cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I had a safe place for delivery. USPS gave out the key to someone else.

So today my package was marked as delivered, So after work I went. to go pick up the package at the mailboxes, and when it's a package USPS will leave a parcel box key in your mailbox. Which they did but the key they left for me already had a key in it and it was open and empty. somebody else also got that key. Post office was already closed. Im just wondering if anyone would know the best course to try and get my money back. Should I file a police report? or dispute it with PayPal? is it on USPS to reimburse me? it s not like someone stole it off my porch, USPS Gave the key to a locked box to someone else, same key number and serial number. idk what to do, I'm out 200$ and nothing to show for it. has anybody else experienced mail theft that was the usps fault?

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

That's not what happened. Rather, a thief in your area sent a package to himself, kept the key, waited until the USPS replaced the key, which they leave in the unused parcel boxes. Then waited until another parcel was left there, in which case the USPS put the second key in your box. The thief took your package. There aren't multiple keys to the same box unless one is lost. Tell eBay it is stolen. Maybe they'll reimburse you. They did once for me.

Message 2 of 12
latest reply

@yellowenvelope 

Ebay's Money Back Guarantee does not cover items that were stolen after delivery.

Sorry this happened to you.

*lady*madonna*
Volunteer Ebay Community Mentor

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

Ebay money back DOES NOT reinburse buyers for stolen packages. The buyer needs to take that up with USPS. HOLDING EBAY OR THE SELLER responsible for this is not correct.

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

DO NOT expect Ebay or the seller to reinburse you for this loss. You need to take up a claim with USPS. 

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

As others have posted, contact USPS and i would also file a police report.

Sorry to hear that happened to you.

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

@yellowenvelope 

< the key they left for me already had a key in it and it was open and empty >    

Where I receive my mail there are three parcel lockers.  Does your cluster box have more than one parcel locker?  Is it possible that you saw a key already trapped in the lock for locker "A" but your key was for locker "B" or "C" instead?

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

Contact usps locally, check your payment method for buyer protection you might be covered for the stolen package through your credit card. 

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

@yellowenvelope 

Don't panic just yet, like poster @gosimus stated your package is probably in another parcel locker. If not your carrier still has it. Call the local phone number of your branch and they can locate your missing package via GPS or pay them a visit with tracking number. The key that was already locked into that parcel box was for someone else not for you. Please let us know what happens.

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

Lost key.................  lock should have been changed.

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

@yellowenvelope This would fall on the post office. I had something similar happen to me when I had a PO box. I had a really small PO box so when packages couldn't fit inside they would put a key in my box and put the large package in a larger locker. I'd show up and take the key over to the large locker and get my package, and then put the key inside for the employees to retrieve.

One time when I went to the locker to retrieve a package there were numerous packages in there belonging to someone else along with mine. If I was a thief I could have taken all those packages.

I complained that they shouldn't have given me access to that locker if someone else's package was still inside. The employee said they'll do that if the other person takes too long because they only have several lockers, or sometimes they'll make a mistake and use the locker for more than one person but only one person ends up with the key. He said regardless, any issues like that fall on the post office because it was in their control.

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

Talk to post office. Clearly this involves a neighbor if it's not just a mix-up.

Message 12 of 12
latest reply