case not even any of things that I mentioned. The listing that you linked has tiered qty's hence the price range

Message 24 of 40
latest reply

@hafoster wrote:

@abcelectronics_isimn

Or this -- can you see what you get for 99 cents?

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=(wholesale-contact)duplex

Yes I can see exactly what I am getting, I am getting a duplex outlet cover with 3 led lights. From their feedback it appears to be very poor quality but it is easy to tell what they are selling

Message 25 of 40
latest reply

@hafoster wrote:

@abcelectronics_isimn wrote:

It is not a pricing trick. It could be miscategorization of an items or key word spamming 

Can you see what you get for 99 cents?

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_sop=15&_nkw=(gift-out)beast

This one I would agree with you as they seem to offer nothing for $0.99.

Message 26 of 40
latest reply

A 'variation' on a smartphone is not a screen protector. A 'variation' on an led flashlight is not a squeaky toy. Those are cheats, not variants.

Coffee is my friend.

T&S Tool #10mm ratchet
Message 27 of 40
latest reply

but when I search for an item I should get that item at the search price. not at the price of a unknown (out of stock) gift. You Learn before you criticize.
Message 28 of 40
latest reply

The problem with why this is still allowed can be summed up into one word: ADVERTISING.  This may be shady, cheap, and annoying, but there's nothing actually wrong.  It's a way to lure you in with items you did actually have and sell, but now it's getting you to look at others.  It's no different than when an ad for any other company comes out and they have cases, a mouse, or screen protectors, then they try to sell you a $799 phone as well.

POsTiNg Id
Message 29 of 40
latest reply

In any other venue, this practice would be called a 'bait and switch'.

Coffee is my friend.

T&S Tool #10mm ratchet
Message 30 of 40
latest reply