cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I turn off automatic payment to sellers that accept my best offer?

I would like to choose how I pay a seller instead of an automatic payment.

Message 1 of 59
latest reply
58 REPLIES 58

Re: How do I turn off automatic payment to sellers that accept my best offer?

I agree.

Also, there's no option to use an eBay gift card.

If I select PayPal, will I get the option to use PayPal Credit?

Message 46 of 59
latest reply

Without buyers, there isn't much ebay can offer a seller.

Message 47 of 59
latest reply

@ghost-star wrote:

This means it's impossible to use eBay coupons, eBay gift cards, and even promo codes. 

Wait, what?

rseuqinh_0-1707505987711.jpeg

So what's the Discounts area for @ghost-star the last time you loaded up for your autopay?

Message 48 of 59
latest reply

OMG I can't believe I missed that. Thank you!

Message 49 of 59
latest reply

@jeb1701 

No.  No Pay in 4 either.  No googlepay, applepay, spendable funds etc. 

Message 50 of 59
latest reply

Yes, it definitely increases the cost of shipping to buyers because orders can't be combined as before. This is the main reasons I don't bid on offer-auctions the sell individual items, unless the items being sold as one lot. Ebay is actually loosing money on some auction by this stupid policy. Not even mentioning that dishonest sellers get money up-front and don't ship the item. What a stupid policy and an abuse of buyers.

Message 51 of 59
latest reply

@ittybitnot wrote:

@jeb1701 

No.  No Pay in 4 either.  No googlepay, applepay, spendable funds etc. 

I'm not so sure about that.  The last time I bought something that required immediate payment (and paypal is my default option) it popped the paypal screen where on there I could choose from my balance, my crypto, my paypal mastercard, or any of the other cards I have linked, pay in 4, paypal credit, etc.  They were all available.  Its not like you choose pay and its just zap done.  At least not with paypal linked.  It forces the option pop up for paypal and you get to choose the final destination.  Or so it did the last time I used it, which was very recently.

So you may want to check that.  I will the next time I purchase an item with an immediate payment required.

Gator08041971  •  Volunteer Community Mentor 2024
Member of eBay since 2000

Message 52 of 59
latest reply

It's a complete crock by the seller. Making offers is just a button, if the seller didn't ship, they aren't out anything, they are just lazy and entitled. Regardless, the buyer should get to choose whatever payment method they want. I use different payment methods all the time, and over one or two days wait till I have over $100, and purchase all at once, for the 6 month no interest program. The buyer should also get to choose whatever shipping address they want, I ship to multiple addresses all the time as well. The auto pay feature should be illegal, hopefully we get some government regulation to crack down on the scammer sellers that use this feature. I sell as well, and was upset ebay had it on by default, because I hold more honor and integrity than that.

Message 53 of 59
latest reply

It’s a complete joke that a buyer can’t make multiple offers anymore or they will rack up shipping on each item. Then they are stuck relying on the honor system and the seller to refund all of the excess shipping fees paid in. It also can trigger bank fraud alerts, just as it has done for me, when getting multiple $2 and 3 dollar refunds in the middle of the night or whenever a seller gets around to it. I actually had my bank freeze my account because I got a bunch of shipping refunds one at a time for one seller. Even though the refunds come from eBay and/or PayPal, the auto system at banks can’t read that. On top of it all, the refunds can take a few days. It’s a pitiful situation and one of the main reasons I have backed way off of eBay, it’s just too much work! There should be a cart that items go in when making several offers with the same seller, ebay just doesn’t want to give that instant payment up and a seller doesn’t have to refund the excess shiooing if they choose not to. I’ve had sellers that say they don’t know how to issue refunds. I buy alot of antique paper items that can all ship for $8. media mail and yet I will sometimes pay $50 to $100 in excess shipping because of this horrible ebay autopay on offers. I absolutely cannot stand having to ask for a refund and worry that I’ve way overpaid with the same seller that I’m trying to continue doing business with. It’s so time consuming and then to have to be on the lookout for the refund…give me a break, I can buy elsewhere…everywhere for that matter, as there are so many option.

ebay folks…if you ever read any of this, you had best make a change because the buyers don’t really  need your platform and your sellers are afraid of you. It’s really gotten to be one oversized crock of you know what!!!

Message 54 of 59
latest reply

I'm a buyer I've been on eBay since I was old enough to get on there I have almost perfect feedback. I went out this morning and got a gift card to make a purchase and got screwed with the autopay and didn't get to use my gift card the seller accepted my offer it's probably not worth it for me to cancel and try to reorder it but I'm not very happy because it wasn't supposed to go on that credit card

Message 55 of 59
latest reply

What, please, does what you wrote, (as below), mean?  I now have two "recurring debit card charges" from two different Sellers, for single purchases.  I also have lengthy transcripts from eBay Customer Service that document that I have explored every variable, including with my bank.  As it happens, I have raised the question of whether it is due to something on the Seller end, and your comment suggests that it does.  eBay Customer Service did not suggest this as a possibility/solution.

The "recurring debit card charges" have never occurred before, and I use the same debit card as always.  Also, eBay states it does not offer anything that has a recurring debit card charge.  Your thoughts please.  Thank you. 

"Once eBay puts your BUYER ID into the forced program, there is nothing to be done unless the seller turns off the "default to yes" that eBay placed on their account preferences for managing buyers.   The latest also includes the upfront requirement in order to BID."

Message 56 of 59
latest reply

Because there may be another way that the buyer wants to pay, ie business credit card for business expense or just want to pay another way period.

Message 57 of 59
latest reply

I intended to use a different card.

Message 58 of 59
latest reply

Hi everyone,

Due to the age of this thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thank you for understanding. 

Message 59 of 59
latest reply