cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I fell victim to the "Recycled Tracking Number" Scam

I purchased an auto part from qeautoparts1. The seller "shipped" the item out, but tracking showed a months-old tracking number which had already been delivered to some other person somewhere else. I figured this was a simple typo error and messaged the seller asking for a correct tracking number. No response.

Several days later, after failing to hear from the seller, I attempted to open a Return, only to see the following page:

"The return window was closed.
We can't process your request to return this item because it's outside the seller's return window. Please contact the seller directly to return this item or see whether you qualify for eBay Money Back Guarantee."

It appears that the seller circumvented the Ebay buyer protection system by using an old tracking number to trick Ebay into thinking the transaction had been completed. It also appears that the seller ships out just enough real products to receive just enough positive feedback to not get caught.

I did not use Paypal for this transaction, so I have opened a dispute with my bank.

Do I have any other recourse for this situation?
Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Re: I fell victim to the "Recycled Tracking Number" Scam

did the tracking # show that the package was delivered to the same zip code as yours?

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

No, to another state, and months prior...

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

You need to contact ebay  and explain what happened. Click the help and support link at bottom of page. Explain the date was before your purchase.

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

@element2631,

These days you have to check seller's feedback profiles and not just go by their percentage. On the profile page click on the numbers of negatives and neutrals received to read only those comments.  It seem your seller has done this before and given their item location they are either drop shipping from China or getting all of their stock from there. All of their warehouse locations are in known areas sellers who import from China use.  

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 5 of 5
latest reply