cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I bid. I won. I paid. Then the seller canceled the order!

I bid. I won. I paid expediently (as always)! TWICE in TWO weeks with TWO different sellers, my auction transactions were canceled (and money was refunded) BY the SELLERS the day after the sale with NO message or reasoning provided! And, get this, because the sellers canceled the transactions,  I was not able to leave feedback.  I won both auctions on the opening bid, so it is obvious the sellers weren't willing to complete the transactions because they were losing money.  Seller cancelations must be a new, and deceitful benefit to listing items on auction without paying reserve fees. 

What has eBay come to? There was a time when I had a store on eBay, and as a seller, I HAD to complete transactions, even if it meant losing money.  As I seller, I was never able to cancel an order.  If I made an inventory mistake, I had to refund the money and take the negative feedback from a disappointed customer. What's the point of using the auction platform? 

Oh, and as a buyer, there is absolutely NO way to chat or email with an eBay customer support person. There is a 20 minute phone wait.  It's time to forget all about eBay and turn to their competitors! 

Message 1 of 17
latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

Similar experience: I bid. I won. I paid...

This has happened to me as well. More than once. Frequently the items are relisted. It is unethical.

As both a buyer and sometimes seller on Ebay I understand the motivations on both sides.

At the end of the day, I have sold many items for much less than I might have received because I started most of my listings at a base minimum price that at least covered my wholesale cost. ( Or at a BIN/BO ). I never sold stolen goods or flea market finds so I could not afford to lose it all, as there was no "found money" in it for me.

When you start an auction at .99 or a really low amount there is always a great chance that bidding wars can really take a selling price to new heights. As such I know I left a lot of money on the table. However, there is also the chance that items will sell at or near the opening bid price. I could never afford to lose money. 

This is the sellers choice and decision to make. Not after the transaction when things don't appear to go well.

Sellers need to understand this and short of an honest keypunch error ( such as a decimal point in the wrong direction or a sincere uneasy feeling or "vibe" coming from the buyer that gives the seller pause there may be trouble ahead) need to honor what I though on Ebay was a legally binding business commitment.

Buyers need to honor this as well and pay on a timely basis.

When I was selling I had a very small window to ship within and was demerited even when I shipped ahead of schedule because the carrier wa tardy in scanning and acknowledging receipt of goods, yet some buyers would wait until the last hour of the last day of the unpaid item case in which to pay. Ironically, this was usually for the 2 buck items. LOL.

At the end of the day, do repeat business with good sellers and don't ever do business again with the poor ones.

Message 16 of 17
latest reply

Similar experience: I bid. I won. I paid...

Then my seller sent me a message to tell me there has been a mistake with the shipment costs and asked if i wanted to pay some extra for shipment to my address (EU). Obviously i wasn't willing to pay, i did check the shipmentcost for the item before i placed my bid....

So.... now we wait... there is no response after my reply to the seller.

How about a seller should be responsible for fullfillment like a buyer is responsible to pay for an auction won and closed? Seems quite simple to me.

Message 17 of 17
latest reply