cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HELP! eBay / PayPal Suddenly Declines Cards

After years of purchases using the same cards, a few this past month, suddenly NONE of four credit cards is accepted. The message says something wrong with card data. Nonsense, four cards, nothing changed, correct data input over and over again, "Your payment didn't go through. Please select a different payment option and try again."  Used to be you could get a live person via phone, but since Covid-19, no way either eBay or PayPal. I did get an email reply from an eBay rep, but basically the same thing, check your data. This really hurts, there were important things I needed to buy asap and I'm stonewalled out of the blue. HELP,  anybody. 

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

Now I'm wondering if by some fluke the seller had my name blocked. I used a different card with a different name and it went through. There's no way he would have known me from Adam, but maybe that was the problem. Also, my cards on PayPal are fine, though eBay wouldn't allow me to use PayPal or to switch to the card that works. I dunno.
Message 2 of 4
latest reply

@alafoo-0,

"my cards on PayPal are fine, though eBay wouldn't allow me to use PayPal or to switch to the card that works".

Go to your purchase history and open the listing. Then look under the price to see if  it says the seller accepts PayPal, and the logo is there.  If not then the seller likely is using eBay's managed payments. 

"Now I'm wondering if by some fluke the seller had my name blocked".

If you had been blocked by the seller it would have been your username not your personal name that was blocked, and you would not have gotten past the commit to buy button. 

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 3 of 4
latest reply

Sellers in Managed Payments accept Paypal so I can't see that being the problem.

Message 4 of 4
latest reply