cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

High pricing !

What is going on with eBay ! Why is everything so expensive now ?  I'm looking at used items with high pricing on them ! They're almost as much as the items I can pay for brand new at a retail store, I am about ready to close my account this is getting ridiculous ! EBay wake up !

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

High pricing !

Ebay has nothing to do with prices. Most are individual sellers. I can always find a decent price on most items. It really depends on the items. Ebay keeps raising their commission, so Sellers have to adjust prices. Also if they are offering free shipping(which reality check, isn't really free) they have to raise prices to compensate. The USPS raises its rates 3 to 4 times a year lately. What is the item you are looking at? Are you looking at warehouse operation sellers? I also take into consideration am I saving money on tax and gas buying online? And if the item is still in high demand gently used, sellers have no reason to give it away. I remember a great line another person said on the boards. Are the sellers being greedy or is the buyer being greedy trying to "steal" the item from the seller? 

Message 2 of 12
latest reply

High pricing !

Do you realize that eBay does not set the prices on items listed on eBay?

The SELLER is the one who sets the prices on his items.  

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

High pricing !

Check the actual selling prices. If they sell that high, that's the market price and you have to acknowledge it. As a seller, I'm witnessing the exact opposite. To maintain a revenue level I want to have, I'm selling 30% more items for 30% less money.

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

High pricing !

@casio189689,

What type of items are you searching for?  If they are collectible items prices can rise or fall quickly, for several different reasons.  

There are also many items that may have been superseded by a New & Improved version, that is not the same quality as the original one, so the used ones go up in price.  Those are just a few examples why you might be seeing higher prices on used items, some other ones have already been suggested, and there are several other ones.

You should do an Advanced search for what ever it is you are trying to buy, for Sold - Completed listings of the item, sorted by most recent sales.  If you find the items are selling for a high price, there is a reason for it.  If most are selling for less keep searching until you find sellers who are listing the items for a more reasonable price.

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 5 of 12
latest reply

High pricing !

Everything has gotten expensive EVERYWHERE…

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

High pricing !

we are all aware of the inflation and rising prices, but most things are pretty competitive on these online platforms.

Could you offer one or two specific listings/item numbers that triggered your response?

Thanks!

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

High pricing !

People charge what the market will bear.

If you don't like the price, please don't buy it.

Get in your car and drive to that retail store and buy it.

No seller is twisting your arm to buy anything.

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

High pricing !

When a new item becomes scarce, for example out of stock or retired from production, prices on a used item may increase drastically, however it may then sell infrequently or not all all.

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

High pricing !

Pricing on eBay can be influenced by broader market trends, including fluctuations in the prices of new retail items, changes in consumer preferences, and seasonal demand.

Use eBay's alert feature to receive notifications when new listings matching your criteria are posted. This can help you stay informed about new opportunities to purchase items at more favorable prices.

If you're consistently finding high prices on eBay, consider exploring other online marketplaces or retail channels where you may be able to find better deals.

Ultimately, if you're feeling frustrated and dissatisfied with your eBay experience, it may be worth considering whether the platform is still the best option for your purchasing needs.

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

High pricing !

Selling online is an easy entry business.

There are many, many new sellers many of whom know nothing about what current items sell for, they are basing their prices on what they paid for the item less an arbitrary discount.

They are probably making some sales to people who know as little as they do.

Your observations are correct for sellers in some categories which are populated by sellers who have not come in contact with reality.

Fortunately, the turnover is sellers is high and many of those sellers will be gone to be replaced by other sellers, some of whom may be more realistic.

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

High pricing !

Have you shopped at Goodwill lately! YIKES! 

Message 12 of 12
latest reply